Tomato Ripening

blast2012

Hi All,

Most of my toms are taking an absolute age to ripen. They are in grow bags and have a heavy crop, the cherry toms are doing well and ripening but my Roma and Fiorientino toms are green...and have been for a month!!!

The Romas are about the size of golf ball (they should be twice that atleast) stopped growing and staying green. The Fiorientinos are still growing...slowly but again, still green.

I gave 3 plants to a friend and hers are ripening and growing on well.

Any ideas what happening to mine???

Are you watering twice a day and feeding well?

Did you stop them after 5 trusses?

Will you be looking for a recipe for green tomato chutney?

Still watering and feeding.

Ah...didnt stop after 5

Yes, most probably I have a lot of fruit

Stop watering them, or pick them & store with some bananas, they help to ripen them.

I shall try that.

Thanks for the replies

My tomato plants have grown absolutely huge - tall and wide and laden with massive (but deeply segmented) fruit.

It's almost all green, but, over the Bank Hol, a bit of sun ripened a couple of them to a dirty pink, which was close enough!

Delicious thickly sliced and sprinkled with a little bit of salt.

I've tried to arrest the growth of the plants where I can, but they are so vigorous (Russian Black) that I've struggled to contain them! They are in the soil, rather than in grow bags.

Don't lose heart - they will get there. As has been said, you can still chivvy the fruit along once picked.

If they really won't behave, chutney like you've never chutneyed before :good:

LS

I also remove most of the leaves when the fruit has reached a decent size I think this makes them ripen quicker, ive always done it because dad always did and it worked for him. I only water every other day for one minute using my auto waterer which is connected to my hose pipe. Toms seem to enjoy regular watering and it stops the skins splitting. It may also help to keep the door shut if you have them inside just to keep them a bit warmer .

I take most of the leaves of as when you are feeding plants you are also feeding leaves.

By taking them of the feed goes to the tomato not the leaves.

A more likely scenario is that feeding the plants feeds the leaves, the leaves feed the fruit.

If you take the leaves off the fruit the fruit is no longer being fed which induces ripening.

Any feed you give the plant after taking the leaves off just goes to waste. Either way you end up with ripe fruit, but you could save yourself a bit by not feeding after taking leaves off.