Queensferry Crossing

Stonepark

The anomaly doesn't end there; England (especially SE England) overwhelmingly votes Tory. The poorer regions and countries do not. Best guess is that the City will continue to be a financial powerhouse - just as it was before the EU was invented. It will be interesting to see how the Eurozone copes with losing the UK's contribution (16 per cent of total) at a time when it faces political strains due to uncontrolled immigration and the inevitable need to bail out Greece again.

It is a wonder that London and the South East has not declared a Unilateral Declaration of Independence from the rest of the UK.

I've been saying for decades, that I'd LOVE to see such a move, as long as London & the South East was managed 100% by people born in that specific geographical area.

Not born there? = NO right to live/work there.

It'd be hilarious

Slightly off topic but I am in Edinburgh today and will be getting on a tram in an hour to go to the airport. How the mighty have fallen. When employed I would have got a cab and expensed it. Now running my own company it's whatever is the cheapest!

That would be the bus that's about £1.20 and not much slower than the tram.

The tram's £6.50 or something ridiculous.

I think the important point here is that the new bridge was bought and paid for by the Scottish Government. It has been delivered considerably under budget unlike the Edinburgh trams. It is an essential part of our infrustructure. What is there not to like?

"paid for by the Scottish Government", plus the extra money we got from Westminster for infrastructure a couple of years ago, plus the £9Bn a year we get from the r-UK.

"What's not to like". It's not really needed now they've stopped the old bridge wires corroding, though they didn't know what when they kicked the project off.

Also it's a motorway so learners/ mopeds etc have to drive all the way to Kincardine to go north still. :/

"paid for by the Scottish Government", plus the extra money we got from Westminster for infrastructure a couple of years ago, plus the £9Bn a year we get from the r-UK.

"What's not to like". It's not really needed now they've stopped the old bridge wires corroding, though they didn't know what when they kicked the project off.

Also it's a motorway so learners/ mopeds etc have to drive all the way to Kincardine to go north still. :/

The world is full of naysayers. For Christ sake

The world is full of naysayers. For Christ sake

Don't get me wrong, as an engineer I think it's absolutely fantastic. :yes:

If you see the three bridges side by side it's a real demonstration of the advances in bridge design as each one is more elegant then its predecessor.

The new one is absolutely beautiful, and they can remove and replace individual cables, so as long as the towers last it can be re-surfaced and

'restrung'. It's also got modern designed wind deflectors so it can stay open with _much_ stonger winds than the middle one.

However we need to be realistic about how it was funded. Just like the original Forth bridge it was paid for from all over the UK

and built by a multinational workforce. Those eejits driving over it in comvoys with saltires are just a bunch of fannies. :rolleyes:

Edited by Nial

Only during maintenance closures and high winds, as the old bridge is in service :yes:

Don't get me wrong, as an engineer I think it's absolutely fantastic. :yes:

If you see the three bridges side by side it's a real demonstration of the advances in bridge design as each one is more elegant then its predecessor.

The new one is absolutely beautiful, and they can remove and replace individual cables, so as long as the towers last it can be re-surfaced and

'restrung'. It's also got modern designed wind deflectors so it can stay open with _much_ stonger winds than the middle one.

However we need to be realistic about how it was funded. Just like the original Forth bridge it was paid for from all over the UK

and built by a multinational workforce. Those eejits driving over it in comvoys with saltires are just a bunch of fannies. :rolleyes:

Sorry, it wasn't. Had it been funded "from all over the UK" it would have been up and running 4 years ago. Scotland had to find the money, the only thing on offer was a PFI deal, from the last labour administration.

Because of these Anoraks that want to walk over the bridge there parking them at the vida in Dunfermline so there's going to be no football teams playing all weekend , then the dual carriageway to Rosyth and the bridge is down to a single lane and a 30mph speed limit *** why dont we just take Dunfermline off the map for the weekend how did the council agree to that

Because of these Anoraks that want to walk over the bridge there parking them at the vida in Dunfermline so there's going to be no football teams playing all weekend , then the dual carriageway to Rosyth and the bridge is down to a single lane and a 30mph speed limit *** why dont we just take Dunfermline off the map for the weekend how did the council agree to that

Our glorious leader would have mandated it !

The restrictions on the old bridge are bewildering, but then again I see the new bridge as a functional bit of roadway and not some illustrious piece of triumphalism. It does have an aesthetically pleasing design and i can appreciate the engineering and technical skill in the construction, but it is a road bridge.

Went to Glenrothes and passed the vida on the way to the motor way , they have parked the cars over all the football pitches i hope it dont rain . there queued from the vida to the golf club maybe a mile and the inside lane of the dual carriage way thats coned off has queues of double decker buses it starts from 08.00 till 20.30 sat/sun and then school kids on monday till 11.30 till the queen opens it apparently coming home there where three speed traps in the 30 zone and police had a car in each of them a profitable day for fife council

The step-son was the only one of us to get picked & do the crossing today
No feedback from him, though his mum spotted a memorable crash after dropping him at the bus park&ride spot....a car & animal trailer flipped upside-down on the motorway & about 6 fire engines were attending

From what swmbo said about the event & the TV coverage there were a metric **** ton of folk in special jackets helping direct people, so another high paying outlay from some bottomless pit!
Not sure WHAT directions they would have been giving out -
"Walk to the far side, turn around & come back...."
"See the bridge? Aye?? Good - follow them other 12,000 numpties..."