No Classification at registered events target only?

evolution380

Got up today for practice and managed 22 and 23 out of 25 on DTL. Very annoying though as no mater what I do I can't hit with the second barrel.

I have 1/2 in the top barrel which is an extended choke and full in the bottom barrel which is flush choke. Hit the vast majority first barrel but today I think I got 1 second barrel hit.

Not sure if it's in my mind but can having an extended and a flush cause a slight discrepancy? Was going to buy a 3/4 extended choke for the bottom barrel as in my head I think I convince myself with full choke I won't be able to hit anything.

Managed 20/25 in skeet saw a nice price on premier guns for Teague ported Chokes £30 so bought a couple skeet Chokes which should allow a bit more forgiveness than 1/4 1/4

Why do you defy convention? The open choke would normally be in the bottom barrel with the tighter one in the top. Seems to work for all the other DTL shooters!

As for an extended choke, the expected improvement in pattern is down to the more gradual constriction.

Mixing flush and extended chokes will cause no problems, but appears to be playing with your mind.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

Why do you defy convention? The open choke would normally be in the bottom barrel with the tighter one in the top. Seems to work for all the other DTL shooters!

As for an extended choke, the expected improvement in pattern is down to the more gradual constriction.

Mixing flush and extended chokes will cause no problems, but appears to be playing with your mind.

No reason really, I just have it in my mind with full choke now that second barrels are almost always a miss, so I just somehow got into shooting top barrel first with the 1/2 choke in.

Like you say I think it's more or a mental block I think as sporting etc. I always put 1/2 top 1/4 bottom.

I may change to 1/4 and 1/2 see how I get on as I'm hitting with the first barrel well within range of 1/4 choke. When I first started I had 1/4 and 1:2 in and broke a lot more second barrel, so maybe I just need to stop faffing and get on with it.

I let stuff get in my head too much!

No reason really, I just have it in my mind with full choke now that second barrels are almost always a miss, so I just somehow got into shooting top barrel first with the 1/2 choke in.

Like you say I think it's more or a mental block I think as sporting etc. I always put 1/2 top 1/4 bottom.

I may change to 1/4 and 1/2 see how I get on as I'm hitting with the first barrel well within range of 1/4 choke. When I first started I had 1/4 and 1:2 in and broke a lot more second barrel, so maybe I just need to stop faffing and get on with it.

I let stuff get in my head too much!

Who is giving you lessons at Notts ??

Stop faffing and empty your head of all this useless stuff!

Get on the peg, put two shells in, close the gun, seat it in your shoulder, place your head on the stock, call the bird and smoke it.

No need for a second barrel shot!

You're dead right! I'll think less and enjoy it more.

Who is giving you lessons at Notts ??

Lee but unfortunately not been able to get a lesson with him for quite a few weeks now as he's so chocker and I can't book far in advance. A couple of lessons with him will get me back on track as we never had chance to run A DTL layout in our lessons.

Hopefully get in with him in the next couple of weeks and he'll make me snap out of it as he always does!

For trap you want a minimum of 1/2 - 3/4 and that will give little if any benefit to 3/4 - full on an edge on target. Bottom barrell more open choke is ALWAYS the first shot I stress ALWAYS. More open chokes such as 1/4 are of NO benefit for trap you will just have poorer quality breaks, dusting a target with tighter chokes boosts ones confidence for the next shot.

As for poor record re second barrel kills, the main reason for this is not committing fully to the first shot, most trap targets from my experience are missed under or behind again due to lack of commitment to the shot. Think and focus on the leading edge of the target before calling for bird and lock focus onto that leading edge then let your instinct take over. Practice this focus on leading edge whilst watching previous squad. Nothing else matters (as long as gun fit and mount is reliable) but hard focus on leading edge.

Commit to the first barrell, shoot to "hit the target" do not shoot "not to miss"

For trap you want a minimum of 1/2 - 3/4 and that will give little if any benefit to 3/4 - full on an edge on target. Bottom barrell more open choke is ALWAYS the first shot I stress ALWAYS. More open chokes such as 1/4 are of NO benefit for trap you will just have poorer quality breaks, dusting a target with tighter chokes boosts ones confidence for the next shot.

As for poor record re second barrel kills, the main reason for this is not committing fully to the first shot, most trap targets from my experience are missed under or behind again due to lack of commitment to the shot. Think and focus on the leading edge of the target before calling for bird and lock focus onto that leading edge then let your instinct take over. Practice this focus on leading edge whilst watching previous squad. Nothing else matters (as long as gun fit and mount is reliable) but hard focus on leading edge.

Commit to the first barrell, shoot to "hit the target" do not shoot "not to miss"

Thanks mate,

All taken aboard will try out those things, negativity is definitely a bad one for me, I'm a ****** for it. Not that anyone would notice more of a battle against my brain hidden beneath.

I'll just enjoy practice, and not worry about the scores, after all a bad round on any layout is better than working :lol: . Will be getting a lesson or two in soon when the instructor is available and start from the ground up.

I've got a 3/4 choke being delivered in the next couple of days, i'll chuck this in the top barrel and 1/2 in the bottom as I've lost all confidence with the full chokes so can at least just start a fresh for now with 1/2 and 3/4.

Thanks All :good:

Another tip you might want to try i when your practicing shoot with one cartridge in the bottom barrel. That's it ( single barrel ) As ips says you need to make that first barrel count.

The second barrel should only be used in cases of emergencies 😁👍

It's great for getting you to concentrate on that first barrel kill.

This I how I practice ABT

Another tip you might want to try i when your practicing shoot with one cartridge in the bottom barrel. That's it ( single barrel ) As ips says you need to make that first barrel count.

The second barrel should only be used in cases of emergencies

It's great for getting you to concentrate on that first barrel kill.

This I how I practice ABT

Thanks stevo, god knows why or how i picked up that habit i can't justify it. Always been taught as you mentioned on skeet/sporting/FITASC etc. to have the tightest choke in the over barrel, just a Noobie error i think and me overthinking the whole scenario.

I'll run a few DTL single barrel only practices, we have an ABT layout currently as there was an All Round event over the weekend, may give that a try before they remove it again as i don't think it's staying as a permanent layout which i'd be able to practice on in the future.

After i'd shot 'practice' DTL & Skeet I had a good walk around following a A - AA squad as I thought it would be a good opportunity to see higher level shooters shoot a range of disciplines... all a good learning experience!

Don't bother with Notts ABT. Carl only puts it on now and then and it's not worth shooting when it is on. ITS NOT ABT it is just slightly faster DTL. If you want to see what real ABT is go to bevererly , the priory , rugby and district or nutthampstead. But I would worry about DTL for now.

Don't bother with Notts ABT. Carl only puts it on now and then and it's not worth shooting when it is on. ITS NOT ABT it is just slightly faster DTL. If you want to see what real ABT is go to bevererly , the priory , rugby and district or nutthampstead. But I would worry about DTL for now.

Yeah when talking with a few people the other day Carl didn't seem much interested in keeping the ABT for long after this weekends event. I'll focus on DTL for now, ABT was interesting to watch mind!

I'll give them a peek in the future :good:

As stevo says leave abt alone for now, it will mash your head up. Dtl is the best discipline to get your gunmount and technique reliable also good for general pre mount routine.

As I said earlier the secret to trap particularly dtl which is relatively easy is to commit to the shot, it is very easy to try not too miss which messes your timing and results in a miss. I have personally never adopted the training with one shot but I do not dismiss it as a potentially a good plan. 👍

The ABT traps at Nuthampstead were removed a couple of years ago. Only OT, UT and DT shot on the trench layouts now.

I'll advance my DTL before i step up to ABT :lol:

Got my Briley IM / 3/4 choke delivered today so i'm going to chuck that in the top barrel, 1/2 choke in the bottom and enjoy a few practice rounds this evening and stay positive throughout.

I feel more positive just having the 3/4 choke as I had zero confidence with the factory browning full choke, so was playing a mind game on me.

Shall see how I do!