Where to put magnet

Mr Teapot

The magnet is excellent and I rarely set up without one.

Have a look at the stickies in shooting tips section.

If I remember correctly there are some diagrams from Beardo.

An easy layout is two random patterns in front of the hide, 4-5m apart. If the decoys at say 25m out, place the magnet in between but 5m closer to the hide. That's just one way, just watch the birds reactions and if you need to just change it until you see the birds commit to your kill zone.

Apart from this years youngsters , I doubt if there are many old ones that haven't seen a magnet at some stage of there life , everyone will have there favourite way of placing there rotaries ,as Cosd was saying , he put his directly in front with a layout either side slightly behind the magnet .

I still think I get more shooting by using one with decoys rather than just using decoys without any mechanical aid , I like decoying near a tree and I put mine well out with a decoy pattern just in range , the idea is , if they overfly the decoys I might get a shot if they make there way to the tree .

At the end of the day , I don't think there is no hard rules saying where the best position is , a mate of mine who is a very good shot often put his one behind him and take head on shots rather than shoot them over decoys , I have also seen people use just one arm instead of the two , and also tilt the base so it look like it is going up and down rather than going round in circles .

If none of the above works you can turn it off and just leave one on the arm facing the wind , its all about trial and error and trying your own way of during things , who knows , you might find the perfect position , if you do , we would love to know where it is .

I always have one with me. But I don't use it unless I have to. When I do set it up I always set it closer to the hide than the pattern and off to right or left depending on the wind. My theory is pretty simple. Generally approaching birds don't like flying over their mates to get into the pattern. The rotary is there draw their attention. So once you got that, you want them to focus on getting into land.