XTrail - window fogging

Bumble

Hi gents,

Got a bit of a puzzling one with my Xtrail (2003 diesel). It's started really severely fogging up in rain/damp conditions, but won't demist, even with the blower on full. If anything, this makes it worse, and I can't see a bloody thing.

It also seems like the mist itself, especially when the blower is on, is a bit greasy & has a slight sheen to it, (but that just may be due to how grotty my car is).

Any ideas? It's proving itself to be somewhat dangerous when it starts to rain!

Hi gents,

Got a bit of a puzzling one with my Xtrail (2003 diesel). It's started really severely fogging up in rain/damp conditions, but won't demist, even with the blower on full. If anything, this makes it worse, and I can't see a bloody thing.

It also seems like the mist itself, especially when the blower is on, is a bit greasy & has a slight sheen to it, (but that just may be due to how grotty my car is).

Have you tried putting the aircon on the aircon blows cold dry air while the heater will blow damp worm air it worked for me on my 2003 X-trail diesel

Hi gents,

Sounds like you have water getting in somewhere. Cars always mist up when the inside is damp.

Lift as much of the carpets as poss and just have a good look and feel around for damp

Have you tried putting the aircon on the aircon blows cold dry air while the heater will blow damp worm air it worked for me on my 2003 X-trail diesel

The aircon is shagged, needs regassing I think. I'll get it done & see if it helps.

And I've not found any damp, but surely it'd do it all the time if it was full of moisture, not just when it's raining outside?

Pollen filter as already said- made a big difference on our 2003 x trail.

But if your aircons not working that would prob be the cause, they are dehumidifiers.

Although being a big glassy motor with **** thin panels and insulation - always expect a ceratin ammout of misting on wimdows.

I would expect all those symptoms with a leaky heater rad, especially the sheen bit.

Do you mean the heater core? (I'm a bit useless with cars...)

Edit: just found this. Is this what you mean? http://www.autoupkeep.com/auto-repair-qa/cooling-system-and-climate-control/heater-core-leak-windshield-residue/

Edited by Bumble

Had the same issue on a Punto, as you say a greasy film on the screen and no hope of demisting, the giveaway was damp on the carpet under the

heater matrix.

Crumbled a Bar seal pellet into the expansion bottle and it stopped the leak but be aware that leak sealers can totally clog a heater matrix

with very fine waterways atb Steve.

Had the same issue on a Punto, as you say a greasy film on the screen and no hope of demisting, the giveaway was damp on the carpet under the

heater matrix.

Crumbled a Bar seal pellet into the expansion bottle and it stopped the leak but be aware that leak sealers can totally clog a heater matrix

with very fine waterways atb Steve.

Does that include Steel Seal? I used that on the wife's Clio with a leaky head gasket, it worked a treat.

Do you mean the heater core? (I'm a bit useless with cars...)

Edit: just found this. Is this what you mean? http://www.autoupkeep.com/auto-repair-qa/cooling-system-and-climate-control/heater-core-leak-windshield-residue/

Yes.

Keep an eye on your coolant levels, it sounds like you are losing some and can be very expensive if you run the engine too dry.

K-seal is the best "rad-weld" type of repair when I looked into such things. I have a tractor with a cracked block that was cured with K-seal years ago and still OK.

Better to have the heater core fixed properly but that will cost you.

I haven't replaced a heater matrix lately but I would expect the parts to be cheap but the job will be a nightmare.

Usually they are fitted somewhere under the depths of the front dash.

Getting to it is the hard part which is why many folk just bypass it and do without the heater altogether. Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Cheers mate, I'll get it checked out today. I've found a replacement matrix on eBay for £20, so shall get it changed over.

It says this is for the evaporator which is AC but it shows what you are up against. (unless the heater is in the engine bay but i doubt it)

It says this is for the evaporator which is AC but it shows what you are up against. (unless the heater is in the engine bay but i doubt it)

Jesus wept!! It's behind the dash, had a look earlier and the pipes for it go through the bulkhead. I'll have a chat with my neighbour who's very handy with the spanners and work out if it's worth the hassle or whether I can put up with being cold.

You must also bear in mind that the guy in the vid has obviously done that many times.

If you do it reckon on snapping off 50% of the plastic tabs during disassembly (if you are lucky),

most of the special plastic fixings will also need replacing and the very last bit to come off will require a special socket only available from Nissan and takes 6 weeks to arrive from Japan and costs twice as much as the car is worth.

Have actually diagnosed it as the heater matrix. Cars leak in everywhere, door seals, sunroof, windscreen, sunroofs, body bungs in the lowest points,rain water gutter drains,etc. Park your car in a garage- undercover and stick a household dehumidifier in it and see how much water it sucks out.

Are you from Birmingham?

Herefordshire. Close enough to gain their engineering knowledge, far enough away so that I don't talk like I'm retarded.

And I've had it running today and it definitely stinks of antifreeze. I'll get the neighbour to have a peek to confirm on the weekend.