Pulling birds off flight line

wokkywokky

I have identified a flight line that runs along one side of a hedge however that side is over a field I don't have permission on. I have permission on this side of the hedge. I have never setup with the aim of pulling birds off the flight line. My question is do I need to be directly under the flight line to be successful or would the birds come off their line and head for my decoys?

Any advise or tips would be most welcomed.

Edited by wokkywokky

It is often possible to 'steer' the pigeons nearer to you. I find a rotary the best tool for this job, obviously positioned where the birds can see it. They might not decoy but will often come for a look and within range.

Some great sport can be had if it goes to plan.

It all depends on what you have on offer for the birds. I have seen it done using a simple string flapper on a field of flattened wheat. the line was probably 150 to 200 paces away in the next field and going straight across. the wheat field was on a slight slope towards the line. when a bird was about level with the pattern on it's line the flapper was given about three pulls. the birds immeadiatly turned and came around into the pattern. I think that the wind was left to right and the birds were traveling R<< L . this meant that when they came off line they were automatically coming into wind to the pattern.

It is often possible to 'steer' the pigeons nearer to you. I find a rotary the best tool for this job, obviously positioned where the birds can see it. They might not decoy but will often come for a look and within range.

I do this quite a lot, get as near to the flightline as I can and set up a decoy pattern as I would if they were feeding on that field and pull them over to our side, we do it on grass fields next to standing crops also

This.

Results in some excellent sport.