Right I Went and Bought one for curiosity

subsonicnat

Another thing to try is be patient and visit the 'open days' from major country stores. Last saturday there was one at Emmet&Stone (bucks) and they had Browning, Beretta, Guerini, Zoli and a few others with demo guns you could borrow and try on 3 stands...

That's where I bought my main clay gun last year, after trying about 8 of them -- still don't regret my decision!

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok mine arrived today wasn't the "Rambo" but the "shoggin" mounted it on gun looked through it and to my surprise I have a red dot and a ring woohooo . Will try it out this weekend and report back I've put mine on silver pigeon 1 which shoots high for me so the red dot looks about right height wise and I've adjusted to be over the bead . I've mounted the gun and then swung through a few pigeons gulls from the garden mmmmm this thing looks a game changer I can see my bead plus where the pattern will be in the air .lets hope it works

Edited by crazycooker

I enjoy shooting clays but mainly shoot them as practice for the game season , never competitively other than among friends.

If I used one of these devices to improve my clay shooting would it help when I took it off for game ?

I couldn't turn up at my syndicate shoot with one on the gun , the banter is fierce enough as it is and it probably doesn't fit with the etiquette.

But would I retain the memory pictures when shooting crossers , quartering and driven clays and be able to transfer that to real birds ?

I enjoy shooting clays but mainly shoot them as practice for the game season , never competitively other than among friends.

If I used one of these devices to improve my clay shooting would it help when I took it off for game ?

I couldn't turn up at my syndicate shoot with one on the gun , the banter is fierce enough as it is and it probably doesn't fit with the etiquette.

But would I retain the memory pictures when shooting crossers , quartering and driven clays and be able to transfer that to real birds ?

It's only right to say that the thread title applies to me.

If you look at the penultimate sentence to the post above yours, it begs the question, 'when do you actually get to look at the bird?' The best way to improve your clay shooting (I'm assuming that you'rer not an absolute dummy here) and therefore your game shooting is to practice more. If you're relying on the bird, a red dot and the sky where is the memory of a 'sight picture' going to come from when there's no red dot? Muscle memory, perhaps.

Edited by wymberley

It's only right to say that the thread title applies to me.

If you look at the penultimate sentence to the post above yours, it begs the question, 'when do you actually get to look at the bird?' The best way to improve your clay shooting (I'm assuming that you'rer not an absolute dummy here) and therefore your game shooting is to practice more. If you're relying on the bird, a red dot and the sky where is the memory of a 'sight picture' going to come from when there's no red dot? Muscle memory, perhaps.

I though that might be the case. So if my clay shooting improved over the next few weeks due to the red dot/ring, I would be kidding myself if I thought that it would make any difference when I start game shooting at the end of this month.

It might improve my confidence though which could help me shoot more decisively.

I might try one just to see what all the fuss is about.

I though that might be the case. So if my clay shooting improved over the next few weeks due to the red dot/ring, I would be kidding myself if I thought that it would make any difference when I start game shooting at the end of this month.

It might improve my confidence though which could help me shoot more decisively.

I might try one just to see what all the fuss is about.

I have to say that I'm with you on your final sentence.

As you have expressed no particular probem but just want to improve, then practice is the way ahead. But, yep, confidence is everything.

However, I take Crazycooker's point on board as he does have an existing problem. As he can already 'see' the bead' and knows he's shooting high, then this idea might solve the problem but it simply means that he's stuck with it as the only option if he takes it off is to get the comb height lowered. Having said that, if things do improve for him, then he can be resaonably sure that simply dropping the comb is the right long term decision.

Edited by wymberley

Ok mine arrived today wasn't the "Rambo" but the "shoggin" mounted it on gun looked through it and to my surprise I have a red dot and a ring woohooo . Will try it out this weekend and report back I've put mine on silver pigeon 1 which shoots high for me so the red dot looks about right height wise and I've adjusted to be over the bead . I've mounted the gun and then swung through a few pigeons gulls from the garden mmmmm this thing looks a game changer I can see my bead plus where the pattern will be in the air .lets hope it works

hello, might you put a link up for the one you purchased just in case the Rambo sells out :good:

I did a "test" on Saturday. I shot a left to right crosser about thirty yards out, a true crosser not quartering or anything. I shot it gun down as I always shoot esp (and game of course) I shot it taking the bead into account, then I shot it just looking for the front edge and letting the shot happen.

The former method was pants, I hit maybe 50% but the kills were way out. The latter method and the target was powder and shot considerably earlier and with what felt like very little effort and at least 80% success.

This was a good enough lesson for me to adopt the "don't look at the bead" method on my two partridge days booked this week.

I am not knocking the red dot thing, I haven't used one so would not wish to comment and I wish everyone who tries one success 👍

Well.... it appears I may have met the OP and the 'magic aid' on Friday last week.

The gent was so vitriolic about the product and attacking any other form of help such as comb raisers and glasses that we never got formally introduced. If that's the case, then 'hello, I'm Steve".

I had a look down the barrel ... and there is a dot hanging in the air, plus an awful lot of other stuff that can only get in the way of the sight picture.

I got on with my practice and only saw the OP on the middle pag on the Skeet range, where he missed all 4 targets with the aid in place.

Personally, I'd be happy to compete against anyone in a CPSA competition with one of these fitted as they can only hinder what you really need, which is a clear and focused view of the target.

I can see how they could possibly help someone starting out, but suspect that the old fashioned values of gunfit and technique will stay very firmly at the centre of those who progress in the sport.

If you want to try one, hold on for a month or 2 and I suspect the 2nd hand market will be flooded with 'lightly used' models starting at 99p.

Well.... it appears I may have met the OP and the 'magic aid' on Friday last week.

The gent was so vitriolic about the product and attacking any other form of help such as comb raisers and glasses that we never got formally introduced. If that's the case, then 'hello, I'm Steve".

I had a look down the barrel ... and there is a dot hanging in the air, plus an awful lot of other stuff that can only get in the way of the sight picture.

I got on with my practice and only saw the OP on the middle pag on the Skeet range, where he missed all 4 targets with the aid in place.

Personally, I'd be happy to compete against anyone in a CPSA competition with one of these fitted as they can only hinder what you really need, which is a clear and focused view of the target.

I can see how they could possibly help someone starting out, but suspect that the old fashioned values of gunfit and technique will stay very firmly at the centre of those who progress in the sport.

If you want to try one, hold on for a month or 2 and I suspect the 2nd hand market will be flooded with 'lightly used' models starting at 99p.

You wouldn't recommend one then? lol......

Doubtful from the off regarding the effectiveness of a sight like this on a shotgun, but ordered one and i can not wait for it to get here see for myself. One aspect which i do find interesting is the emotion these things seem to generate in some shooters :hmm:.

For some thing that is on the face of seemingly so innocuous there are some gauntlets being thrown down pantys bunched the works :lol: all over a cheap Chinese accessory. Really. :no: