At what point....

..do you get annoyed with cartridge misfires and complain?

Picked up 500 Eley first selects the other week for a spot of clay bashing. Had 5 misfires in the first 200 I have used, not that happy with them to be honest.

The issue seems to be insufficient or damp powder ?(just get a slight puff and the shot goes about 10 yards, wad jams the barrel, lots of black around the cartridge) - although they are stored exactly the same as all the cartridges I have had previously and never had one go wrong before.

Is that a high rate of failure or am I being overly precious? Never had a misfire before, let alone 5!

Thanks, wasn't sure if it was just me. I don't think I have any of the dodgy cases, they went in the bin. Though I shouldn't have to wait long for an other one!

No sign of water damage on the box or anything so I have no idea what the issue is.

Will ring the seller tomorrow and try and sort.

Had some jammed wads in cases a while ago and contacted eley twice and was told the would send me a voucher to get some new carts and never got anything then took some to a show they were at and again took my details told they would send me a voucher and yet again nothing ever came.

Dont hold your breath.

Just a thought but have you considered looking closer to home, could the fault be with your gun? What make and type when we're the firing pins last checked?

After all eley will make millions of these popular cartridges and so far within the PW family you are the only one with a problem, makes you think it may not be the cartridges.

Just a thought but have you considered looking closer to home, could the fault be with your gun? What make and type when we're the firing pins last checked?

After all eley will make millions of these popular cartridges and so far within the PW family you are the only one with a problem, makes you think it may not be the cartridges.

These carts are firing, so it can't be a gun issue.

Gun is a Laurona - not had it long, only since March but it is second hand not sure how old but I think early 2000's. All pretty tight and I don't think its had many through it. Not sure when the pins were last checked properly though. Visually when viewed from the action they seem fine, no sharp points or anything like that. Not taken it apart to have a look properly though.

I suspected a firing pin issue when it first* happened (much like yourself), but the primer had a decent dent in and wasn't pierced or damaged. The misfires have also happened in both barrels randomly, not favouring one or the other. When it happens there is no unburnt powder left, but the case and wad comes out very very black, like an improper burn. There is defiantly some burn/ignition as the wad has been propelled half way up the barrel before getting stuck and to shot does leave the barrel, just not very fast or far.

The firing pin definitely engages well as you can hear the click above the cough. I would have also thought that if the firing pin was a problem the failures would be much more frequent?

I also had a hundred of Kent Gamebores left that I used after the second misfire and they went through fine.

I'm not ruling out a gun issue, but I am definitely leaning towards a cartridge one (**** primers maybe?). Unless someone thinks otherwise? happy to be corrected as its not like I know a lot!. To be honest all of them could have come from a single box as I just dump a few boxes in a cartridge bag before I head off.

*Not quite - first thought was IBG error. (Idiot behind gun)

I see many thousands of cartridges fired every year from all the manufacturers and without doubt Eley have the highest rate of faults by a country mile. This was backed up by one of our suppliers.

Misfires,mishapes,wads in sideways etc. I've had several myself and no longer use Eley.

Their customer service will no doubt ignore you. But your issue is down to your retailer to sort so take it up with them. If you've lost confidence in the batch you have they should swap the remaining ones.

WR.

I slightly hesitate to mention this here but it is probably relevant...

I've just had two weeks on an annual holiday where I do a load of rabbit shooting. This year, my Eley HP Subs are a different box design and while the older ones ie pre 2017 have been absolutely reliable and accurate, these are inconsistent. With one or two flyers per 5 shot group at 50 yrs. The flyers being up to 1.5 in away from the rest of the group. (And this over a few boxes that I've been using so it's not just one or two groups). Nothing else has changed, same rifle, scope etc.

Over the last 20 years of shooting, I've never encountered this before. Some Winchester subs that I've tried seem much better with no flyers with the 50 or so that I've tried.

Is anything going on at Eley?

pse ignore this box - attempt at editing a typo...

Edited by Glenshooter

I slightly hesitate to mention this here but it is probably relevant...

I've just had two weeks on an annual holiday where I do a load of rabbit shooting. This year, my Eley HP Subs are a different box design and while the older ones ie pre 2017 have been absolutely reliable and accurate, these are inconsistent. With one or two flyers per 5 shot group at 50 yrs. The flyers being up to 1.5 in away from the rest of the group. (And this over a few boxes that I've been using so it's not just one or two groups). Nothing else has changed, same rifle, scope etc.

Over the last 20 years of shooting, I've never encountered this before. Some Winchester subs that I've tried seem much better with no flyers with the 50 or so that I've tried.

Is anything going on at Eley?

They're now two separate companies. The shotgun cartridge side of things is part of the Maxam group. Eley's are now loaded with their components. It seems strange that other Maxam owned companies produce better ammunition with the same components.

As has been said,Eley were market leaders but sadly no more. The metallic ammunition was also highly thought of. I will be a shame if it has gone the same way as the cartridges.

WR.

Well, what do you know. Email from Eley- they will be picking up the carts from SGC once I have dropped them off to investigate further.

I fully expect to hear nothing, but at least they acknowledged the issue.

They should be **** scared as there is a significant risk of injury with an issue like this and the commercial risk to them is substantial.

Glad you've got things going in any case. :good: