When will cartridge prices rise again?

Whilst the pound slides against most major currencies then of course it will continue.

Main cause is NOT the pound sliding down, although that does not help. Real cause is that dimwit in North Korea firing off missiles.....All the major players are back to building bomb shelters etc... plus China,s economy picking up again, and they use an awful lot of lead!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So when the pound is better , prices will plummet.

If the pound was to blame, then prices should fall when the pound rises? The pound has been fairly stable for a year now, in fact up a bit since June....real cause is the idiot in North Korea firing off rockets, and scaring other countries.....Lead is used in nuclear bunkers......

Main cause is NOT the pound sliding down, although that does not help. Real cause is that dimwit in North Korea firing off missiles.....All the major players are back to building bomb shelters etc... plus China,s economy picking up again, and they use an awful lot of lead!

Bloody Hell...............what weight of shot is in one of those things then ?

• 2 weeks later...

But steel prices have also gone up to near Lead prices so thinking of just using 410 in 14oz home loading but price of powder is twice that of normal powder so near negates the change definatly gone from a relatively cheap sport to a very expensive one and that's just for us practise clay shoots

Guest cookoff013

i remember when steel shells were £60-70 / 1000, and that was for 1oz or 7/8oz #7 from gamebore. i shot billions of these.

when they went up in price, the general stock excuse was that lead prices increased, or china was buying so much it fluctuated the market.

its odd, because there are no lead in steel shells.

funny that?

All the UK cartridge makers seem to drive Range rovers and have quite luxurious lifestyles.

Won't that only happen if they're running a successful company producing what people wish to buy at a price that they deem to be acceptable? Lower the quality, increase the price and they'll soon be driving a Ford Fiesta. The only thing that would change that is if they're working a cartel.

Still £165 for jockers here at the moment at local RFD.

At a county fair over the weekend E.J Churchill had the Gamebore Velocity + Fibre Wads 28g for £170 a thou.. frustratingly I didn't have my SGC!

NSI at my local claygrounds still under £170 a thou.

Another local clay ground were i got my super fasts for £168 a thousand are now priced at £185 for plastic wad and £193 for fibre as they are selling the new batches...

They still have eley first selects 28g plastic 7.5's for £171 a thou.. £168 if you buy 3000.

Think I'll stock up on Jockers and NSI

Nsi for under 170 is a good deal. I find them a smooth shooting cart that patterns well in my gun.

Must agree I've been trying a few different cartridges, at my level I don't notice much of a difference between any of the brands sub £200 so try to get deals that get me most practice! NSI felt good to me from a couple of boxes a friend gave me to try! Superfasts feel way different to any of the other carts I've tried though with a bit more recoil which I don't mind but they don't half create some smoke that lingers in the barrel! Think I'm going to get some NSI or jockers for skeet and use the superfasts for DTL.

Does anyone know what sort of markup the shops make on Cartridges, I imagine they must use 30% markup as a bare minimum to make it worth while, though a bit like asking a farmer if this year was good

Be interesting to know, what's the markup on a gun? As members at our clay grounds we get 10% off anything except for guns and cartridges so could be comparable?

Guest cookoff013

Does anyone know what sort of markup the shops make on Cartridges, I imagine they must use 30% markup as a bare minimum to make it worth while, though a bit like asking a farmer if this year was good

everyone keeps on saying that no money is made at all with any cartridges.....

however its enough for just cartridges to have the biggest cartridge warehouse ever, to then expand and have a national distribution network. not only to hold stock of 100,000s of cartridges (actually 1 million cartridges) and set up there own line of shells.

if there is no mark up.

they must make a killing selling gloves.

i actually hear on the grapevine that gloves are where the money is at.

everyone keeps on saying that no money is made at all with any cartridges.....

however its enough for just cartridges to have the biggest cartridge warehouse ever, to then expand and have a national distribution network. not only to hold stock of 100,000s of cartridges (actually 1 million cartridges) and set up there own line of shells.

if there is no mark up.

they must make a killing selling gloves.

i actually hear on the grapevine that gloves are where the money is at.

My best guess is that JC are making money , why would they move to bigger premises if they were struggling? They buy in huge volume compared to most RFD I guess and consumers like choice.

Dealers make 10% as a starting point on cartridges, if you buy enough 15,000+ you might get an extra 2% and if you have the money to pay up front you might get another 2%. BUT most suppliers will have basic clay loads at a nett price anyway, the extra only applies to the higher priced clay loads and game loads. And don't forget the carriage! Usually £50+ vat unless you buy a pallet of around 25,000 which goes to around £6000!

Cartridges are a service item for the dealer, not a money maker! They want you to by the cartridges and pick up the other bits while your there.

As a shop owner but not shooting 10% just does not make any sense, average gun what £1000-1500 so 10%= £100-150 with most gun shops holding at least 20 guns would not pay the rates and how many guns sold a month, yet along staff costs and the same on cartridges £20 on a thousand carts. I understand the bits and bobs that also sell but can you really live on bits and bobs

HULL CARTRIDGE COMPANY LIMITED was formed on the 10th December 1984 (filed on the 5th January 2017) , and are based in North Humberside, Bontoft Avenue. They are currently rated A and are considered to represent a below average risk score. Their credit score was last updated on 17th January 2017. Companies house classifies them as Medium Company. This information was last updated on the 4th September 2017.

In 2016, they made a post-tax profit of £1,119,382 on a turnover of £13,680,611 (up 42% from 2015) .

Funny how there profits have rose by 42 % when there costs where going up ( price of lead , brexit etc etc )

Edited by stevo

HULL CARTRIDGE COMPANY LIMITED was formed on the 10th December 1984 (filed on the 5th January 2017) , and are based in North Humberside, Bontoft Avenue. They are currently rated A and are considered to represent a below average risk score. Their credit score was last updated on 17th January 2017. Companies house classifies them as Medium Company. This information was last updated on the 4th September 2017.

In 2016, they made a post-tax profit of £1,119,382 on a turnover of £13,680,611 (up 42% from 2015) .

Funny how there profits have rose by 42 % when there costs where going up ( price of lead , brexit etc etc )

Says enough that post. :good:

As a shop owner but not shooting 10% just does not make any sense, average gun what £1000-1500 so 10%= £100-150 with most gun shops holding at least 20 guns would not pay the rates and how many guns sold a month, yet along staff costs and the same on cartridges £20 on a thousand carts. I understand the bits and bobs that also sell but can you really live on bits and bobs

Clothing is where the money is, online and in store. Guns have a bit bigger margin and 2nd hand ones vary massively deal on deal.

Bulk selling on cartridges is the way they can do it, small shoots and clubs or broups of mates, we'd rather sell 10,000 and deliver it than sell it by a slab or 2 at a time.

10% or even less is typical profit for gun shops which is why they are struggling and closing or going bust the Sussex and Kent shops of KWG have recently gone bust for example.

The manufacture and importers are the ones making the big profits as per hull cartridge, leaving little profit for the retailers, if the trend continues we will end up with one or two large gun shops in each county.

Time to break out the lee loadall and start selling cartridges!