Plums

Yellow Bear

Freeze them for the future. They freeze very well as long as you don't defrost before cooking. I split mine and take the stone away and then freeze individually on baking trays until they are like 'ducky stones'. You can then either bag them and suck the air out as I do , or put them all in a plastic box/carton. Because they are frozen solid they will not stick together and you can thyen go and get a couple of handfuls when you want a crumble or a pie OR to make more plum vodka. We have just used the last pack from last season and now stocking up for another year. We have Golden Gauge, Victoria, Czar, Damazenes, and Bullus all absolutely laden this season.

Bucket loads around the cottage at the moment. Little Lord Seagrave and I went out picking last weekend - great sport!

As to what to do with them. Wash them and stick em in a deep dish with some spices and some sugar. Cover and bake them for 45 minutes or so, so that they're hot and bubbly. The resulting compote can be enjoyed hot or cold with custard or honey as a quick dessert.

If you increase the sugar and spices a bit, and pot them up into sterilised jars, you might be able to keep them until Christmas.

LS

Bucket loads around the cottage at the moment. Little Lord Seagrave and I went out picking last weekend - great sport!

As to what to do with them. Wash them and stick em in a deep dish with some spices and some sugar. Cover and bake them for 45 minutes or so, so that they're hot and bubbly. The resulting compote can be enjoyed hot or cold with custard or honey as a quick dessert.

If you increase the sugar and spices a bit, and pot them up into sterilised jars, you might be able to keep them until Christmas.

LS

Speaking from years of experience you will soon tire of this. Last year we had about 30 kg from the one tree and we still have some left as jam and frozen - so far this year we have had about 5kg with probably this twice again still to ripen.

You can't get bored with crumble, were on our second this week, brought some into work family asking for some when we go over, good crop this year and really tasty for almost no effort.

Kids are helping themselves, they just fell off dad??

Chuck in some free blackberries as well delicious 😋

You can't get bored with crumble, were on our second this week, brought some into work family asking for some when we go over, good crop this year and really tasty for almost no effort.

Kids are helping themselves, they just fell off dad??

Chuck in some free blackberries as well delicious 😋

Yup - loads of ripe blackberries already!

Love it.

LS