Old English Gallyon on its way

davids3511

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello, if that was me david and i purchased the gun, i would just start with a leather butt pad for your son and wait to find like before in HOLTS, use it shoot it and over time maybe the barrel/ action clean/service/ etc, maybe a gallyon gun case, we have seen on here some great examples of nice english shotguns from before and after refurbs that will set the gun to go on shooting for years to come, good luck to you both

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

hello, yes it is a sad fact but true when you refurb some fine english shotguns, you may not get your money back on cost yet i have see quite a lot selling at RFDs for a lot of money, so my thought to david if he buys the gallyon and spends money on keep it and enjoy using it, i had from years back a few good english guns and most would not be worth now what i paid then OH unless you take my first S/S a J HUGHES 12 bore n/e my dad bought me in old money £23 10 shillings, and i had to work that off by a year of school holidays on the farm/ fruit/ spud picking, HAPPY DAYS :rolleyes:

ring Richard Gallyon...he will sort it for you........my mate bought a Baikle off him which was greatly altered for him ...as he only has half a hand due to an accident...he didnt charge silly prices either......

Edited by ditchman

Some new pics just in.

If it were mine I would steam those marks out best I could and then sand down, stain and oil finish. It would look 10 times better than it does, to gain extra length I would buy a Pachmayr slip on pad, that would give the extra length required and cover up the extension, the leather pads mentioned in other posts don't fit that well and are imo clumsy

If it were mine I would steam those marks out best I could and then sand down, stain and oil finish. It would look 10 times better than it does, to gain extra length I would buy a Pachmayr slip on pad, that would give the extra length required and cover up the extension, the leather pads mentioned in other posts don't fit that well and are imo clumsy

hello, your right on the pads but it suits the single 12 it is now on, never found the pachmayer when i was looking to get one, the traditional looks good and 3/4 of an inch extra length

Fairly sure it's Tanners he uses, BIL was adamant his Gayllon had to be fitted by the maker, when I asked a direct question I got the asnwer.

when i was there last sitting in the kitchen having a cup of coffee...he was bemoaning the fact he has no sons but only daughters...and work was still being carried out in a converted barn at the back of his house....that was a fair while ago tho'

I posted a topic last week asking what I could do about a stock extension on a gun I was considering buying - https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/361308-stock-extention-in-wood-on-old-gun-can-i-take-it-off/

There were some great ideas, I'm going to try a ebony extension with a best London orange Silvers pad. I'll buy more ebony than I need and practice until I can do it right before doing it for real.

I've attached some pics of how it looks now and if anybody could give advise of where to start I'd be very grateful or better yet if anybody has links to where I can see it done that would be great. Loads of topics have the pics missing due to some photobucket upgrade issue.

I've raised dents before but not on this scale, if i can't get a dent up do I sand it out, fill it or just sand normally and live with the dent? Same with the scratches. Do I raise the grain and seal it, if so, how? Do I stain it before oiling it, if so what stain do I use. What oils best, boiled linseed im guessing?

Do I take the stock off the gun to do it? I have an old Baikal gun I let others use, do I do that first to get experience in refurbing the wood?

As you can probably tell by now I'm clueless but I'm willing to learn and put the time into it. If anyone can offer any help i'd be very grateful. Would love to have this gun looking fab again for sons Christmas present.

Lastly how do I get that awful extension off without damaging the stock further?

Another angle

post-62140-0-22539300-1503169102_thumb.jpeg

post-62140-0-38826800-1503169306_thumb.jpeg

Ebony is a ****** to work with it hard as hell and if left in sealed for more than a little while it can split on it own. I apply stock oil to any bit i pause work on.

Use red oil or alkenut root to bring up the stock colour then seal the grain. Then a good stock oil not carp like truoil there varnishes.

Dents and scratches are personal steam up what you can then sand through to remove what you can without removing to much wood. Fill or leave the rest. Then raise the grain etc.

All of this is done with the stock off the action but don't sand the wood to much at contact points or the wood to metal fit will look rubbish and don't round the sharp edges again it look carp.

Ebony is a ****** to work with it hard as hell and if left in sealed for more than a little while it can split on it own. I apply stock oil to any bit i pause work on.

Use red oil or alkenut root to bring up the stock colour then seal the grain. Then a good stock oil not carp like truoil there varnishes.

Dents and scratches are personal steam up what you can then sand through to remove what you can without removing to much wood. Fill or leave the rest. Then raise the grain etc.

All of this is done with the stock off the action but don't sand the wood to much at contact points or the wood to metal fit will look rubbish and don't round the sharp edges again it look carp.

What do you seal the grain with and whats the best stock oil to use?