which crossover

Mossyoak77

Hello All,

I will be in the market next year for a crossover type car as Im looking for the higher ride height but cant afford to run a proper 4x4 :lol:

I would have a proper 4x4 in a heartbeat or even a pickup truck.

Currently driving a vw golf 1.6 tdi, Was looking at the Kia Sportage, Hyundai IX35 and the Ford Kuga around 2013/2014 Reg Models,

Which is a good one ? do any of you own the above, currently drive about 50 miles a day to work and back mainly motorway miles so really need 40+ mpg

Kia and Hyundia are good but i look after a couple of 8 year old ones and the bolts are made of cheese (very soft cheese at that) as corrosion is starting a lot of bolts end up snapped or stripped .I would soak the whole car in waxoyl if they were mine .

Cant comment on Fords

The older Ravs and Honda CRV were good (too good would have put me out of business)

What about an X Trail these seem user friendly and we service a couple with no major probs

• 2 months later...

I've recently purchased a 64 plate as I drive them daily in work. Around the doors you get around 35-37mpg and on a run 43-45mpg, mine is the 163bhp model with intelligent 4wd. I've taken the work ones quite a few places off road and have all handles superbly. Took mine on amsoft sand no so long back and even with road tyres and it weighing over two tonne, it didn't slip at all.

I purchased it for use with shooting and hopefully to tow launch/retrieve a boat from the shore. I don't doubt its capability one bit. The only thing I can say is it's not the quickest. But my other car is a low slung pretty powerful Alfa Romeo so it's not going to.

If you like your gadgets then go for one with sync 1.1 which is some of the 64 plates and upwards as you can install apps to the car like Spotify etc

Forgot to say mines a kuga.

I have a Toyota Rav4, seven years old, I bought it four years ago, 97000 miles serviced every 10000 miles. Only problem was a broken rear anti roll bar link and a pair of discs of the front and new pads all round. Mpg is about 47-50 a gallon. I would also recommend Barum 4x4 tyres good grip and excellent tyre life.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife runs a 64 plate 4x4  ix35, absolutely no issues at all with it , I have used it for shooting a couple of times and it was fine on rough tracks and soft grass, she gets well over 40 mpg and she doesn't hang around, does a 56 mile round trip to work and back and loads of motorway miles. Her friend runs a Qashqai and can't wait to get rid had a load of problems and it feels really under powered she said. Another friend runs a Mazda cx 5 and loves it , feels well built and comfortable , the Kia is just a Hyundai in different body panels as they are the same  company.

S

Run a 10 plate Sportage the 150hp version ,tows our 23 ft caravan happily ,works very well in muddy soggy fields and has good 45/48mpg on a run .Not a bad all rounder,no i wont be going across the sahara in it but gets me to my permission and around it no dramas and scrubs up nice so er indoors can pretend it,s a chelsea trackterr as she puts it 

I had a hyundai tuscan for a few months last year and was pleasantly surprised but it. Nothing in particular stood out about it it just seemed to do everything well. I also jumped in the company's IX35 which has over 100,000 miles on the clock and it drove like new and went quite well. I would have no hesitation buying either.

I have a 2013 BMW X3 2.0d (184bhp), I'll definitely consider buying another one, but BMW has decided that they didn't like 'colors' for their new range. You get a few shares of boring colors, that's it.

X3 does *for real* 50+ mpg on a 200 miles journey, with a few spirited overtakes in it -- it's very comfortable and it still reasonably good offroad (within limits, of course)

Edited by buze

7 hours ago, WinchesterDave said:

Vw Tiguan? 

Dave :good:

NO.

had the 4 motion auto for 2 years, 30mpg+, thought it was really good, it was, on dry stubble fields, and farm tracks, been on some boggy fields thought it performed well, until I went on a shoot, the parking for one drive was on the side of the lane, nearside wheels off tarmac, the offside wheels on, would not budge, nearside wheels spinning,  had to be pushed on to the lane, do not rate the haldex system at all, when you need proper 4 wheel drive there is no substitute, 

VW slapped me on its second service for new rear discs and pads due to rust, less than 20k miles and less than 2 years old, would never have another

1 hour ago, itchy trigger said:

NO.

had the 4 motion auto for 2 years, 30mpg+, thought it was really good, it was, on dry stubble fields, and farm tracks, been on some boggy fields thought it performed well, until I went on a shoot, the parking for one drive was on the side of the lane, nearside wheels off tarmac, the offside wheels on, would not budge, nearside wheels spinning,  had to be pushed on to the lane, do not rate the haldex system at all, when you need proper 4 wheel drive there is no substitute, 

VW slapped me on its second service for new rear discs and pads due to rust, less than 20k miles and less than 2 years old, would never have another

Fair enough mate! Arent all crossovers haldex?