land rover defender tidy up

viking

New love its a wonderful thing, i remember my old 110 not a blemish no scrapes new Matt Lee wheels in vogue back then was going to last me a life time. Every scratch hedge scuff i polished out dents i got repaired.

That relationship ended 12 years latter she was battered cover in roll on green drab war paint to try cover up the wrinkles.

Enjoy it wile it lasts she looks a pretty girl .

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Viking

I think the jerkiness you're talking about at low speed is a tdci thing, the 8 defenders where I used to work all jerked when pulling out of junctions etc. Unless you ride the clutch in 1st or set off in 2nd with plenty of revs.

Ive always believed it's to do with the 1st gear ratio being lower than normal. It was explained to me as being a 6 speed box with an extra gear at the bottom rather than one at the top.

The engine noise is totally different to tdi/td5 because it's a common rail fuel system and also it's one less cylinder than a td5.

I'd just drive it a bit more till you get used to it and I'm sure you'll fall for it!

Bob

could "the juddery thing " be .............the engine has been re-mapped and is now injecting fuel slighty earlier than spec...as to be able to perform better at higher speeds....i have both my engines injecting slightly earlier..............

Viking

I think the jerkiness you're talking about at low speed is a tdci thing, the 8 defenders where I used to work all jerked when pulling out of junctions etc. Unless you ride the clutch in 1st or set off in 2nd with plenty of revs.

Ive always believed it's to do with the 1st gear ratio being lower than normal. It was explained to me as being a 6 speed box with an extra gear at the bottom rather than one at the top.

The engine noise is totally different to tdi/td5 because it's a common rail fuel system and also it's one less cylinder than a td5.

I'd just drive it a bit more till you get used to it and I'm sure you'll fall for it!

Bob

cheers Bob, think im getting more used to it now, like you say its just a case of riding the clutch a bit, not ideal but needs must, other than that 1st and 2nd speed wise seem quite normal, rest are a fair bit quicker, and im enjoying that, not that i drive fast but its more responsive :good::good:

First thing for you to check out would be engine and gearbox mounts. While you are under there check uj's

With the remap they tend to be driven with a on off switch rather than an accelerator!! It can put a lot of stress on the basic things.

Mine is running around 175, it does take a bit to get use too

I think this has turned into a willy waving refit and will refrain from further views, shame really as the previous post was entertaining to say the least.

You could/may have purchased the exact animal that you are trying to achieve in the first place without the hassle.

But each to their own.

Hardly willy waving. Replacing corroded fasteners and fitting practical corner protection shows admirable attention to detail that should be applauded.

It's the details that will set this vehicle apart from the others. ( not keen on the tdci engine, though)

First thing for you to check out would be engine and gearbox mounts. While you are under there check uj's

With the remap they tend to be driven with a on off switch rather than an accelerator!! It can put a lot of stress on the basic things.

Mine is running around 175, it does take a bit to get use too

will be going on my brothers ramp tomorrow for a good rummage around :good::good:

Can't beat a bit of titivating. Rusty screws and bolts can be annoying.

cant they just :yes:

Hardly willy waving. Replacing corroded fasteners and fitting practical corner protection shows admirable attention to detail that should be applauded.

It's the details that will set this vehicle apart from the others. ( not keen on the tdci engine, though)

cheers SD :good::good:

wonder if i could take it off myself, :hmm::hmm:

I was just looking at this on youtube they say it needs heat to get it off I must say I do not go much on the black roof I just hope that if you take it off there was not a reason for him doing it in the first place ie damaged paint work.

I see in the photos you still have the Disco are you keeping it I thought the new Defender was its replacement I assume your Mrs has got a little runabout they tend to like small cars better for parking in town when shopping. :whistling:

Edited by four-wheel-drive

The black top makes a nice touch with the bumpers, light surrounds, mirrors and rear step being black too.

Have you found a picture of one without the back top in the same paint colour to see what it looks like.

to me this looks about as good as it gets, this has a grey roof, think its the wheels and tyres too, i believe there 18" wheels and its been lowered 4"

might also get rid of the black checker plate, but then ill be left with holes, choices choices, trying not to rush into any rash decisions though :good::good:

post-9513-0-31352000-1504045215_thumb.jpg

Edited by viking

I was just looking at this on youtube they say it needs heat to get it off I must say I do not go much on the black roof I just hope that if you take it off there was not a reason for him doing it in the first place ie damaged paint work.

I see in the photos you still have the Disco are you keeping it I thought the new Defender was its replacement I assume your Mrs has got a little runabout they tend to like small cars better for parking in town when shopping. :whistling:

just watched that, previous owner assured me it was just personal taste, yes the other half has a little Peugeot 208 gti in white, and as for the disco, undecided, its a good one so just in case i dont keep the defender to long im going to hang onto it for a bit, i know what im like, get an idea in my head of something i want then when i get it it think "why" :hmm::hmm:

im the same with guns, talk myself into wanting a certain gun,have it for a month or 2 then sell it,.

never been keen on checker plate, i can buy new sills for about £50 so it will be a case of filling the 4 holes in the back panel,

just called a local company about removing the wrap off the roof, said they cant do it of they didnt put it on, gimps