Alcohol free beer

gemini52

Thinking of trying some non alcoholic beers,i like a good beer like the rest of people,but at the moment due to health issues am not getting on with alcohol,i seem to remember one that came out in the eighties,it tasted like mouthwash,i was told to look out for the german wheat beers which are non alcoholic,a guy i have been working for drinks them all the time and reckons they are really good.

As the best of a bad bunch I drink alcohol free Lowenbrau. The alcohol free Cobra is also (in my opinion) one of the less unpleasant. Bitburger alcohol free is another of the better ones.

Have you tried;

• Alcohol free cider - not very like cider, but a refreshing drink and I find very pleasant to drink
  • Elderflower presse - available from Morrisons etc., and again a pleasnt refreshing alcohol free drink.

There are a number available from http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/

I've taken to Becks Blue - to the point where I'll choose it over a normal beer.

Keeps me alcohol free 4 days a week. It's really good.

Still cannot find a good alcohol free wine (red or white).

PS I was told that the original Kaliber had something (carp) added that gave you a headache so you believed you'd had a real drink. Scary....

Edited by Eyefor

Guest cookoff013

I just don't see the point, if I want an alcohol free drink I'll have a Coke or some flavoured sparkling water

The point maybe, coke or other are unsuitable. I don't drink coke regular because it's full of sugar and caffeine. The non alcoholic beers are a great alternative.

I've taken to Becks Blue - to the point where I'll choose it over a normal beer.

Keeps me alcohol free 4 days a week. It's really good.

Still cannot find a good alcohol free wine (red or white).

PS I was told that the original Kaliber had something (carp) added that gave you a headache so you believed you'd had a real drink. Scary....

i had Kalibre once.........................upset my tummy something chronic...

+1 for Becks Blue, I'm a shift worker and nice to have a fake beer at a BBQ before work. I love a good drink, pretty much anything from ales, cider to wine and whiskey and the Becks Blue cut it if you can't drink alcohol for whatever reason.

• 5 weeks later...

So normally I couldn't contribute to threads like this, but I went sans alcohol for a month recently.

Becks Blue was the only one I had tried before when driving so started there.

I then gave Carlsberg (yes I know) 0,0 a try and that was actually better.

But the best I tried by some distance was San Miguel 0,0

Of course I much prefer the real thing but if it came down to it I could drink that.

It would be interesting to set up a blind tasting as some of must be getting very close almost indistinguishable from their alcoholic counterparts.