Ripped off by motorcycle dealer?

spandit

My father in law suddenly died last month at the age of 62 and my mother in law is selling off some of his stuff which is hard enough as it is. He was a keen biker and a dealer came round to look at his bike. She wanted £900 for it but he wouldn't go above £800 and she's not really strong enough to argue.

We've just seen he's listed it for sale at £1,750 - is this unreasonable or has he taken a grieving widow for a ride? I know they have to make a living and sell stuff they buy at a profit but 119% markup seems a bit extreme.

Arthur Daly typ , knew he could make a few Bob out of the bike but had to squeeze a bit more .

The geezer probably looks at everyone thinking , what can I make out of you .

I hate spivs . greedy , selfish , bottom feeding scum .

Edited by cuffy

Just part exchanged a BMW Z4 coupe for £8000, the dealer now has it up for £13,000. It's swings and roundabouts, they've got to make their profit. They'll have to guarantee it, service and a bit of tarting up but it stings when you see it being marked up. Its saved time and hassle trying to flog it through a private sale though, I can't count how many times I've had a tyre kicker that's wasted a weekend morning!

If the dealer has serviced it ? Brakes , tyres etc?

If he's paid a grand for example and he's selling it at no profit it's still £1200 with vat.

If you see a bike for £1700 your going to offer £1500 . I know I would.

I worked out my mileage the other day in my brand new Vw t6 it's 66p a mile with servicing, brakes, tyres. Without loss of value. If he's been out to look and collect and it's 100 miles away it's cost £66 each way for me.

I work on £220-250 a day and I'm lucky to take £80 home after bills.

I think he's been fair honestly ;)

Don't stress as it's done now :)

Edited by team tractor

I don't think its anything to do with ripping off. Seems he declined her idea of a price and offered a price that was accepted - where is the rip?

There's a fair chance someone would want to part exchange something against it that he could make a loss on, then cover overheads, pay VAT and make a worthwhile profit.

Just part exchanged a BMW Z4 coupe for £8000, the dealer now has it up for £13,000. It's swings and roundabouts, they've got to make their profit. They'll have to guarantee it, service and a bit of tarting up but it stings when you see it being marked up. Its saved time and hassle trying to flog it through a private sale though, I can't count how many times I've had a tyre kicker that's wasted a weekend morning!

Sounds like he gave you, a jolly rodgering. Well the dealer will be very happy too, I'm sure !!.

Spandit she wanted 900 he offered 800 and your mother in law took it it's not worth the grief of getting all worked up about if he would have given her 900 and put it on for 1850 you would still feel ripped off the bikes gone and I am sure she has more to worry about I do get what you are saying tho sorry for your family loss

Happens all the time. An advantage, you also don't have any comeback from the buyer.

A lady who lives locally sold her dead fathers caravan for £25k back to the park. They then advertised it for £75k.

That is worth being annoyed about......

Edited by markm

My father in law suddenly died last month at the age of 62 and my mother in law is selling off some of his stuff which is hard enough as it is. He was a keen biker and a dealer came round to look at his bike. She wanted £900 for it but he wouldn't go above £800 and she's not really strong enough to argue.

We've just seen he's listed it for sale at £1,750 - is this unreasonable or has he taken a grieving widow for a ride? I know they have to make a living and sell stuff they buy at a profit but 119% markup seems a bit extreme.

What was the make and model of the bike?

This is retail.

You have to make a profit, and if its 100 or 200 % thats how it works.

Premises costing 10 s of 1000s a year ,wages, holiday pay and redundancy money ,insurance, repairs ,warranty, what ifs ?

Its no good making a couple of hundred here and there is it?

He could sell the bike and it blows up a week later, with a 0 profit outcome, or maybe no one buys it at that and he just gets his money back.

People look at me gone out when I charge £30 an hour 'I bet youre raking it in mate'

I point to the roof of my premises and ask them who pays for this, and my tools and insurances.

She wanted £900 for it but he wouldn't go above £800...

Immoral YES

Illegal NO!

Sorry,

She wanted £900, a dealer offered £800?

What is "Immoral" about that TC?

As stated elsewhere new tyres? MOT? Warranty? VAT on the uplift? Service? Cost of time?

We don't know the full story but there is nothing "immoral" about covering your costs, nor making a profit?

Edited by Eyefor

I wouldn't think about it, it will only annoy you however traders are there to make profit and the price will be higher than its ever worth ready for 'haggle room'. He will be shafting whoever he tries to sell it to more than your family imo.

A 'friend' bought my old car off me I let him have it at mates rates however there were numerous issues with the car all that he was aware of and wanted to fix himself:

Mainly:

- I advised him clutch slipped if putting foot down in 4th gear, it was new signs of clutch slip but on 400bhp 450lb ft torque it will soon show major signs of slipping an uprated clutch was required as organic wasn't sufficient.

- AYC pump had failed needed new or reconditioned (circa £750 job).

- Needed a full service.

All in all around £2k+ worth of work needed however he begged me to sell it to him as he wanted to carry the work out on the car himself and enjoy it, as i barely used it i thought why not.

Sold it to him and no more than a week later had a poor lad message me on facebook asking about the car, turns out he'd sold it for 2.5k more than i sold it him for. Sold it as mint and completely mislead the lad on problems (AYC light removed etc). He sold the car for full value basically and it needed money spending on it which he wasn't upfront about.

Some leaches out there unfortunately.

I got more than i paid for it with appreciation and sold it before i ran it into the ground so i was at no loss but felt for the poor lad, had a word with the old 'friend' and he gave him most of the difference back. Seemed a genuine lad moreso than a cowboy ex friend so felt wrong to leave him without a paddle.

My son wanted to upgrade from his first car, a ford focus. Having listened to the We Buy Any Car adverts on the radio countless times he thought he would see what they would give him. They offered him £450 which he immediately turned down flat, he was really annoyed.

They work on the principle that they might just have you across a barrel, they must encounter a lot of people who don't have any choice but to take what they offer. That's business, they are not a charity

Edited by Vince Green

I don't see any problem with it tbh, he's advertising it at that price but a potential buy is going to knock him right down.

He's got to pay his operating costs, public liability, vat, tax, etc etc etc

He may hold onto it for several months before its sold.

You wanted it gone right away with no hassle, so you let it go at a reduced price. You could have gotten more but maybe you'd have to wait 6 months for the right buyer etc.