Tiling a Shower

subsonicnat

Hi PW Masses.

Could someone on here tell me the difference about TILES for a Shower Cubicle.

Did read somewhere,it may have been on here that tiles can absorb water.??.

I would have taken face value that all Shiny Tiles would be water proof..

Is there a diffinitive answer to what sort of tiles are required,,

Thank you.

Hi Welshgun,Have you any idea of size and prices,and what would I be asking for..

Thank you.

Sory for edit...

Who stocks this type of product,,Tileing Places.??.

There's a whole range of different products, personally myself I use a company named principality plastics .

I used there 2.4 x 1.2 x 10mm maxi panels , a good range of colours and good service.

Theirs only one type of panel I would ever buy. I sell them for a very good reason .

100% water proof and a choice of profile on the edge.

nuance by bush board . You get a 3 years guarantee on material but it'll last 20 I promise.

It's around £230 a 8x4 sheet or 2440mm x 1220mm (metric)

https://www.bushboard.co.uk/products/range/nuance-64

Never ever had or heard of one problem.

The cheaper boards don't use a waterproof core

Edited by team tractor

Theirs only one type of panel I would ever buy. I sell them for a very good reason .

100% water proof and a choice of profile on the edge.

nuance by bush board . You get a 3 years guarantee on material but it'll last 20 I promise.

It's around £230 a 8x4 sheet or 2440mm x 1220mm (metric)

https://www.bushboard.co.uk/products/range/nuance-64

Never ever had or heard of one problem.

The cheaper boards don't use a waterproof core

£230 for an eight by four sheet? It would be cheaper to use six mill ply and have it gold plated!

Hi subsonic national plastics I use take a look at they're geo range panels packs range from £50 sizes 10mm X 250mm X 2.6m X 4 in the pack but also do a full panel hope this helps.

Edited to add 1m X 2.4m panels start at same price as packs .

Edited by welshgun

I have just had my bathroom refitted. They have used 'wet wall' boards just in the shower area, (aprox £300 for 2 x 8' x 4' sheets) and plastic boards for the remainder and the ceiling. The total cost for the materials, less the adhesive and the sealant was under £600. I had 'wet wall' in my last property for some 12 years without any trouble at all. I used 'Mer' car polish on it a couple of times a year which kept it looking as new. No mould problems and no water leaking around the shower base and no grout to discolour. Just use their jointing sections and adhesive and it will be fine.

Hi PW Masses.

Could someone on here tell me the difference about TILES for a Shower Cubicle.

Did read somewhere,it may have been on here that tiles can absorb water.??.

I would have taken face value that all Shiny Tiles would be water proof..

Is there a diffinitive answer to what sort of tiles are required,,

Thank you.

How come swimming pools are tiled then ??

As you say how cab a ceramic tile absorb water ??

That is certainly a lot to absorb..

Will be looking at options before We make our minds up..

My two sons used to fit bathrooms and on-suite,They were very good,and thzts why they are doing it..

My eldest did recommend the sheets as he said no mildew etc,easy to keep clean. But,

Are Dearer....My sons do all the tiling, electrics,Fitting the Shower Head etc..

Yes he does have a ticket electrician,, He would have been Horrified with thread on here with wet room electrics..In fact would probably have torn it out then and there..

Thank you all very much for your inputs,will be looking hard into all suggestions..

Cheaper than tiles? to fit? Wickes have some £6 a sq metre tiles, £25 tub of adhesive- 8 m2 coverage and grout. (thats floor price, not trade which is at least 10% less)

Bet the trims for the tiles are a lot cheaper as well

No trims for this stuff.

No grout to clean

Remember a tiler is £180 a day and I can fit these boards in around 3-4 mins

You need to compare it like for like. The money you'd need to spend on granite, marble tiles to get the same colour, style

Edited by team tractor

i can see the labour saving. Do you bond them to the wall? Do you have joining/corner trims? if not how do you connect them together?

You order the right profile . Tongue and groove to join and simply squirt bb complete ( sealant) in the joint and clean off with thinners.

In my pics it's 3 boards joined together.

You can buy a rounded end panel .

Just stick to the wall using silicon.

It's fantastic stuff unless your a **** like me that snapped a board rushing :/ I could of cried.

Edited by team tractor

You order the right profile . Tongue and groove to join and simply squirt bb complete ( sealant) in the joint and clean off with thinners.

In my pics it's 3 boards joined together.

You can buy a rounded end panel .

Just stick to the wall using silicon.

It's fantastic stuff unless your a **** like me that snapped a board rushing :/ I could of cried.

Ok, thanks.

I'm in a similar position - just about to have our en suite re-done - it was the first thing we did when we moved in 3 years ago and we did it on the cheap and in a rush.

The tiles leaked and they suffered from mould in the corner recesses.

Having read this, the whole sheet 'panel thing' sounds like a good idea.

Glass wall panels no problem of water leaking. Or vitrolite Art Deco walling.

Parents used showerwall i and my dad fitted it with all the correct adheasives and sealants supplied with joint strips etc and some panels have blown. Only been in three years main en-suite was removed and redone with tiles. The other one that's blown isn't as noticeable and is rarely used guest shower,so will remain until it needs replacing. The removed one had not let any water through just the surface had blown up.

There are some good products out now but the surfaces are prone to scratching.

So can some of guys recommend some named boards,as said my son said thry were dear.

But no problems with mold,and easier to clean..

This a Last shot upgrade from bath,if we fluff this,,We will not have money to do it all over again.

RIGHT,,,,there is one Wall at the Side,Length 1200mm,,The end Wall will be 900mm.Shower End..

The opening side is,,1 Fixed panel 6mm Glass,With the Door =1200mm.

The other End is 6mm plain Glass..

Right any idea's on Cost for a Good Job..

Remember,,, No Second Chance..

Thank you in advance..

So can some of guys recommend some named boards,as said my son said thry were dear.

But no problems with mold,and easier to clean..

This a Last shot upgrade from bath,if we fluff this,,We will not have money to do it all over again.

RIGHT,,,,there is one Wall at the Side,Length 1200mm,,The end Wall will be 900mm.Shower End..

The opening side is,,1 Fixed panel 6mm Glass,With the Door =1200mm.

The other End is 6mm plain Glass..

Right any idea's on Cost for a Good Job..

Remember,,, No Second Chance..

Thank you in advance..

Nuance is the top board made by bushboard . As the are 4' wide you'll only need 2 . I'm guessing this is what you mean ?

Price is around £230 a board.

You'll need the proper sealant known as bush board complete. It validates your guarantee.

Sorry if I've misunderstood