land rover defender tidy up

viking

well after much messing about and checking everything i decided to go ahead and have a new out put shaft fitted at a cost of £400, a bit expensive but it did the job, no more back lash :yahoo::yahoo: i also sprayed the chequre plate gloss black and put it back on, im now done messing about with it :good::good:

post-9513-0-83959200-1507475811_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-53450100-1507475832_thumb.jpg

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

very badly, he said i was weeks away from losing all drive they were that bad, i forgot to take a photo of them,

and the reason for putting the chquer plate back on was i sent the new ones back as iv decided to sell it and the less i put into it the more chance i have of getting my money back,

as much as i love the look of it and like driving it iv decided its not for me.

iv decided to go for either a freelander 2 dynamic in black,grey or maybe white.

or a ford ranger wildtrack 3.2 in white, black or pride orange

post-9513-0-52438600-1507485135_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-87519500-1507485632_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-06196800-1507485642_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-13597600-1507485674_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-07794700-1507485687_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-00183400-1507485696_thumb.jpg

If a basc member once you decide on the one you want you might well find there fleet offer is better than buying a nearly new one.

It was for us on a new Kuga 21% off before vat off list and all extras

Was cheaper to buy new than up to a year old or so

Why does it not suit ??

And how much you be selling it for, out of interest ?

hard to explain really as im not sure, i guess it rides a bit hard for my liking and its just a land rover doing what land rovers do, the last 90 i had was 5 yesrs ago and that was a 1995 300tdi CSW, i thought they may of improved since then but they havent, and if my memory serves me correctly the 300tdi was better to drive all round, and ill be looking for £18,500 as thats what iv got in it now :good:

If a basc member once you decide on the one you want you might well find there fleet offer is better than buying a nearly new one.

It was for us on a new Kuga 21% off before vat off list and all extras

Was cheaper to buy new than up to a year old or so

i will look into that mate cheers :good:

well after much messing about and checking everything i decided to go ahead and have a new out put shaft fitted at a cost of £400, a bit expensive but it did the job, no more back lash :yahoo::yahoo: i also sprayed the chequre plate gloss black and put it back on, im now done messing about with it :good::good:

that's good to know! did you use the Ashcroft kit ? what sort of mileage has it done? thinking of getting mine done. but I have kind of got used to it by changing my driving style.

no it wasnt the ashcroft one, it was this one,http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover-Defender-2-4-TD4-Transfer-box-input-shaft-spline-repair-kit-/112147569062?ssPageName=ADME:X:RRNTB:GB:3160

mines doen 78,000 miles, i to had got used to driving it so it didnt do it, but with the chance of losing drive its worth doing sooner rather than later :good::good:

Can I ask, was this to get rid of the clunk when engaging first or between gears? My 2.2 does this and I have found the only way round it is to ride the clutch a bit and be as smooth as I can in gear changes.

Can I ask, was this to get rid of the clunk when engaging first or between gears? My 2.2 does this and I have found the only way round it is to ride the clutch a bit and be as smooth as I can in gear changes.

mine does it and its only got 32k on it, my nephew has had his from new and it has always done it, 17k on it now, he took it back to the dealer twice, they said it was normal ! its obviously a design fault.

well iv read somewhere that they all do it, its a land rover thing, and that from the factory they wasnt greased so its just metal on metal, hence ashcroft claiming to of solved the problem with there cup thing to hold the grease in and i think it has a grease nipple

well iv read somewhere that they all do it, its a land rover thing, and that from the factory they wasnt greased so its just metal on metal, hence ashcroft claiming to of solved the problem with there cup thing to hold the grease in and i think it has a grease nipple

it happened to one of my new landrovers a while back...200 tdi 16.000 kilometres...splines 3/4 worn away...........it was explained to me that the out put shafts (some of which) came from india...and had not been induction hardened properly...........

it is easier for landrover to liecence a spurious parts maker than close him down ...as it costs loads of money to do so....and they only start up making them again somewhere down the road.....so landrover cut a deal with them..........

Edited by ditchman

• 1 month later...

sold the land rover today, its got to spend some time up in scotland, as much as i liked it i just want a bit more for my money, got my eye on a very good bargain through a mate who has had this motor offered to him cheap by one of his mates, may get it in the next few days if all goes to plan, im very excited, and ill certainly feel a little more comfortable in it:good::good: