Getting the build itch again, making my own gun safe???

rovercoupe

Right I have done alot of welding this year, close to 40kg of rods in the last 2 months alone and i have some large lumps of box steel at work 8mm thick and 1.5m long so useless for structural stuff but I think it cold be sliced longways and made into a nice sized gun safe. Totally over the top and stupid but its there and will not cost much to make so should I do it? Anybody built anything like this on here?

I welded one up about twenty years ago. I hadn't really thought about the weight - just ordered sheets of steel - cut to size. When I had to pick up the steel and the angle iron, I was getting a bit worried about the weight. It was so heavy, it took two of us to carry it upstairs, minus the door, which weighed about one hundredweight. I had to strengthen the floor to support it.

The hinges and locking mechanism were solid, but crude, with four locks. In the end, I got rid and replaced it with a Brattonsound - multi-locking type - one key only.

If I needed a bigger safe, I would be tempted to buy a similar model and weld extra capacity onto it. That way, you would have a secure, compliant door and locks.

Right I have done alot of welding this year, close to 40kg of rods in the last 2 months alone and i have some large lumps of box steel at work 8mm thick and 1.5m long so useless for structural stuff but I think it cold be sliced longways and made into a nice sized gun safe. Totally over the top and stupid but its there and will not cost much to make so should I do it? Anybody built anything like this on here?

Are you seriously asking if we want you to make a gun safe, document, photograph and post every step and post here on the forum?

Oh go on then :)

The steel is at work and lack of plasma cutter means first job is to knock up a track and jig for the grinder to slice the box down, i will be able to show most of the build but not the security features for obvious reasons but i will be going for a american style dial combination lock and will be built to vault standards.

Its going to be heavy, guessing just over 200kg but its going onto a concrete floor so should be ok.

This is going to be a slow burner but will keep you all informed of progress as it happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Its not gone quite to plan, i killed my 110v grinder then last week my 240v grinder blew up so now have a screwfix special wia year warranty so need to get on and get it cut. 

Plod can say what they like then i will offer them my finest sledgehammer and tell them to do there worst on it and see if they will accept it after they give up hitting it and do no damage whatsoever!

• 3 months later...

Right so had a bit of time now the melt is on and have managed to cut all the box into bits and have managed to get some proper banana steel so its proving difficult to get together but with a stack of weight its slowly coming together. 

Not welding for a good few months also proved interesting and took a bit to get back into arc as only used mig recently.

Warping is proving to also be a major problem so the next step is to weld up a frame to jig it into shape. 

IMG_5836.jpg

IMG_5834.jpg

IMG_5839.jpg

IMG_5841.jpg

nice welding.............often i have been caught out doing full runs and ended up struggling with deformed sheet.........ended up doing an open stitch....all the stuff together ..then doing the full run where needed.............

love to see the slag pop off like what you have done....:good: