Dog barking

A1Decoy

Hello all,

Thought you guys would be good to ask. I take my other halfs 4yr old working black lab to work on a daily basis. She sits just outside the office in my truck, a nice amount of room with a bed and water and its in the countryside so nice surroundings. She gets a good walk before work for 40 mins plus, out at lunch time for a hour with my horses running around and walked after work. Plus in between if i have to pop up to our other building through the fields, she chases the quad or comes for a run. Shes only left on her own in the car for 2 x 3 hour periods.

She is excellent in every way, behavior and working but she has one problem, her barking. She barks a lot in general at people if they're by the house, her territory or when she feels like it, i think its as the other half praised her when she was younger for it.

The older shes got, the worse shes got barking. She now thinks she can do it all the time, at work with me in the truck she constantly barks if she sees someone, hears someone or the bell goes which is a delivery driver (her favorite thing to bark at!). I can see her, she'll be asleep and then suddenly start barking. I have tried everything, leaving the boot open, no difference, every time going down and shouting at her when she does it and also tried the praising her to see if shes nervous as a trainer said that may help, no difference, carries on. Every time she barks, she cowers as she knows she shouldn't do it. She is friendly towards people and i don't think she does it aggressively at all. Shes worse at work with myself, not sure if she knows i'm softer as my boyfriend is quite strict.

There is no alternative and she has to come to work with me until we find somewhere where she can stay at home for those hours. She can be a typical stubborn lab. She doesn't do it at EVERYTHING, some days she does it constant, others not as much.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Aimee

First thing is she safe being left in the truck in the heat. Even with the windows cracked open a few inches temperatures can rocket.

On the barking front. Innotek citronella collars work very well for most dogs. I have a pinscher who thought he could bark to get his own way. This worked for him. It sprays a lemon scent under their chin. They soon learn to stop barking.

First thing is she safe being left in the truck in the heat. Even with the windows cracked open a few inches temperatures can rocket.

On the barking front. Innotek citronella collars work very well for most dogs. I have a pinscher who thought he could bark to get his own way. This worked for him. It sprays a lemon scent under their chin. They soon learn to stop barking.

Same worked for my collie. They got sprayed twice. Now no collar.

Problem with citronella collars is that once they have been activated if you have a determined barker there is nowhere to go beyond the level you have already visited. I get lots of reports of dogs emptying citronella collars.

If you go down the electronic anti barking collar route you can move through levels to suit your dogs temperament or desire to bark. Then come back down again once they have begun to learn.

Obviously I am biased but I would look at anti barking collars on Dogtra UK.

Ian

Yes, the windows are blacked out, wide open and shes parked in the shade. The car stays nice and cool, i always make sure i check that so i know she isn't getting hot. Great, i've heard of those! Will look into it.

Edited by A1Decoy

I have just bought an anti bark collar that emits a tone and vibration on barking for the other halves 6 year old yorkie, who was a terrible barker; barked at any movement in or out of the house, to be let out, for food, absolutely anything. He has had the collar on since Tuesday, just the odd single bark now to which a tone is sounded, after which there is no further barking.

Works a treat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Bark-Collar-Pets-Finest/dp/B01NAKTLE6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1503571392&sr=8-3&keywords=anti+bark+collar+small+dog

Problem with citronella collars is that once they have been activated if you have a determined barker there is nowhere to go beyond the level you have already visited. I get lots of reports of dogs emptying citronella collars.

If you go down the electronic anti barking collar route you can move through levels to suit your dogs temperament or desire to bark. Then come back down again once they have begun to learn.

Obviously I am biased but I would look at anti barking collars on Dogtra UK.

Ian

Thank you - we have a good electric collar that was used previously on vibrate when she use to bolt if she saw a deer etc, never used since. I put on her once, just on the beep, then vibrate if she carried on barking. It worked, silence, then she got use to it, barked as realized it would only vibrate and I felt awful shocking her.

Maybe that is what i'll have to do, man up and give her a few low level shocks until she learns. The vibration she gets use to and doesn't seem to be bothered by it after a couple of barks! Thank you.

Edited by A1Decoy

I never recommend an actual E-Collar for anti barking. The reason being unless you are constantly waiting in anticipation of a bark, your timing will be off.

Good luck.

Ian

Yes - It can be set to go off when barking on its own, and you can set it to just vibrate/beep or shock depending on what you want it set on. So i'll set it to beep, vibrate and then shock at a low level if she keeps barking.