Primos party blower!!!

JD140

I've recently bought a Primos Crow Caller and must admit I'm struggling to get along with it. I've read the instructions, watched Youtube videos and whilst I've never been aware of suffering from any learning difficulties I just can't make it sound like a crow, it just sounds like a party blower!

The young lad on Youtube gives a great demonstration of 'cawing' whilst you blow and the crows come pouring in, no matter what throat of guttural noise I make the thing just squeals. Has anyone else had any issues or have i possible just got a dud???

Edited by JD140

Hi JD. I have found that if you just blow it will sound like a party blower. I find that slowing down the speed and volume of air flow is a start. Then when blowing try not to blow from down in your lungs but rather to blow from the back of your throat. I hope that makes sense. Then again if you have tried this and it still isn't working it could a duff as you said.

I've recently bought a Primos Crow Caller and must admit I'm struggling to get along with it. I've read the instructions, watched Youtube videos and whilst I've never been aware of suffering from any learning difficulties I just can't make it sound like a crow, it just sounds like a party blower!

The young lad on Youtube gives a great demonstration of 'jawing' whilst you blow and the crows come pouring in, no matter what throat of guttural noise I make the thing just squeals. Has anyone else had any issues or have i possible just got a dud???

Hello, i am with you JD, i see some one say take the rubber sleeve off, that did not do much so i bought a electronic gadget, ben spencer fox/crow/magpie caller

Hello, i am with you JD, i see some one say take the rubber sleeve off, that did not do much so i bought a electronic gadget, ben spencer fox/crow/magpie caller

Illegal for birds unless you are taking pictures :lol::lol::lol:

Try making a cawing noise through it rather than blowing. You are trying to make a cckkhhhh sound in the back of your throat and you will find the crow call. Then you can cup it in your hand and squeeze the reed to get variation.

If you have Instagram or Facebook follow the contrymans diary, fella who's page it is is called Carl. Now he uses the primos crow caller brilliantly. I struggled for ages and sounded like the above posters, but watching his videos and keep practising and changing the way I blew into it and now have it sorted. Tho not to his standard.

Illegal for birds unless you are taking pictures :lol::lol::lol:

Try making a cawing noise through it rather than blowing. You are trying to make a cckkhhhh sound in the back of your throat and you will find the crow call. Then you can cup it in your hand and squeeze the reed to get variation.

hello, might just have well been taking photos oowee with the backies that flew on after a shot or 2/ 3/ :lol:

You must produce the air from your diaphragm like you do with a duck call.

If your getting a high pitched squeek it`s because you`re blowing from your cheeks. The air you are producing is travelling too fast and is causing the reed to vibrate too quickly, hence the high pitch.

Produced correctly from the diaphragm you produce more volume of air, but it`s travelling slower and therefore vibrating the reed at the correct, slower, speed to give the crow sound.

Take a look at some of the tutorial stuff on www.mpkcustomcallsandwoodwork.com It`s mainly for duck calls but the principle is identical.

Good luck.

I've read all the above and decided I must have a dud!

If you read my original post I've already said that I have tried loads of different blowing techniques, nothing happens except a high pitched squeak. Anyway, I have contacted A1 Decoys and asked them to replace it, with the amount of money I've spent with them lately it would be silly if they refused as it is quite obviously faulty. It also seems to me that there is rather a lot of effort required from reading above. I wanted something that attracted crows, not the hassle of learning to play a musical instrument!!!

Obviously a business opportunity for anyone who wants to manufacture one of these things that actually works without having to undertake a training course to use it!

I've used the Primos Power Crow caller for many years with great success. Personally, I didn't find it hard to use from day one, so perhap's I was lucky. Using mine, I can call in Crow's, Rooks, Jackdaw's (it's excellent for these) and even Seagulls. (just to prove I could do it) The Sam Neyt one is very good, but the Primos can do the same, and much more than it. I bougght one and sold it the very next day.

A lot of people give up on the Primos caller which is a shame, because in my opinion, it's the best.

I've used the Primos Power Crow caller for many years with great success. Personally, I didn't find it hard to use from day one, so perhap's I was lucky. Using mine, I can call in Crow's, Rooks, Jackdaw's (it's excellent for these) and even Seagulls. (just to prove I could do it) The Sam Neyt one is very good, but the Primos can do the same, and much more than it. I bougght one and sold it the very next day.

A lot of people give up on the Primos caller which is a shame, because in my opinion, it's the best.

I would happily persevere if I thought I was likely to get anywhere. When I blow through the one I've been sent it's as thought it is partially blocked and hard to blow through, this is what creates the ridiculous high pitched squeal. No matter how I try to use it I can't produce a note anywhere near deep enough to resemble a crow

I would happily persevere if I thought I was likely to get anywhere. When I blow through the one I've been sent it's as thought it is partially blocked and hard to blow through, this is what creates the ridiculous high pitched squeal. No matter how I try to use it I can't produce a note anywhere near deep enough to resemble a crow

I suppose it could be faulty.

ive been using one for 2 years now good bit of kit does need some practise but stick with it

Just out of interest, do you bite/release the reed when you use yours or just control it with the pressure at which you blow? The young lad on Youtube uses his hand cupped over the end of the device to enhance the sound. All seems very technical!!!

I bought a primos years ago and never got on with it, I then bought a sam neyt FT3 call (link below) I got on with it from day one, used with much success, I also bought one of sams MDX magpie calls, used that with crows as well... love them both and carry both when out to mix things up, I cant recommend them enough

http://www.lakesidecalls.co.uk/sam-neyt-crow--magpie-call.html

Edited by kiffy

Just out of interest, do you bite/release the reed when you use yours or just control it with the pressure at which you blow? The young lad on Youtube uses his hand cupped over the end of the device to enhance the sound. All seems very technical!!!

To get a Crow sound, I exhale from my stomach and don't bite the reed. To get a Jackdaw sound, I bite the rubber, releasing the bite half way through the call. This mimics the 'cackling' of Jackdaws. I sometimes cup my hand over the end.

I bought a primos years ago and never got on with it, I then bought a sam neyt FT3 call (link below) I got on with it from day one, used with much success, I also bought one of sams MDX magpie calls, used that with crows as well... love them both and carry both when out to mix things up, I cant recommend them enough

I have Sams call also and it's great! The mdx isn't a bad price either :good:

I'm going to order one based on your reply, thank you. Is it much easier to use than the Primos, as I don't think given ten years I could ever get the thing to work?

I'm going to order one based on your reply, thank you. Is it much easier to use than the Primos, as I don't think given ten years I could ever get the thing to work?

The Sam Neyt caller is much easier to perfect than the Primos, but I prefer the Primos because of the bigger range of calls that I can get out of it.