One of them days

la bala

Nice bag, and the lad did well sticking it out for that long, don't think I could do that now, be interesting to know what he was shooting over.

As a rule I find that if you start shooting around 7am-8am at this time of year by midday they are looking for safer feeding ground, look forward to a full report.

Well done Stu :good:

Nice bag, and the lad did well sticking it out for that long, don't think I could do that now, be interesting to know what he was shooting over.

As a rule I find that if you start shooting around 7am-8am at this time of year by midday they are looking for safer feeding ground, look forward to a full report.

Well done Stu :good:

Well he hasnt put a report up so i will tell you what i know. This same location yielded an even bigger bag about the same time last year. At the lads place of work there are large areas of waste land, back filled worked out brickpits, at one point of the compass there are woods, on the opposite open farmland. My son set up directly under the flightline. As i said on the original post he had shot 45 just after nine, by ten he had 80 on the clicker. The next 4 hours things were very slow and only yielded 18. The boy decided to have a siesta and wait for any early birds returning on the flightline. He did well to stick it out, as the clicker shows. Decoys were used but this was mainly flightline shooting, he said only 20-25% came into the decoys, but he had a cracking day on high birds. The ground where his decoys were placed was weeded waste land. Good thing he waited for the start of the return flight. He said he could have shot much later but with picking up and stowing his gear taking best part of an hour, driving home another half hour he decided to call it a day. The few birds that did land, he can only think they were after the odd bit of chickweed or even grit maybe.

Blimey that must have been one heck of a flight line to shoot that many, must say its my favourite way of shooting pigeons rather than over the decoys, you don't usually get big bags but the shooting is far more challenging and you remember some of the fast and high birds for the rest of your life.

Those pigeons were going somewhere, pity he could not have found their preferred field.

Well done again for sticking it out for that long, :good: afraid my days of stopping out for 10-12 hours is long gone but I guess he has got youth and enthusiasm on his side.

Blimey that must have been one heck of a flight line to shoot that many, must say its my favourite way of shooting pigeons rather than over the decoys, you don't usually get big bags but the shooting is far more challenging and you remember some of the fast and high birds for the rest of your life.

Those pigeons were going somewhere, pity he could not have found their preferred field.

Well done again for sticking it out for that long, :good: afraid my days of stopping out for 10-12 hours is long gone but I guess he has got youth and enthusiasm on his side.

Two hundred flighted pigeons would be better than 1,000 pigeons going into decoys.