Old English Gallyon on its way

davids3511

May i suggest an ally spacer i have done it .ground it to size and polished it on my buffing machine it looked realy nice. I have enjoyed woodworking for many years and woodturning. My greatest hate is to see a piece of wood added to a stock. In my mind it never looks right.

Edited by johnphilip

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I've bitten off more than I can chew. Gun looks great but I've alot of learning to do. Where the hell do I start? Forend has a crack running half the length, stock has piece missing where it joins the action, scratches are deep and chequering is sporting some deep bumps. Help!

post-62140-0-86309600-1503498606_thumb.jpg

post-62140-0-35644600-1503498627_thumb.jpg

post-62140-0-87394200-1503498646_thumb.jpg

post-62140-0-36452600-1503498981_thumb.jpg

Edited by davids3511

Forend crack. If this is a non-ejector gun, there may be no working parts inside the wood, apart from the latch, and the crack could be of little importance. Crack might be of more concern if the woodwork houses an ejector mechanism.

Wood missing where stock joins action. Having looked at the photo, I wonder whether a larger piece might have broken off in the past, and been repaired. If it has been like that for years, and there is no sign of movement, there may be little to worry about. Anyway, perhaps I have mis-interpreted the picture.

post-75754-0-40408100-1503510459_thumb.jpg

If you were to have the stock repaired, forend glued (you could do that yourself) chequering re done, extension fitted and then refinished professionally you will be looking at a minimum of £400, then the barrels need re browning, another £100. I'm afraid to say it really isn't worth spending that on a gun that has seen better days.

If you want to use it, glue the forend (run superglue into the crack) have a go at refinishing the stock but only up to the chequering and fit a slip on extension pad.

Edited by triumphant59

1st strip wood from metal.

2nd degrease remove gun oil from the walnut. Brush out chequering at this stage too.

3rd repair cracks there will most likely be a few.

4th raise dents

5th fit and extension

6th sand for refinishing fill dents and gouges if desired

7th oil finish properly

8th rechequer (optional of course but if you do don't worry about sanding over old chequering or filling it with oil)

While all this happening get barrels triggergaurd top leaver safety etc all reblacked.

Put it all back togeyher and enjoy a few months work and it'll be ready for Christmas maybe!

hello, more to the point have you had a shot with it ? if it were mine looking at WWs list i would go 1/2/3/5 then sand for refinishing and worst dents/guages sorted, and last oil finish/ keep as much chequer as possable and stock refurb that shows a bit of use, i would only just get the barrels blacked, its an old nice english shotgun with history,

I wouldn't black the barrels.

I would rebrown them, that'll show the damascus off...

hello, yes your right Charles, i think theres a PW member called barrel browner and doing a search came up with a face book page of stevens and johnson ? 07714830867, maybe its the same person, it shows some lovely work on shotgun barrels, something else for david to think on :hmm:

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

hello, yes your right Charles, i think theres a PW member called barrel browner and doing a search came up with a face book page of stevens and johnson ? 07714830867, maybe its the same person, it shows some lovely work on shotgun barrels, something else for david to think on :hmm:

Blacking or Browning will show of the Damascus nicely were luck on here to have 2 exceptional barrel men in.

Barrel Browner Paul at Stevens and Johnson

And

Barrel Blacker Dan from Bromley and sons

Neither will disappoint.