New pup.. advice

Hi all,

Got a cocker pup 5 days ago, nice little strong dog hes 13 weeks. Viewed some 8 weeks pups too but they wouldn't move even in their kennel they were so nervous so got something older and bold, he was biggest in the litter. Got him sitting on command quickly and responding to his name but constantly fun nothing serious.. hes been experiencing the world doing all different things.

Hes retrieving a tennis ball nicely and his toys. Its got me worried as a friend has said don't give him any toys or balls as it won't help when you train him later on, and therefore to only give him a toy in the future when you want to train him..

Surely as a pup he should be allowed a toy box full of teddies!?!

I posted on a Facebook group for advice and got loads of comments like 'go get a lab, your regret it you didn't soon'.. so thought some more level headed people may be on here instead!

Picture below - at a new walk so he looks unsure!

Cheers

Edited by Pigeonshooter22

I am no expert but my cocker bitch was allowed to play with balls and anything else when she was a pup. She is still obsessed with a ball therefore it is a useful reward for training. She will run in to a ball all day but is steady to dummies feather and fur. I believe a pup (or indeed an adult dog) should have time to play as during that playtime you get to interact with the pup.

As I say I am no expert just putting my two peneth out there

Take no notice and let the pup play with its toys as long as you train the dog a little at a time all will be good

My springer is now 7 month old unbelievable forward with his training but still allowed to play with his toy's at home good luck with it a picture would be nice

I have a 2 year old springer .and he plays with balls etc .

But the one thing I would always advise is .its YOUR ball and he can play fetch and find when you want him to .and it always ends on your terms with you holding your ball and the dead command at the end .after he hears dead he doesnt get it back in that session ..

Control his food .and his ball .

He can have his chew , bone , toy etc in his basket .

Never alowed up stairs and follows you through doors never leads .

23jopx1.jpg

I have a 2 year old springer .and he plays with balls etc .
But the one thing I would always advise is .its YOUR ball and he can play fetch and find when you want him to .and it always ends on your terms with you holding your ball and the dead command at the end .after he hears dead he doesnt get it back in that session ..
Control his food .and his ball .
He can have his chew , bone , toy etc in his basket .
Never alowed up stairs and follows you through doors never leads .

Thats exactly what we do - we play with the ball and he always brings it back, sits and then we put it away so he only plays for 10 minutes a day but its a little bit of retrieve fun.

Can i ask why you say to never allow him upstairs? Our lab comes up stairs so we can't really allow one without the other, try our best to carry him up and down though as of his joints.

Edited by Pigeonshooter22

A friend of mine has airport security dogs.

They always REWARD WITH A BALL..?.

Mine always had their own toys,,not door jams or furniture.

Bind the dog to you with love,not a kicking...

They get to know when work time comes,but also when playtime is..

Training,Keep it short,or,He will get fed up..

He is very young for anything too serious.

Best of luck anyway..

I dont let my dog up stairs for 2 reasons .

1 i don't want dog hairs, fleas , slobber toys etc where I or my wife and kids sleep .

And 2 more importantly he has to know his boundaries and the stairs are one of them .

I belive that a dog should be treated like a dog and not a human .if you do treat them as a human you confuse and upset them .and then you have a problem dog .

(When I say treat them like a dog .I mean give them all the exercise discipline and affection a dog needs )

But most of all give them a pourpse. (For me it's retrieving in the field ie gun dog )

And he /she will be happy and content .

I can probably count the number of times he has barked in his life on my fingers .

My cocker has free run of the house, I have no choice as she shadows me everywhere. She sleeps in her crate at my side of the bed and comes on the bed for a nap at 6-15am when we have a morning brew.

Each to there own.

Sounds like mine, hes suppose to sleep downstairs but last night he slept half the night under my covers in my bed.. as soon as he started fidgeting he went downstairs though. I can't believe what he done yesterday, let him come in the shower (daily thing that has happened for a week since having him) well yesterday he decided he would jump in the shower with me! I put him straight out thinking he jumped in not knowing, he jumped straight back in! He needed a bath but at 10pm it wasn't ideal, but the baby shampoo was there and he was soaked so gave him a bath and he absolutely loved it.. got out with me, gave him a rub with the old towel and he was loving it. Never have any of my dogs done that before!

I dont let my dog up stairs for 2 reasons .

1 i don't want dog hairs, fleas , slobber toys etc where I or my wife and kids sleep .

And 2 more importantly he has to know his boundaries and the stairs are one of them .

I belive that a dog should be treated like a dog and not a human .if you do treat them as a human you confuse and upset them .and then you have a problem dog .

(When I say treat them like a dog .I mean give them all the exercise discipline and affection a dog needs )

But most of all give them a pourpse. (For me it's retrieving in the field ie gun dog )

And he /she will be happy and content .

I can probably count the number of times he has barked in his life on my fingers .

Thats fair enough. Everyone is different, we don't treat our dogs like humans, but we do we treat ours like members of the family. He comes upstairs but stays in the conservatory at night on his own, mind i don't mind him laying on the bed before going downstairs to bed. I do agree though, they have to know right from wrong! I know so many dogs who can't work out life due to how they're treated.

Ha, so similar to mine. She will and has jumped in the bath given half the chance so we have to be very vigilante keeping the door closed whilst running hot water.

Our slept in crate in kitchen when younger (now 3) she went wild with excitement when you let her out in the morning. She cut her pad at about 15mth and we had to put crate in bedroom in case she chewed her dressing. She was happier and calmer we had an extra hours sleep so she remains in our bedroom. We all do what works for us and for our dog, there is Imo no right or wrong way 👍

Ps

He is adorable 👍

Ha, so similar to mine. She will and has jumped in the bath given half the chance so we have to be very vigilante keeping the door closed whilst running hot water.

Our slept in crate in kitchen when younger (now 3) she went wild with excitement when you let her out in the morning. She cut her pad at about 15mth and we had to put crate in bedroom in case she chewed her dressing. She was happier and calmer we had an extra hours sleep so she remains in our bedroom. We all do what works for us and for our dog, there is Imo no right or wrong way

Ps

He is adorable

Thank you. Hes a good boy! I think he'd do the same! The shower water wasn't to hot thankfully, hes 8kg already at nearly 14 weeks so thinking he'll get to 15kg ish which is big for a cocker. What does yours weigh?

ips, pigeonshooter22 and Ultrastu

All great looking dogs. Just don't rush them.

My dog Jasper, a Sprocker is now just four years old. He didn't come out with me until he was 18 months old, then he was allowed very few retrieves. Even now I sit him outside the hide and pick birds myself so he knows that he is not entitled to retrieve every bird.

Nice looking dog

Best to remember there all different some faster than others

Comparing is not always good

Mine go upstairs

Dog always sleeps between me and the open door

Unless

I have guests staying then (his choice) he sleeps at the top of the stairs

Thinking he's just doing his job

Best of luck with the new pup

All the best

Of

I Love these pup training threads,you get to see some cracking young dogs.

More of the pooch pictures please..

Not trying to HIJACK,But stories come with these beautiful pups..

Well Done all.

Happy to help.

Took him for a walk for the first time last night, he didn't want to go but wanted to come back so took him out with one of the others.

He soon wanted to go.

post-64354-0-27518300-1504254213_thumb.jpg

I Love these pup training threads,you get to see some cracking young dogs.

More of the pooch pictures please..

Not trying to HIJACK,But stories come with these beautiful pups..

Well Done all.

14eaqt0.jpg

His first holiday in Cornwall, only had him a week and he was one of the only dogs (out of 3) on the beach of about 10 that were off the lead. Can't believe how many can't let their dogs off as they don't come back. Hopefully he stays loyal and doesn't start running off.. he liked to eat seaweed though.

Hes mastered sit (had him 2 weeks) and just starting to master the word stay, getting further and further away daily!

14eaqt0.jpg

His first holiday in Cornwall, only had him a week and he was one of the only dogs (out of 3) on the beach of about 10 that were off the lead. Can't believe how many can't let their dogs off as they don't come back. Hopefully he stays loyal and doesn't start running off.. he liked to eat seaweed though.

Hes mastered sit (had him 2 weeks) and just starting to master the word stay, getting further and further away daily!

Fine looking pup, don't be in too much of a rush - they don't really master anything until they're 6 months plus, but condition and stimulate the pup to want to be with you and work and the rest will come. I've got one here nearly 6 months that knows it's name and sit, that's about it but it wants to be with me all the time.

Fine looking pup, don't be in too much of a rush - they don't really master anything until they're 6 months plus, but condition and stimulate the pup to want to be with you and work and the rest will come. I've got one here nearly 6 months that knows it's name and sit, that's about it but it wants to be with me all the time.

Thanks all, really appreciate the comments. Hes only doing sit and stay, I've just introduced the whistle for recall as he started to ignore me when at a distance sniffing but he comes back instantly to the whistle. Hes 15/16 weeks now. Unsure what colour he'll end up.. would love him to stay dark, but dark red or a lighter apricot i'm not sure?