Stick Making

Old Boggy

In order to spend more time in my shed when not shooting or attending to the wife`s needs, I`m thinking of having a go at stick making/carving and wondered if anyone can recommend a good book to get me started. It needs to be fairly basic and not too advanced, as my carpentry skills are fairly mediocre but I`m willing to give it a try.

Someone may even have a suitable book knocking about that I could buy.

I`ve already made a couple of basic thumbsticks but just wish to be a bit more adventurous and imaginative.

Thanks in advance of any replies received.

OB

Many moons ago I was given some useful advice from a chap carving stick heads at the game fairs ...was his name Tom? Ginger hair, beard one of the worlds nice guys.

He suggested I make the joint between the head and the stick at an angle as it was much easier to get a really close tight fit all round that way and he was right.

Just google stick making books ... enough there to keep you very busy :yes::good:

Edited by Walker570

Hi OB

The book I use and still refer to is "Stick Making A Complete Course" by Andrew Jones and Clive George. This will give you all the basics and then you will get your own ideas as you go along

Below is a few of the sticks that I have made and use may types of wood. Just in this picture the are Blackthorn,Holly, Hazel, Apple and Ash but I have many more

Good luck and if you need any help put up some more messages

post-60674-0-09125700-1503861189_thumb.jpg

I started with the above book but also attended a stick making class for a while

The wood / horn cutting and carving is faily basic woodwork type stuff but if you intend to do sticks with rams horn you need to boil them and then press them so to make them stable and fill the void in the middle

Hah! Theo Fossil, taken before his time. Talked sticks with him at many shows and he tried to buy one from me but I was not selling. Iron wood I brought back from New Zealand, stumped him completely as he could not identify it. Having seen some of his work, then that book would be well worth buying.

• 1 month later...

I took the advice of Stimo22 and Chrisp and have now got the book they recommended (revised edition) and so glad I did.

It is full of very practical advice and beautifully illustrated. The two authors are true craftsmen.

Will be out and about on the look out for suitable sticks, preferably blackthorn, to cut, although I have a couple that I cut last year, which should get me started.

Thanks again for the advice.

I now have an excuse to spend more productive time in my shed.

OB