Beans Are Not On The Menu This Year.

marsh man

This year I have seen very few posts on shooting pigeons on Bean stubbles , maybe they are having the same problem as me , devoid of pigeons on there stubbles .

Well why should this be ?, we can normally get a half tidy bag but this year a few came out the wood and had a feed but none joined them from other directions and I knew fully well that after a couple of shots you would clear the wood and very few ( if any ) would come back .

One theory is , ( I am sure there are plenty of others ) is the start and stop in this years harvest and plenty of fresh wheat fields coming up for grabs every other day , the last wheat field on ours was cut Friday so now our harvest is now finished , another Summer will soon be drawing to a close .

I am seeing a good few pigeons feeding on clover late evening despite having a choice of wheat stubbles closeby. I have also seen pigeons on wires over standing beans but as with JDog I am yet to see any harvested beans.

Plenty of young pigeons about so here's hoping!

I have yet to see any beans fields harvested this year.

We only had two fields this year , both were combined around two weeks ago and one is already cultivated and possibly next years crop already put in .

One farm I used to go on grew a lot of beans and he used to bale the bean stalks up to use on his straw burner for his central heating and hot water , and his pea stubble was baled for either cattle feed or bedding in the Winter , waste not / want not .

I looked at field after field of bean stubble today. The floor on every field was covered in beans and not a single pigeon in sight

I always looked forward to shooting bean stubble as it was normally the last crop to be combined , this year was a bit different with the beans cut and the wheat fields next door were still standing .

When we had beans down the marsh the telegraph wires were laden with pigeons once they were cut and we had the added bonus of bales all over the large fields so it was easy to decoy the middle of the fields , what I found then was , the loose beans needed a few days to soften up and then you could shoot them until the first leaf appeared , then we knew the best of the sport was over.