stock alteration

ips

I have seen this modification done on a couple of shooters guns and it looked a very neat job. The thing is that both stocks were made from very plain wood and there would have been little difficulty in matching the new wood. The issue you will have with the EELL is matching the new wood into your highly figured stock. It could ruin the aesthetic quality of your stock.

I have seen this modification done on a couple of shooters guns and it looked a very neat job. The thing is that both stocks were made from very plain wood and there would have been little difficulty in matching the new wood. The issue you will have with the EELL is matching the new wood into your highly figured stock. It could ruin the aesthetic quality of your stock.

Amen to that Mate..

Don't think you could get it bent enough to be honest plus its a bit risky particularly with a sideplate type stock (I would think)

The comb raiser has made a huge difference as it was as flat as a witches but it looks awful on such a nice gun 😞

Don't think you could get it bent enough to be honest plus its a bit risky particularly with a sideplate type stock (I would think)

The comb raiser has made a huge difference as it was as flat as a witches but it looks awful on such a nice gun 😞

Drop a PM I'm not in a position to help but I can recommend you a couple of guy who can.

Not ideal I know but Beretta sell a clear rubber comb raiser that would still allow the figure of the wood to be seen. The comb raiser is soft and sticks on to the stock and can be removed without damaging the finish on the stock. It comes in 3mm and 6mm. I have used the 6mm one on an oil finished game stock and it worked well. If the pad loses it adhesive property you simply wash it in warm soapy water. When removed from the stock there was no residue left.

Not ideal I know but Beretta sell a clear rubber comb raiser that would still allow the figure of the wood to be seen. The comb raiser is soft and sticks on to the stock and can be removed without damaging the finish on the stock. It comes in 3mm and 6mm. I have used the 6mm one on an oil finished game stock and it worked well. If the pad loses it adhesive property you simply wash it in warm soapy water. When removed from the stock there was no residue left.

I meant to add that one of my friends uses this Beretta comb raiser on a regular basis. He likes it but does feel that it affects the amount of cast on his Beretta sporting stock. I was not aware of this when using my comb raiser on my game gun but he may well be right.

Have you considered having the pitch ie. the angle of the heel altered ? This can alter the attitue of the gun by the way it sits into the shoulder and give the impression of lifting the gun up to the face .I have found this often the case for Lady shooters , it can also give a more consistant mount and improve swing as the gun is less likely to move on the shoulder espessialy on the right to left crossers and also lessen the precived recoil .

Interesting, no didn't consider that. I wonder if that is why the butt slipped down out of my shoulder "sometimes" before I fitted the rubber pad. ??

One assumes if that is a pitch issue hen pitch is not enough, so would more or less pitch effectively raise the comb as you allude to ??

Considered it but on a game gun ....not so sure. Would definitely do the job though.

Personally I would be trading the gun in for something more suitable before even considering putting an adjustable comb raiser on a high end game gun. Too much of a traditionalist for that!

Personally I would be trading the gun in for something more suitable before even considering putting an adjustable comb raiser on a high end game gun. Too much of a traditionalist for that!

i would not get to hung up on tradition these days,as long as it solved his problem.and surely a true traditionalist would only be using side by side for game.

i would not get to hung up on tradition these days,as long as it solved his problem.and surely a true traditionalist would only be using side by side for game.

This I can't argue with, in fact it has spured me on to knuckle down with the sxs 😁

Sorry an adjustable comb raiser on a game gun just looks wrong.

If we are speaking about tradition the o/u was being used for game shooting as long as the sxs. Purdey were manufacturing o/u shotguns as early as 1871. While the sxs were more popular with game shooters, o/u's were available to the more enlightened.

Edited by miroku_fan