A little bit keen

Mightymariner

There is a field of spring barley not five minutes from my house that was harvested last night.

Today I drove past there at Noon and spied a hide and decoys set up in one corner.

The field had been cut 12 hours.

I drove past again at 4pm and the decoyer had gone.

Whilst I have often seen pigeons in good numbers on fields only just cut, it probably isn't the norm.

I have also seen novice decoyers set up on stubble fields with 0 pigeons on. I think some shooters think that because it has been cut, there must be pigeons on it.

Pinky and Perky or Bill and Ben?

you've lost me........... :hmm:

dont understand that.....think ive spent too much time on the marrige guidence thread....i need to start and aclimatise myself back to normality

Edited by ditchman

you've lost me........... :hmm:

dont understand that.....think ive spent too much time on the marrige guidence thread....i need to start and aclimatise myself back to normality

MM has some great land to shoot over with lots of potential for good pigeon shooting. Unfortunately he has two rival shooters who I variously call either Pinky and Perky or Bill and Ben. They invariably dive into a field before pigeons have even found it or they get there before numbers build up.

Edited by JDog

There could well have been pigeons on any laid bits just before it was cut and whoever it was could have shot pigeons even while the combine was still cutting , which I have done once or twice in the past .

I have also watched d v ds where they were shooting on a rape field while the combine was coming past every so often .

We had a Spring barley field cut a fortnight ago and you could have easily shot pigeons as soon as the combine left the field , the two fields were separated by a hedge and there were large laid patches on both fields , pigeons in small numbers had been going on there for a few weeks and never really built up to warrant setting up in the middle of the field during that spell of bad weather.

One field of wheat we go on was finished on Friday , they started bailing it up Saturday until the heavy rain started during the afternoon , the bailer was back on there Sunday to finish it off , Monday, Lakeside1000 went on during the late morning and I went just after dinner to have a little go while the bales were still there , when I left him a little after five we had shot around 80 and by the time he left it could well be a few more than that .

So it is possible to shoot pigeons in the short time after the field has been cut , and how many times do members ask ( when is the best time to shoot pigeons on a particular field ) with the same people answering , when there is enough to shoot .