Being spotted!!!

JD140

I've had my net for twenty plus years and up until recently it has appeared to perform quite well, however, recently I seem to get spotted quite a lot and pigeons flare off. I always ensure I have a good background, don't fidget around in the hide and generally keep myself as concealed as possible. The net is getting a little tatty and has a few rips here and there, trouble is there's so much kit out there I don't have a clue where to start.

If anyone has bought a new net lately and can offer any guidance I'd be grateful!!

Are you sure its you they are seeing, the last 4 times out on stubble I have started with the magnet out, but the birds will not come in range when its spinning, but as soon as I take it in and put out two flappers they come in and land among the decoys, I tend to set up with wind either left to right or right to left, this brings birds in from the side across the decoys and not directly in towards the hide, this way the hide is out of their normal vision as they approach and they seem to be far more confident ,also less chance of them seeing the movement as you bring the gun into a firing position. works for me anyway, hope you sort it ok, :hmm::hmm:

PS: all my nets are the cut nylon type 2 dark green,2 mid green, 1 mixed brown and green and 1 two tone brown, I use whatever blends best with the background, all bought from ebay, some from china and some from uk local supplier. average cost per net 1.5 x 4 metres is around £15

Edited by lakeside1000

Are you sure its you they are seeing, the last 4 times out on stubble I have started with the magnet out, but the birds will not come in range when its spinning, but as soon as I take it in and put out two flappers they come in and land among the decoys, I tend to set up with wind either left to right or right to left, this brings birds in from the side across the decoys and not directly in towards the hide, this way the hide is out of their normal vision as they approach and they seem to be far more confident ,also less chance of them seeing the movement as you bring the gun into a firing position. works for me anyway, hope you sort it ok, :hmm::hmm:

PS: all my nets are the cut nylon type 2 dark green,2 mid green, 1 mixed brown and green and 1 two tone brown, I use whatever blends best with the background, all bought from ebay, some from china and some from uk local supplier. average cost per net 1.5 x 4 metres is around £15

This,word for word. :yes:

Yes I'm pretty sure it's me they're seeing. I have tried using/not using the magnet as it did occur to me this may be the cause. I don't always set up with the wind at my back, quite often I have it (as you suggest) left to right or right to left. Think I'll trawl the net now and try to find a decent new net, trouble is with all the 'ghost' and 'stealth' (none of which I really know what it is) it's hard to know what to plumb for!!

Have you recently washed it in fancy modern washing powder?

I believe they have stuff in that enhances UV and birds can see it. (might be talking codswallop)

Funny you should say this as a friend was telling me his camp jacket has been ruined by his wife washing it in biological powder, but in answer to your question I have never washed my net. Pity, as that would at least give me something to blame it on!!!

Just get a piece of hessian sacking to place behind,attached to,your old net,,,,dye it green if you like. It worked for me and it costs nothing if you can beg an old sack.

hello, same as above but i use that camo hide see through netting about 4ft long tied on in front of me on the 12 ft long como net, so its 4ft net 4 ft double 4ft net

I have bought some of this recently which seems to blend in well, early days but looking good so far.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5MTR-3ply-STEALTH-GHOST-CAMO-NET-PIGEON-HIDE-SHOOTING-DECOYING-elitehunters/162605639976?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Phil

I use this also, its a bit difficult to see through so I took (well mrs MM did) 12" off the top and put on 12" of clear view netting, does the job.

I got 2 stealth nets. A darker green one that reminds me of the old dpm pattern and a lighter harvest one. They were about 20 quid each 8 years ago and are as good as new. Fit whatever background I've come across and are quite light also.

I double them up but only have one nearer the top so I can see through. I don't need to double the up but it's habit now.

Also a cap. You won't need a massive cap from the comedy cap store that jdog has but a cap never the less to hide your forehead.