Oxfordshire neewbe

Hello all

I'm based on Oxfordshire (wallingford) and just starting out and was wondering how is the best way to find a field to shoot over I'm using a air rifle until my licence comes through which should not be a problem as only really after woodies and the odd rabbit

Also if there is anyone local and that wants to show me the ropes event better

Thanks all

S

I shoot pigeons in fields with both shotgun and air rifle and my setup is usually different for both .

With an airgun you have to get the birds to land .which is a lot harder .the the airgun

I dont use a magnet .but do use a single flapper .I always try to set up near somewhere the birds can perch high up .like a tree but power lines are better .if I'm just in an open field with no elevated perch position I set up the hide against the hedge with the wind in my face (opposite to shotgunning )

This way the birds generally approach from behind me and fly over (no problem in a low roofed hide )

And land infront with thier back to me .presenting the perfect shot placement for an easy kill (between the shoulder blades).this should mean the bird drops forwards on to thier belly presenting a perfect decoy bird .so you don't need to leave the hide .this can be very effective as I've had multiple birds drop in the pattern and kill a few before they realise whats going on .

Most ive had like this is 28 in a sesh .

Often I set up with the shot gun and a single shot has cleared the area .and i wished id brought the airgun instead.

Ps I'm a huge advocate of .177 .but for pigeons like this a .22 can be really effective

You're in Wallingford and you want to go shooting at this time of the year??? Get on the bridge ,Man, and jump into the river to impress the Hot Totty that swarms to your town in the summer - if you cannot get Jiggy in Wallingford in the summer there's summit wrong :sad1:

It's Wallingford there is no hot Totty at any tine of the year and definitely none I would want to get jiggly with if you did there would be something wrong

And with all the rubbish under that bridge you would not catch me jumping of that I will kayak down the Thames maybe a spot of fishing and dog training but that's it ‍♀️

So this time of year it's golf, kayaking, getting the motorcycle out and a spot of shooting and the gym as doc says I need to tone up and loose a few

Edited by Simonmealing001

Strewth, things must have changed-used to go every year back in the mid 90's and Camp by the bridge.Place was full of Totty including many French exchange students and we could pull most nights - there was a Pub both sides of the River but the one nearest the bridge was best for the Ladies, such a shame it appears to be no more :sad1: