Windy day on the peas!

Wilts#Dave

Had a cracking day yesterday in one of the strongest winds I've decoyed in.....made the shooting harder but made for cracking shots with long birds flying into the wind going backwards when hit and some doing some real aerobatics to get into the pattern from height!

A block of peas that pigeons haven't shown any interest in from drilling until now, been watching the field for over a week and even though another shooter had a go in the week that just pushed the birds to where we wanted to get anyway!

Setup at 13:30 , finished just before 18:00. Due to the wind there was no hedge to set up by so went for a bet hide in more or less open ground with just a grass bank behind the hide which worked a treat.

Steady flow of pigeons all afternoon, hundreds went over at a great height and couldn't get in to the decoys....plenty did though and picked 124.

Been a really good spell from the first bag on laid barley through to now, not sure how much longer it's going to continue though!

68F789A5-A558-4AC7-B708-893D4B35CC5C.jpg

Just realised Photobucket no longer works, any idea how I can post pics now?

Its very easy to upload your own pictures from your PC, make a folder called 'PW pic uploads' or name it what you like, then you will need to resize your picture to about 950 pixels wide and save as jpg in the folder you have just created.

Once you have your pictures resized and in your folder just follow the pictures below, just make sure that any one picture is no more than 300kb, resizing and saving as jpg should automatically make them smaller than 300kb, if not try reducing the width to 800 pixels.

post-28535-0-00330400-1503245303_thumb.jpg

post-28535-0-87273000-1503245305_thumb.jpg

Edited by old'un

Excellent day and a good report to go with it Dave , our Peas are just a distant memory now , we had a few half tidy days during early growth and hardly no more till just before vining , then we started on the first laid bits of barley .

old'un....... I'm sure your way is easy when you know how , but I am a complete dunce when it comes to trying to work that out. me and my daughter followed the way Danger Mouse explained the way to do it on imgBB.com , I haven't used it yet but I think I have cracked it and hopefully be able to put a photo on the forum before to long .

Excellent day and a good report to go with it Dave , our Peas are just a distant memory now , we had a few half tidy days during early growth and hardly no more till just before vining , then we started on the first laid bits of barley .

old'un....... I'm sure your way is easy when you know how , but I am a complete dunce when it comes to trying to work that out. me and my daughter followed the way Danger Mouse explained the way to do it on imgBB.com , I haven't used it yet but I think I have cracked it and hopefully be able to put a photo on the forum before to long .

That's ok mate, each to their own :good:

There are no vining peas grown round here, ours are for feed so sprayed off and left to go rock hard and spilling out of the pods before they're combined (which is when the pigeons usually really hit them if they're going to)!

Rarely ever get a decent bag when they're green.

Anyway back to your day on the peas, yep, you cannot beat a good wind and as you say it makes for some interesting shooting, that's not a bag of pigeons for 4:1/2 hours shooting, hope you get a few more days like it. :good:

As a rule I prefer it a little less windy haha, was hard work keeping the hide poles from falling over!

Was a nice steady session with no lulls or having to wait long for a pigeon to appear, but not too frantic either.

Not sure there will be another day like that on them but hopefully another decent opportunity will turn up!

Another success and reward for your observations.

A field of peas two miles from my house has been shot by others possibly twenty times since being drilled. It has now been sprayed off, the peas are falling out of the pods and the pigeons are still on it.

As a rule I prefer it a little less windy haha, was hard work keeping the hide poles from falling over!

Was a nice steady session with no lulls or having to wait long for a pigeon to appear, but not too frantic either.

Not sure there will be another day like that on them but hopefully another decent opportunity will turn up!

Another good read and result.

I too prefer it to not be too windy. A steady breeze is plenty for me.