Game of thrones finale

winnie&bezza

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to start at the very beginning.

You're probably right. What worries me is that the things that annoyed me about it weren't what one would normally expect in the light of missing out 6 series and six episodes. Not knowing about all the characters didn't bother me, nor did not engaging with them. It was the dialogue and direction, things that would possibly be consistent throughout? It was staid and unimaginative. With no complexity at all. The scrip was bottled down to the bare minimum of what was needed to convey understanding and nothing more. Nuance, subtlety and depth all seemed pensioned off in place of 90 minutes of stating the blooming obvious, leave just enough time for a sex scene, the odd dragon and a dead chap who'd walked out of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Worth trying with? or just stick to reruns of The West Wing and Yes Minister?

I was bored out of my mind! Possibly shouldn't have started my GoT experience with this episode, but I'm not sure I'd be convinced. each to their own, I guess!

You're probably right. What worries me is that the things that annoyed me about it weren't what one would normally expect in the light of missing out 6 series and six episodes. Not knowing about all the characters didn't bother me, nor did not engaging with them. It was the dialogue and direction, things that would possibly be consistent throughout? It was staid and unimaginative. With no complexity at all. The scrip was bottled down to the bare minimum of what was needed to convey understanding and nothing more. Nuance, subtlety and depth all seemed pensioned off in place of 90 minutes of stating the blooming obvious, leave just enough time for a sex scene, the odd dragon and a dead chap who'd walked out of Pirates of the Caribbean.

It's completely up to you but it is argueably the greatest piece of fantasy fiction ever written. Complex plots and characters who are never black and white. A plot that twists and turns like a snake and in which no character is ever safe from the deadly stab of Martin's pen.

This current season has been somewhat speeded up because it has fewer episodes so that may explain some of your worries. Also we are now past the point of action detailed in the published books and so to some degree are at the mercy of the show's writers rather than GRR Martin himself.

My advice, go back and watch season 1. If you don't like it then fair enough but give it a few episodes at least so that you'll see most of the major characters in action.

It's completely up to you but it is argueably the greatest piece of fantasy fiction ever written. Complex plots and characters who are never black and white. A plot that twists and turns like a snake and in which no character is ever safe from the deadly stab of Martin's pen.

This current season has been somewhat speeded up because it has fewer episodes so that may explain some of your worries. Also we are now past the point of action detailed in the published books and so to some degree are at the mercy of the show's writers rather than GRR Martin himself.

My advice, go back and watch season 1. If you don't like it then fair enough but give it a few episodes at least so that you'll see most of the major characters in action.

Sage advice. Does the early stuff have dragons though? I love a good dragon

Edited by chrisjpainter

Are you SURE you were watching GOT? All the things you describe couldn't be further from the truth. These episodes are some of the best directed TV you'll ever see. The writing and character development is also top drawer. I would start at S1 and give it another try. It took me a few episodes to get it, but then I was hooked. It is without doubt THE best television show ever made. I'll be sad when it's over. Edited by dbob

I never thought I would get into it, but started with series 1 a month ago, and now up to date.

WOW

Epic ....

I particularly enjoy the references to other greats ..... There was some Silence of the Lambs, Star Wars and if the Uncle of the Iron Islands isn't modelled on Lord Flashheart himself .... 100% comedy genius. When he stormed the ship it was begging for an "iiiiiits ME!"

My fear is that the complexity and surprise elements of those early series could get lost in the Great War to come. They've not disappointed so far. ..... fingers crossed.

in my humble opinion how can anyone say there's no/ less comedy in this season!!! the hound had me ******* myself on more than one occasion! Agreed its not the edinborough fringe but it never led anyone to believe it was. i dont believe you can give an accurate synopsis of the programme that has evolved over the last 6-7 years by just watching a few episodes of season 6.

But saying that its not for everyone, each to there own etc

Yeah it without doubt needs to be watched from the beginning.

As others have said the way the characters are developed is superb. People you may hate at the start you end up rooting for a few seasons down the line.

I didn't start watching it until the end of S5 then nailed it in a month. It's a slow start but damn, some episodes are incredible.

I still enjoy it, but I preferred the first 6(?) seasons that were based on the books. Season 7 was written by normal TV writers, and for me, it showed. Much less character development, much quicker progress, some contrived scenes (Jon Snow not just getting on the ******* dragon?!). Still some good bits, but not as good as it was.

Fairly pointless arguing about drama or music as it's a matter of taste. But to say GOT lacks complexity or character development based on the finale of series 7 is laughable.

Compare almost any of the characters from series one (those that are still living) to the most recent series and their motivation, acting and even appearance are completely different.

Just watched the final one, managed to avoid knowing anything thankfully.

I originally watched series one wasn't blown away, read all the books not knowing the story wasn't finished d'oh!

Then watched series6? To see how it followed on from the books, then over time watched the other series I hadn't seen.

It has definitely grown on me, some of the humor isn't as good as earlier in the show but once you know or think you know how the characters work its much better if slow sometimes.

I made the missus watch the battle scene with the dragon kicking butt, thought that was really well done, they should have left us thinking Jamie Lannister was dead at the hands of his sister I actually thought she wasn't going to stab them in the back for once!!

And finally little finger getting fingered, about time but not as good as how Bolton bought the farm.

What to watch now???

What to watch now???

Preacher, American gods, Hand of God, Sneaky Pete, Dexter

I never thought there would be a series to Beat DEXTER or BREAKING BAD but the last season of GOT has blown me away, I love it!! Perhaps I have a more twisted sense of Humour than the average person on here , but the Hound has me in stitches, and I heartily chuckled when Little finger got slashed, though I think he should have been made to suffer more. I feel a white walker dragon tattoo coming on!!!

I also thought it funny the final scenes that John Snow was ******* his Auntie !!!!!!