FAC Certificate

Joshcup11

Hi everyone.

I am an avid shooter, and have decided that I require abit more than my 12ft lb air rifles now for the vermin on my permission.

I am 18 years old, and have held a shotgun certificate for over 2 years now.

Would anyone give me there honest opinion, on wether or not they think ill be granted an FAC, with the guns being

.17HMR for rabbits and fox.(Fox only dependant on the right ammunition and being close range)

FAC Air for vermin control in/ around farm buildings where the .17 is not safe to be used.

Or any opinions on wether or not ill be granted an FAC anyway? I have 1600 acres of land where I shoot, all of which has already been authorised by the police as my uncle who owns the land has his firearms.

I would apply for .243 For the foxes, or possibily even a .223 for foxes instead of limiting myself to close range .17HMR use, however I know there is nearly no chance of me getting a centrefire on first application, I think if im honest ill struggle with a rimfire which is why Im here asking for an opinion

Grateful for all opinions!

Josh.

Yeah I often use his firearms when me and him go out lamping etc. I think my main reason for not thinking id get one would be purely my age. As whenever im out shooting, game shoot, vermin shooting, if someone is about that doesn't agree with shooting, 9/10 times they'll have a pop due to my age, commenting on how I shouldn't be old enough etc etc. And when theyre against shooting its worse! :lol:

Youre right, I have the land, some experience, and got granted a shotgun certificate with no problems.

I think the fact that Im 18, might play a part in it and sway them toward saying no??

Josh

You have more experience than most, which counts for 90 % of it.

Put in for a centre fire too, they can only say no.

If you were not 'mature' enough, you wouldnt have an SGC would you ?

Get your app in, and dont worry about people who are against shooting ,they are irrelevant !

Good luck, not that you need it :yes:

My lad got 9 slots, inc moderators, when he was 19 - albeit, most were for range use. His field use was conditioned to him having a mentor - which wasn't a problem and while you could argue if this was legal/necessary, it wasn't an issue for him.

But, he was able to demonstrate 'good reason' for his firearms which it appears you have as well. Although I think .223 for fox is more likely to be successful than .243.

I can only really comment on what happened to me when I put in for my FAC a few years back.

I come under Avon and Somerset and applied for a 243 as well as an HMR and 22LR . They were iffy to say the least on the 243 as the "Guidence" says it is the minimum deer calibre and were demanding a mentor for 6 months for it. The other alternatives for the grant of the 243 was either doing a half day range safety course or doing a DSC 1. They were perfectly happy with any of the 22CFs ie 222, 223 or 22-250.(Other 22 cartridges are available) I decided to do the DSC 1 as I objected to doing the range safety course as I used to teach the RMs how to shoot and represented the RN in joint arm forces shooting comps and shot with Police forces around the world. I also feel that it is a good "Reason to hold" that cant be argued.

Go for your 243, they can only say no and or offer an alternative route to it.

I would say the 223 is a superb round and is my go to gun of choice these days. Also consider the cost of shooting these rifles, the 223 can be feed a lot cheaper than the 243, may be a consideration.

If you have deer on your shooting permission or they traverse across your land that is also a good reason to have your 243 if you have the land owners permission to shoot them, for the reason previously stated.

Good hunting.

Edited by Flyboy1950

Do not let age dissuade you from applying.

As others have said, you seem to fulfil all the requirements.

Although it wasn't for vermin I had my FAC granted at age 15, on it I had 7.62 rifle, .223 rifle. .22lr rifle. .22lr pistol and and 9mm pistol......

Never knocked back /denied any request of Variation.

Held my SGC for a year prior.

Good luck and go for it, if at all worried then speak to your FEO first as it's his report/guidance that will be used by his 'decision maker'

If your responsible enough which by the sounds of it you are then just go for it, look at it this way, you won't be any worse off if they say no. You have good reason if your going for a .243 you might have to get your uncle to mentor you, a decent.223 or even better a .22.250 would be ideal for Fox, I have a .17 hmr but I am not convinced by it and will probably do a variation for a .204 .17 Hornet

Don't worry about what other people say most of the time it's jealousy, just get on with it and good luck let us know the outcome.

Kev

17 hmr as a calibre is outside the guidelines for fox. Mine was conditioned vermin and later AOLQ. This is the BASC guidance/ Better maybe to go for .243 for deer and fox on the basis you don't want too many rifles to start, and put the hmr down for rabbits and other vermin.

You may find this home office guide helpful.

17 hmr as a calibre is outside the guidelines for fox. Mine was conditioned vermin and later AOLQ. This is the BASC guidance/ Better maybe to go for .243 for deer and fox on the basis you don't want too many rifles to start, and put the hmr down for rabbits and other vermin.

You may find this home office guide helpful.

No it isn't, the latest Home Office guide to which you included a link makes it clear HMR is suitable for Fox!

There are several references to it but for simplicity look at the table on page 124!

Apply for each calibre you have good cause for.

One thing I would say is do not dismiss the .22lr - I find it really useful on the farm for rabbit culling using subsonics, pick a windy, dry, dark, warm night when you can usually get within 30 yards simply using a red torch switching on every few yards and using the wind to your advantage. Rim fire rifles do not run out of air and 150 rounds are easy to carry (easier than all the rabbits!)

Apply for each calibre you have good cause for.

One thing I would say is do not dismiss the .22lr - I find it really useful on the farm for rabbit culling using subsonics, pick a windy, dry, dark, warm night when you can usually get within 30 yards simply using a red torch switching on every few yards and using the wind to your advantage. Rim fire rifles do not run out of air and 150 rounds are easy to carry (easier than all the rabbits!)

+1 22lr any day over FAC air. Not to mention you can pick up a decent 22lr for far less than a FAC PCP airgun.

+1 22lr any day over FAC air. Not to mention you can pick up a decent 22lr for far less than a FAC PCP airgun.

Always difficult this as everyones shooting requirements and situation are different. I run a lot of Air/Rimfire/Centrefire/Shotguns/Pistols because I need to. I have 12ftlb and FAC Air and a whole load or rimfires.

My circumstances are perhaps a little different to most, but I have no plans to get rid of my FAC Air, certainly they are expensive to buy compared to many rimfires, but I still have a need, just the same my FAC Air gets the least use of all my rifles.

A .22LR should be a major consideration for everyone just the same, as they are a VERY useful/versatile calibre for "many" people, but not everyone will need one, and for some a FAC Air may be ideal and/or all they need!

ATB! :good:

No it isn't, the latest Home Office guide to which you included a link makes it clear HMR is suitable for Fox!

There are several references to it but for simplicity look at the table on page 124!

It's certainly legal, but here (Avon and Somerset) whilst they agree it's ok to use they would not agree to HMR as a dedicated fox rifle. I often use one and it works a treat, but for fox specific they insisted on c/f.

It's certainly legal, but here (Avon and Somerset) whilst they agree it's ok to use they would not agree to HMR as a dedicated fox rifle. I often use one and it works a treat, but for fox specific they insisted on c/f.

Your region need to explain themselves then when their Head Office, (the Home Office) says its fine.

The HMR had no mention in the previous 2002 guide as basically it didn't exist in the UK, this was taken by many regions (incorrectly) as meaning not suitable.

The latest guide has put this right and even suggests .22RF is suitable for fox in the right circumstances.

Your region are Stupid, if you were a Pest Controller and were regularly called to deal with foxes in peoples gardens and requested a dedicated rimfire for this job would they INSIST you use a centrefire!!!???? Blanket policies are STUPID and sometimes dangerous!

You also said your HMR was now conditioned for AOLQ. That's Fox, so they can't argue with that!!

So, Avon & Somerset will not allow you a HMR as a Dedicated (whatever that may mean) Fox rifle, but are more than happy to let you shoot fox with it!

The world has gone mad! :lol::lol:

Absolutely right. They are also happy to issue open ticket for hmr but not 243. I can't reason with them. Latest land inspection (now on my 9th they just met at the clay range looked at the map and said looks like u know what you are doing get on with it. Still won't open the ticket.

I hope you apply. IF you have been shooting for some time that should say something to your FEO!

I would always recommend anyone starting with firearms to Join a club where you will make friends and contacts, get some tuition and guidance and then "add" some experience in a formal way to your shooting. There are a number of good clubs in Lincolnshire,let me know ifyou want some help finding details.