Ripped off by motorcycle dealer?

spandit

My son wanted to upgrade from his first car, a ford focus. Having listened to the We Buy Any Car adverts on the radio countless times he thought he would see what they would give him. They offered him £450 which he immediately turned down flat, he was really annoyed.

They work on the principle that they might just have you across a barrel, they must encounter a lot of people who don't have any choice but to take what they offer. That's business, they are not a charity

They work on the principle that within an hour of deciding you want to sell your car they'll take it and hand you over the cash.

When I wanted to advertise my car for sale I had to put it on several sites, and even pay to advertise on autotrader.

I had to stay home several times whilst people came to see it, faffed about and made me silly offers thousands below what I was asking.

In the end I sold to a dealer who I knew would fix up the minor issues with it and sell it for about £1500 more than he bought it for. I sold it for £500 less than I originally wanted, but I was happy not to hve to hang onto it for months and do the work it needed.

At the end of the day the guy won't even be making that much off it most likely, a few hundred if he's lucky.

100 % markup is normal in high street shops , you have to take into account that business rates for a small high street shop is in excess of £30,000 per year , and that's a shop with a 20 ft frontage in Kettering!

I don't think he ripped her off , under the new trading standards law he has to cover the car for 30 days as well

The thing with a private sale of a vehicle is the likelihood of comeback!

If you're prepared to take it back after 28 days for a full refund because your buyer has decided it's not fit for purpose ( trust me it happens a lot ) then by all means sell it private

Your dealer is equipped to deal with this on an almost daily basis

Let him have the Agrow and heart ache imho

Guest cookoff013

I read a thread years ago, I forgot what forum. A guy sells his car to a dealer as part exchange for another vehicle. The vehicle he purchased had faults that were being fixed later.he looked at his original car and it gained a few pounds on the price and amazingly lost quite a few miles.

The Lord moves in mysterious ways.

The thing with a private sale of a vehicle is the likelihood of comeback!

If you're prepared to take it back after 28 days for a full refund because your buyer has decided it's not fit for purpose ( trust me it happens a lot ) then by all means sell it private

Your dealer is equipped to deal with this on an almost daily basis

Let him have the Agrow and heart ache imho

SOLD as seen from a private seller means exactly that, it's a different law when a trade dealer is selling a car.

As plenty have said the dealer has running costs. I'm sure he's not buying and selling for the love of it!

If you were asking 900 and got 800 I really don't think there's anything to worry about.

I know gun dealers who, when they see certain customers come into their shop they run out and pull price tags off guns.

That's because they bought guns from them telling them "it's only worth.... £" and then advertise at 3 or 4 times that figure. If I buy a gun I'm always honest with the seller about how much I will ask for it. I'm there to make a profit.

I think your motorbike dealer has been fair (especially since agreeing to pay more if it sells for over 1500)

He paid 800. Took his time to view and do he deal. Collected it. Do doubt serviced and cleaned it. Advertised it. Will spend time dealing with potential buyers. Will accept less than the asking price. Will have to give a warranty with it. And then, after he covers all of the costs of employees, workshop, showroom and other running costs (insurances, utilities, trade memberships and much more) he will pay tax on what's left.

This is his wage and the profit that he makes for parting with the cash in the first place and taking the risk.

So let's say he gets his full asking price of £1800?

He's spent £200 on servicing etc, it's been in the showroom a month so needs to contribute to those costs, let's say £100, he has paid to advertise, just a few £ more. If it's all very straightforward he will make say £700 before incidentals and tax. So let's say 500 all told.

Would you outlay £1000 plus, spend what could easily equate to 2 days of your time, potentially wait months for any return and still have the potential that the warrantee would be used and it all be lost, to make £500?

Perhaps that puts things into perspective?

Unless i missed it some where no idea what motorcycle is in question here.

It is impossible even for those knowledgeable to draw any accurate conclusion for you without this information.

What the dealer gave and what he is selling it for tell only part of the story, as pointed out what did he have to do to it knowing year and model would put things far more in perspective but i will say my instinct based on what you have said so far i think you did ok.

What motorcycle. ?

100 % markup is normal in high street shops , you have to take into account that business rates for a small high street shop is in excess of £30,000 per year , and that's a shop with a 20 ft frontage in Kettering!

I don't think he ripped her off , under the new trading standards law he has to cover the car for 30 days as well

On what products? Are we talking markup or margin.