Hi all from South Essex

Stuart2518

Hi All,

Just joined and finding a lot of interesting reads and tips on here, as I'm relatively new to shooting (on civilian street anyways).

I've just applied for my SGC and understand Essex Police are one of the worst counties for issuing SGC's....... :mad: It looks like I'm in for a 40+ week wait...

I wanted to know if there are any recommend places to shoot in Essex on a regular basis where I can start to get back into the swing of things again? It would need to be a place where a shotgun can be supplied of course. I have Googled a few places that look good but wanted to check with the experienced guys on here.

Thanks in advance :good:

Cheers all for the info.

At the moment I'll be going to Bury St Edmunds as I''ve got a pal there who shoots a lot so easy for me to join and get good practice.

Just got a letter back from Essex Police to say they want to be honest and they are working on around 40 weeks but I have read on the below link to start sending letters etc. after 12 weeks?

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/uncategorized/shotgun-licence-delayed-dont-stand-for-it-15706

Has anyone actually done this and if so did it even help? I'm curious as it could potentially save 2/3's of the waiting time if it actually worked?

Thanks again

• 1 month later...

Quick update...

So, I sent a letter to my local MP explaining how unhappy I was with the wait and service. She sent a letter to Essex Police and had a promising response. Essex Police are now at a 27 week wait time but with around 33% of applications being processed within 90 days and they have not adjusted their standard letter for some stupid reason.

I would recommend anyone else in Essex waiting for their Grant to write to their local MP as this may help them and all of us :good: 

On 11/9/2017 at 15:08, Vaz said:

Forgot to say Stuart, check out he Orion Club (http://www.gunclub.uk) in Brentwood. They're a friendly bunch. Where in Essex are you?

Nice thanks, it's a little nearer home as I've been shooting at (http://cambridgegunclub.co.uk/). It's really nice there lots of different stands. A little further to travel but I don't mind for the quality but I'll give Brentwood a goo in the new year.

I live on Canvey Island (where the Mrs is from) but i'm from Tottenham and my business is there so travel back everyday.

• 1 month later...
On ‎17‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:58, Stuart2518 said:

Nice thanks, it's a little nearer home as I've been shooting at (http://cambridgegunclub.co.uk/). It's really nice there lots of different stands. A little further to travel but I don't mind for the quality but I'll give Brentwood a goo in the new year.

I live on Canvey Island (where the Mrs is from) but i'm from Tottenham and my business is there so travel back everyday.

in that case try the Essex Shooting Ground, Fyfield Ongar. you'll find them with a quick Google search. i go there occasionally, nice relaxed atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 for The Fennes.

Another good shoot is just over the bridge at Dartford but you would have to be accompanied by an instructor. Easy to get to. Literally first exit as you come off the bridge. They have everything there, 14 Sporting stands, 5 Skeet ranges, 2 DTL, 2 ABT, 2 Compac ranges. Very friendly and well worth a visit. Regular competitions.

Dave.

Edited by Uncle Albert

I contacted my Police and Crime commissioner to complain about the time taken to process SGC application, got a response fro the Chief Super of Essex police and things speeded up a bit then, may be worth a try.

Recommend Graham's at Stow Maries to get started.