No Classification at registered events target only?

evolution380

Will be shooting my first registered event on Sunday having now received my CPSA membership No, etc. reading the CPSA's website and just want to make sure I have my facts right.

I'm assuming as I'm not classified and have not shot a single registered target yet that I can only shoot target only at the clay grounds until I've registered 300 targets and obtained a temp classification? Or do they allow you to compete for prizes but stick you in the highest classification to ensure you can't cheat?

I know i'm not going to be competitive I just like to know these things.

Do I just tell the clay grounds my situation and that I'm a CPSA member and they do the rest (submitting scores etc) or do they ask for all this information when signing in anyway?

Only played in Golf competitions previously so I think i'm blinkered to how that works.

FINAL QUESTION:

Could you re-enter in a 100 bird registered competition if shooting 'target only' not for a better score but so you could submit 200 registered targets in a day as a means to obtaining a temporary classification quicker? Or are you limited to 1 target only entry per competition.

I've tried looking on their website etc. but can't find the answer.

You can be classified on the day using secrets stands which only the organizer knows but to be honest it a waste of time.

They will ask for your cpsa number when you book on. They do the rest. Might be worth mentioning it's your first registered.

You can usually shoot the shoot again as practice only. The first card will be your registered score.

Where are you going??

Jasper

Thanks Jasper!

Secrets stands could be a good idea for some, for me though getting used to the atmosphere of doing a few target only days will probably do me good to get used to it and experience.

I'll mention it is my first, just Nottingham and District they have a memorial DTL on which is registered.

You need to slow things down , forget about scores and take the time to learn to shoot , there's no need to rush it.

As you are going to learn when it comes to DTL speed , haste, impatience and second barrels will do you no favours at all ,

Concentration, and timing are the only two things you should be thinking about at the moment .

You need to slow things down , forget about scores and take the time to learn to shoot , there's no need to rush it.

As you are going to learn when it comes to DTL speed , haste, impatience and second barrels will do you no favours at all ,

Concentration, and timing are the only two things you should be thinking about at the moment .

agree with stevo also waste time going comp if you do rubbish u win no money if u do well when they class u put u in double a still win no money

I don't want to enter competitively not interested in that for a long while yet if I ever even get to that level. I do want to become classified though have a record of my scores and try and move up the classifications over the coming years. I advance better in those sort of surroundings than just generic practice I don't know why I just do I usually thrive on such atmosphere. I've been consistently shooting 22/23's now which i know is miles off being competitive especially with a couple of second barrels in there, but I'd like to see where i fair in terms of classification and it gives me a goal every six months to try and edge closer to a better classification.

I do tend to chuck myself in the deep end too, when i played golf i got down to low single figures, I could play to it but i could never win any competitions as i'd only ever be one or two shots below my handicap on a good day but otherwise consistently played to it.

Just think it will be good for my personal development but I do get both of your points, but think I came across as if i was itching to shoot in a registered event in a competitive manor which I know is worlds away and I have a lot of practice, experience and time before that may or may not be a reality.

Edited by evolution380

I don't want to enter competitively not interested in that for a long while yet if I ever even get to that level. I do want to become classified though have a record of my scores and try and move up the classifications over the coming years. I advance better in those sort of surroundings than just generic practice I don't know why I just do I usually thrive on such atmosphere. I've been consistently shooting 22/23's now which i know is miles off being competitive especially with a couple of second barrels in there, but I'd like to see where i fair in terms of classification and it gives me a goal every six months to try and edge closer to a better classification.

I do tend to chuck myself in the deep end too, when i played golf i got down to low single figures, I could play to it but i could never win any competitions as i'd only ever be one or two shots below my handicap on a good day but otherwise consistently played to it.

Just think it will be good for my personal development but I do get both of your points, but think I came across as if i was itching to shoot in a registered event in a competitive manor which I know is worlds away and I have a lot of practice, experience and time before that may or may not be a reality.

Crack on matey

E380

By all means go and shoot registered shoots, but enter the non competition side. By shooting birds only you are saving a couple of quid and may remove some of the pressure of the event.

But the major concern I have is, DTL works with a rhythm to a squad, as a newcomer, stand and watch a couple of squads shoot in front of you. The rhythm should become apparent.

Many shooters will be alongside friends and will be used to the natural rhythm, if you can spot this and join in it will help the flow of the squad and your performance.

Arrive early, book in to shoot later and watch and learn. Do mention that you are new to DTL and competitions and seek the advice that should be offered to you.

Enjoy yourself and let us know how it went.

Good luck

What Tightchoke says is very true, rhythm on a squad seems to be key. I am not a trap shooter but when only practising DTL I find it annoying if The rhythm is disturbed. I have heard that in some big competitions they squad according to class - is that true?

It is true about the rythmn of a trap squad particularly dtl who's followers are especially anal HOWEVER that's there problem, you have paid to shoot same as everyone else and should not allow yourself to be pressured into shooting within certain time restraints, you have ten seconds and can do with it what you please. Furthermore if dtl shooters are put off in any way by the rhythm or lack thereof of a squad then they need to address there own psychology.

Enter birds only and do not worry about anyone else or anyone else score. Do not chase a score concern yourself only with the target about to be shot at. Targets previous are history targets to come are the ones to consider.

Above all enjoy.

What Tightchoke says is very true, rhythm on a squad seems to be key. I am not a trap shooter but when only practising DTL I find it annoying if The rhythm is disturbed. I have heard that in some big competitions they squad according to class - is that true?

Sian it is normally a squad of guys who have shot together for a long time and will book in together to get a solid squad.

I was heavily involved in the running of the British Open, HI and European Chanm's for DTL this year and wish that was the case Sian.

Not only do they choose their squad they also get to choose their starting peg.

High maintenance doesn't even begin to describe some of the DTL shooters. Of course the vast majority are good people, but by the holy they can be uptight when they shoot.

It's not like it's going to be a surprise what the target is going to do.

I do however take my hat off to the concentration level of the good shots, much much respect for that.

Very interesting Graham, some years ago whilst being coached at DTL by the Senior Team Captain I had the temerity to turn up with a Beretta with red woodwork.

I always used to go on at No 1 as that was the stand nobody else ever seemed to want.

Having shot the first 25, one of the other Squad Members came over to me and asked "why I had a bright red gun?"

I replied that "it was the same colour as my car."

He then stated that "it was putting him off!"

I politely pointed out to him "that was another good reason!"

I was heavily involved in the running of the British Open, HI and European Chanm's for DTL this year and wish that was the case Sian.

Not only do they choose their squad they also get to choose their starting peg.

High maintenance doesn't even begin to describe some of the DTL shooters. Of course the vast majority are good people, but by the holy they can be uptight when they shoot.

It's not like it's going to be a surprise what the target is going to do.

I do however take my hat off to the concentration level of the good shots, much much respect for that.

It's funny I had no nerves when I did my first Fitasc shoot and still never worry about it even though I am really not very good but the thought of doing a DTL registered fills me with a little trepidation and that is all based on what is said about the way the shooters are. Only DTL comp I've done is the 25 single barrel as part of an all round and that is usually shooters who shoot a lot of disciplines so it not the same. One day I'll do it .

thanks all for the comments!

I've been rather sad much to the girlfriends annoyance and in the past week ran probably 12 rounds of DTL to get used to the rhythm, I was booked in with a couple of the guys on Sunday for the shoot as they told me to book in with them as there was a peg left. I think they have a group of 4 and said they will book me on in future with them so that's put my mind at ease a little.

Be good to shoot with familiar and friendly faces in the first few target only registered events. I think I'll do a minimum of 5 target onlys and see how my average looks before considering entering anything other than target only. The money doesn't matter it's only a few quid but I'd prefer to get a good consistent average (for me) before hand.

Annoyingly however I've had to remove my name for Tommorow as more urgent matters have arisen so it looks like just a practice day on Monday for me and hopefully a registered event next weekend!

I suppose it gives me a couple hundred birds or so extra practice between now and then!

I went to watch a DTL event the other week as well as a skeet to get an understanding of how different it is on the layouts at such events. Both were British Opens however so very serious but good to see nonetheless and see the difference between practice and events.

It's funny I had no nerves when I did my first Fitasc shoot and still never worry about it even though I am really not very good but the thought of doing a DTL registered fills me with a little trepidation and that is all based on what is said about the way the shooters are. Only DTL comp I've done is the 25 single barrel as part of an all round and that is usually shooters who shoot a lot of disciplines so it not the same. One day I'll do it .

I will do it one day too, but after watching about 8000 targets over the 4 days of the various comp's I confess that it doesn't fill me with excitement.

About 2 months previous there was a 2 day GB selection shoot for double trap with Olympic medalists shooting, most relaxed competition ever. Tunes pumping out during the shoot off and everyone with their groove on really enjoying what was going on.

At the DTL event a fly beating it's wings in the neighbouring town was being frozen out the sky by the dead eye scowls from shooters and their entourage alike. I exaggerate a little bit, but only just a little.

DTL and trap events have always had a serious side, even skeet to me gets put in that department from my past experiences, you need to turn your shooting over to the sporting side of life where even if you drop 6 targets you could still be a World Champion and further more these lads and lasses will actually have a laugh with each other before taking the stand. I have shot sporting for 25 years and even though i am now 70 years old ,I love every minute of it. I still have my diaries of my early trials and horror scores and at sporting, I progressed with a 10% improvement in the first year and then an astonishing to me, 30% in the next year, right up to where i was hitting high 80's an even a 91 in my better performances all on registered targets.Now sadly in decline my scores are no where near as good as they were but what the heck, i'm still loving it..... so my advice is to keep a diary and aim to keep beating your own scores but most of all ...Enjoy. from Auntie..

Got up today for practice and managed 22 and 23 out of 25 on DTL. Very annoying though as no mater what I do I can't hit with the second barrel.

I have 1/2 in the top barrel which is an extended choke and full in the bottom barrel which is flush choke. Hit the vast majority first barrel but today I think I got 1 second barrel hit.

Not sure if it's in my mind but can having an extended and a flush cause a slight discrepancy? Was going to buy a 3/4 extended choke for the bottom barrel as in my head I think I convince myself with full choke I won't be able to hit anything.

Managed 20/25 in skeet saw a nice price on premier guns for Teague ported Chokes £30 so bought a couple skeet Chokes which should allow a bit more forgiveness than 1/4 1/4

Got up today for practice and managed 22 and 23 out of 25 on DTL. Very annoying though as no mater what I do I can't hit with the second barrel.

I have 1/2 in the top barrel which is an extended choke and full in the bottom barrel which is flush choke. Hit the vast majority first barrel but today I think I got 1 second barrel hit.

Not sure if it's in my mind but can having an extended and a flush cause a slight discrepancy? Was going to buy a 3/4 extended choke for the bottom barrel as in my head I think I convince myself with full choke I won't be able to hit anything.

Managed 20/25 in skeet saw a nice price on premier guns for Teague ported Chokes £30 so bought a couple skeet Chokes which should allow a bit more forgiveness than 1/4 1/4

Probably going over the top if missing whole birds