Chemical haze sussex

ditchman

This "chemical haze" that has affected people on the coast in Sussex......

the met office said the last lot blew over from France...but this is not the case this time as the wind was wrong and no discharges have been registered.......someone mentions it was a ship "washing its tanks " out.....

It is described as a strong Chlorine smell..................................

is it possible that surplus gas munitions (mustard gas...chlorine based)....were dumped at sea and these are now leaking...and the chlorine...different specific gravity to that of salt water is making its way to the surface in concentrated form................................

it just seems that for and incident such as this ...nobody has any answers........................

the met office said the last lot blew over from France...but this is not the case this time as the wind was wrong and no discharges have been registered.......someone mentions it was a ship "washing its tanks " out.....

is it possible that surplus gas munitions (mustard gas...chlorine based)....were dumped at sea and these are now leaking...and the chlorine...different specific gravity to that of salt water is making its way to the surface in concentrated form................................

it just seems that for and incident such as this ...nobody has any answers........................

Or more lightly they now what it is but prefer not to tell us.

yeah....strange aint it.............................the reason i thought of it ....i was watching some old footage taken at the end of the 2nd world war where they were dumping stuff in the sea thousands of tons of stuff....that i think was inbetween wales and ireland......

That was/ is my thought,

But I see someone has dug up a news report form earlier in the year about a planned chemical attack on a uk beach

We were advised to keep our doors and windows closed in Hastings! There were a few people admitted to hospital with eye and throat irritations, but i think they were from Bexhill, which apparently had it worse. I didn't smell or feel anything and i was on the coast in Hastings in the evening.

Edit; Would the people admitted to Hospital be tested/ have a toxicology? report done?

Edited by silver pigeon69

Mustard gas doesn't smell of chlorine. Its said to smell like onions, garlic, mustard or lilacs.

It's an odd event for sure though.

the RNLI reported a different smell.....a sweet smell like melting plastic !!...............it is bizzare tho'

is this sort of thing happening with some regularity, but it isn't being reported? one afternon about a month ago there was a very odd chemical smell that drifted up from the coast direction on a fairly brisk breeze. This lasted for about half an hour or so. A bloke down the road who had been working out in his garden mentioned it to me so I wasn't imagining it. the smell didn't cause any problem health wise. to me it sort of smelt like a mixture of acetone. some sort of fuel and burnt plastic.I didn't really take a lot of notice of it at the time because it was just an odd smell but it didn't cause any health issue at all. since this episode the other day another person has comented on another occation recently where there was an odd smell on the wind. whatever it was must have been a fair disgharge of something to cover the area as it did. I did wonder if it was either some sort of old munition that had gotten corroded through or some sort of chemical weapon defence test to see how the stuff performs across open countryside. They did test like this with some sort of fungi spores to see how a device on the underground would spread through the tubes.

Edited by fortune

In regards to the incident that I mentioned there isn't any sort of chemical industry or anything that I can think of that would account for the smell or the amount of time / quantity of material that would have caused it. Although we are some miles away from the coast, it is only residential and agricultural. At certain times of the year We sometimes get agricultural cow smells but this wasn't anything like that. It came and went but no one really noticed or commented on it. Now that the flag has been raised, if it happens again more notice and investigation might take place. If the lifeboat had motored out into the channel upwind or an aircraft sent out, it might have found the source of that mist cloud but I don't suppose that it was thought about at the time.