Right I Went and Bought one for curiosity

subsonicnat

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As this device works on capturing light on the red tube to be able to reflect an image on the glass I have found that the easyhit is super bright on sunny days. I waiting on mine to arrive to evaluate the option of putting up a ring image along with the dot. It's pot luck at the moment as to whether it will be the rambo or the shooin!

Think it's one of those things that may provide confidence for some and a hinderance for others.

I know it's comparing apples with oranges but I hates the easy hit sight that was fitted to my gun when I bought it, was nothing but a distraction to me.

Half way around the sporting layout I puddles it off and shot much better for it. It's like anything you have those that prefer a traditional set up and those who like staring into a red ring :D

Doubtful from the off regarding the effectiveness of a sight like this on a shotgun, but ordered one and i can not wait for it to get here see for myself. One aspect which i do find interesting is the emotion these things seem to generate in some shooters :hmm:.

For some thing that is on the face of seemingly so innocuous there are some gauntlets being thrown down pantys bunched the works :lol: all over a cheap Chinese accessory. Really. :no:

Well it's this forum really, nothing particularly special. If you'd discuss the weather, you'd still end up with that anyway -- it's more or less always the same people too.

Well it's this forum really, nothing particularly special. If you'd discuss the weather, you'd still end up with that anyway -- it's more or less always the same people too.

I agree, this forum has many varied contributors from staunch traditionalists to new people just coming into the shooting sports with little or no views to share. It is the beauty of this forum that we often discuss seemingly pointless subjects to the enth degree, it doesn't usually get unpleasant, is frequently very entertaining and often instructional.

Personally, I like red dots, don't think that I would mount a picatinny rail or dot sight on my 1902 Remington or 1911 Ithaca doubles though!

If it takes years of practice to become good at something you enjoy and then someone finds a shortcut to success most people will take it .

I have been shooting for about seven years ,and although fairly average really enjoy all aspects of it, game, clays, pigeons etc , I am not particularly worried about becoming better than I currently am although I am always learning.

I don't think I would use a sight as I am happy with my clay scores in general and don't shoot comps, but I can imagine someone really competitive that gets really frustrated at their rate of improvement will try anything to speed it up so there will always be a market for this kind of thing, it's the same with fishing, there are flies that catch more anglers than fish, I've got boxes of them !

Got my Red dot today marked up SHOOIN not RAMBO in a stout cardboard box alen key silica gel sack and cleaning cloth, not sure how many days it took but its in this thread when i ordered it some where.

promptly laquered the cardboard box to give it a degree of waterproofing, first impressions of the sight light strong made i banged it down hard on the bench a half dozen times nothing fell off dropped out seemed ok.

Mounted it on an old Nikko 5000 rib was wide enough two pieces of rubber i cut from a mud flap filled in the rib sides scope clamped on easy with no damage possible to the rib and i bore sighted it around 30M.

Thing i did notice which i found annoying at first was the tint of the lens a blue tint which in shadow looked pronounced and if you looked through the lense from the side the tint turned a reddish hue was all a bit disconcerting.

Out in the field accompanied by a friend the tint was much less pronounced than in the garage you could still see a slight difference but you had to be looking for it the tint indeed the whole sight was simply unobtrusive we both felt it was more than acceptable in use no weight no encumbrance in any way and if you are not perilously going out of your way to look for it its barely noticeable and no way could it be described a profound obstruction.

In the wood spotted a Jay went looking for it and in the shadows the tint became more obvious again especially when looking out in to the brighter daylight looking into foliage it was ever so slightly darker but again not really any hindrance if looking through the lens.

Walking out the wood a pigeon left the wood side out over the field i shot it around 45 yards and can say now it did not register with me as seeing the red dot or the sight frame, i just shot it like normal the sight was not obtrusive in any way to shooting .

My companion took over the gun and within 25 mins had shot a right and a left on pigeon and he too did not find the sight a hindrance.

The walk out netted a rabbit and a squirrel i did miss one which got behind the tree in time, but overall, we agreed the red dot is as far as we are concerned of little benefit to us but equally is of no hindrance either now ok we are accomplished shots but i can not see how one of these sights could harm your shooting in any way, if you can shoot before you clamp one on it wont change anything because it is just a sight that is not obtrusive in anyway.

The paralax effect i can see and that could be of use in some scenarios with some people, and i suppose the red dot could help here. I know i am glad i tried this sight its innocuous and although i see little reason to use it personally i have experience with a red dot sight on a shotgun now something which i did not have until today. For the price of a take away pizza ordering a sight and trying it on a shotgun giving it a try can do no harm to anyone beginner or experienced alike for you it might just surprise you, or just go through life NOT KNOWING ;):lol:.

Edited by lancer425

I hadn't mounted it quite right was slightly up on one end!

Sorted now :)

Does it require any zeroing???

I would certainly shoot at a large paper target to see where your pattern is in relation to the red dot. Adjust it if necessary. Alternatively don't adjust it but be aware as to where your pattern is when shooting clays or birds.

I hadn't mounted it quite right was slightly up on one end!

Sorted now :)

Does it require any zeroing???

I would certainly shoot at a large paper target to see where your pattern is in relation to the red dot. Adjust it if necessary. Alternatively don't adjust it but be aware as to where your pattern is when shooting clays or birds.

I just bore sighted mine off the top barrel in a workmate lined it up with the swing down the yard, adjusted the grub screws the front elevation screw was two flats to centre the dot, as regards wind age it was just ensuring it was central when tightened.

locktite the two screws at one side if just using on the one gun as Subsonicnat did is a good idea i think.

To answer my own question regarding light requirements. For the benefit of others, . They manage lower light dusk and the like the dot is still visible if you look through the lense,going to try the sight in moonlight latter tonight moon is 100% so best chance tonight, .

Update some cloud but still bright patches , Plain fact is the sight struggled in such moonlight, very week red dot stood out against dark cloud but any lighter cloud and became invisible, this sight needs minimum overcast dusk to function practically, and although it failed it did perform in darker conditions than i expected it to.

Edited by lancer425

hello, for those interested i have just purchased off Aliexpess a small item,( no not a red fibre sight yet :no: ) i paid extra for china air mail less than $2, it has been shipped today Sept 1st on a 20 to 40 day posting as per the ordinary post, maybe of interest to some how long it takes so will let you know when arrives.cheers

hello, for those interested i have just received my post from Aliexpress sent china air mail, so that is 7 days which for me is a good deal, so if your looking at a fibre sight it is worth a look on Ali. cheers

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I'm wondering now about practical shotgun, would this be classed as a fibre tube as fittted to most pumps and autos or would this put those guns in the open class (with all the box fed all singing and dancing Guns) as an optical sight?

It might even upset some other rule makers!

I shall have to try next time out

They do put you in Open as it uses a lens. From 2018 though you have a choice of being in Open or Modified divisions. We got a few examples of the Easy Hit version when it came out a few years ago and it was impressive considering the lack of batteries but the simplicity Vs the cost (and it was 'on offer' at £120 back then) put a lot of people off, wondering "what am I paying my money for?". These knock offs might be of interest to some though so will bring them up at the next competition.

I have tried clays with a S1 shotgun with a 'proper' red-dot (Eotech XPS2) and found that 7/10 the 'hood' of the sight was right where the lead for the clay was and I ended up shooting blind as I couldn't see the clay for the sight! This sight has a much thinner hood than an Eotech though so you might get away with it.

I shot walked up partridge at a gundog FT the other day and can absolutely guarantee I saw no barrell and no bead whatsoever. Furthermore there would have been absolutely no time to put a red dot a ring or anything else on those birds. I haven't tried one so wont dismiss them for certain scenario but walked up partridge ain't one of them.