land rover defender tidy up

viking

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

not to sure about this twisted re-map, seems a bit lively to me, never interfered with any of my land rovers or discos so its a bit alien to me, the lad said it had taken it from 120bhp to 160bhp,

its on if your going on at 40mph plus its nice and responsive and fair goes, but tootling round the village turning into tight roads and tight corners its a bit odd, im finding myself riding the clutch otherwise its a bit jerky, and with it being the 2.4 TDCI it doesnt seem to have that land rover sound as my 300 tdi and td5 had, think the lad said he had taken the cat off it to :hmm::hmm:

and iv noticed if you change gear reasonably fast there is a bit of a thud noise, had something similar on a freelander,think it was a bracket on the propshaft, but night not of been, it was some bracket though with some rubber bushes in it :good::good:

are you desperate to keep the spare wheel on the back door ?

they will have a job on getting that **** off, i tried earlier so i could get to the rear tub bolts, tried with the socket set, then wheel brace, then with a long bar on, then the pneumatic air gun, wouldnt shift a mm, and as for getting them pathetic plastic nut caps off, what a ****** joke they are,

swapped rear badge over today, and put the new carpeted and soundproofed sides in, there was already some good soundproofing boards in but thought id have to take them out but i didnt so now its well soundproofed :good::good:

post-9513-0-43807100-1503674219_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-75521900-1503674229_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-51174500-1503674274_thumb.jpg

post-9513-0-92904600-1503674282_thumb.jpg

Edited by viking

someone please stop me, today i have been looking at seats :lol::lol::lol:

I have to say that I could understand your detail work getting everything perfect on your brown jobby as that was a show car/truck but this new Defender what is it going to be a work/fun truck or a pimped ride to impress people.

I do like modern Defenders but they need a bit of mud on them not bling sorry if I am raining on your parade I think ditchman has it about rite.

I have to say that I could understand your detail work getting everything perfect on your brown jobby as that was a show car/truck but this new Defender what is it going to be a work/fun truck or a pimped ride to impress people.

I do like modern Defenders but they need a bit of mud on them not bling sorry if I am raining on your parade I think ditchman has it about rite.

its not for work, or for off roading in, its my car that i also need to get me where i need to be when i go shooting, and at the price of them i couldnt just buy one and not care about it like some richer people do, all im doing really is looking after it and making it look better, as in changing all the rusty bolts, and the light covers that now have a green tinge :lol: and come time to sell it it will hopefully hold its value if looked after :good::good:

I think these little touches make it stand out from the rest, improve the aesthetics and if sold will enhance resale. It's a classic so should be treated as such.

i think your right mate, good thing the previous owner did a fair few things that i think has made it better and stand out a tad, roof, wheels, and a couple of other bits and bats :good:

Looking great

So glad the sales and purchases have worked out- lovely machine you now have.

Now, how much for my left kidney :-)

:good::good::good::good:

and i also set about getting some of the black gunk off my tyres as evertyime i went near them i ended up covered in black ****, it was an inch thick, why would you do that, brake cleaner took it off a treat

You always new that those old underpants would come in handy for something :lol: :lol:

I was not knocking you for changing the rusty nuts and bolts or touching up the paint it was when you was looking at the new seats etc.

Just thought but are you going to keep the van look with the sides blocked in or are you going to put some windows in the side its up to you if it was me I would have windows put in to make it nicer for anyone who you may give a lift to.

Now you gone all bling on us, surprised you havnt picked that lettering out in white. :lol::lol:

im thinking of painting the lettering on the tyres :good::good:

it will cost a pound to talk to him.................he's goin' all"la-de-dah gunner graham" on us..............we are just scum now...... :lol::lol:

you will never be scum, and its £2 for you :lol:

You always new that those old underpants would come in handy for something :lol: :lol:

I was not knocking you for changing the rusty nuts and bolts or touching up the paint it was when you was looking at the new seats etc.

Just thought but are you going to keep the van look with the sides blocked in or are you going to put some windows in the side its up to you if it was me I would have windows put in to make it nicer for anyone who you may give a lift to.

i know you wasnt knocking mate :good: the seats were just a thought, i wouldnt waste all that money on seats :no: and i did think about putting some windows in the side, but think i will wait a while for that, might change it up in a year, side windows and remove the black wrap on the roof, it will be like having another new defender :good::good:

I think this has turned into a willy waving refit and will refrain from further views, shame really as the previous post was entertaining to say the least.

You could/may have purchased the exact animal that you are trying to achieve in the first place without the hassle.

But each to their own.

no hassle mate, just tidying it up, and know one is making you look :good::good:

Viking

I think the jerkiness you're talking about at low speed is a tdci thing, the 8 defenders where I used to work all jerked when pulling out of junctions etc. Unless you ride the clutch in 1st or set off in 2nd with plenty of revs.

Ive always believed it's to do with the 1st gear ratio being lower than normal. It was explained to me as being a 6 speed box with an extra gear at the bottom rather than one at the top.

The engine noise is totally different to tdi/td5 because it's a common rail fuel system and also it's one less cylinder than a td5.

I'd just drive it a bit more till you get used to it and I'm sure you'll fall for it!

Bob