"volunteer" crop.

Cranfield

Its that time when the volunteer crop is appearing and as usual (in my area), the birds are showing little, or no interest.

One large field(I don't shoot) had vining peas for seed in it this year and from the day it was drilled, until the day it was harvested, it had pigeons and corvids all over it.

Now the volunteer crop is appearing and the field is green again and there is not a bird in sight.

Its the same with the volunteer rape thats appearing now the stubbles have been disced, no pigeon interest at all.

There is some wheat stubble untouched which is attracting a few birds, but most seem to be looking for clover and some dropping into standing beans.

When you think that the volunteer crop is only spilled seed growing again, what makes it so different from the original seed that was so attractive in the Spring ?

huh !.............im driving the newly sown rape fields at the moment...rape is about 1/4" high....birds are dropping on to it.....yet on the other side of the road is another rape field....

..."volunteer" from harvest...8" high...........not a bird to be seen and no slugs / pellets/ flea beetle....... :lol:

huh !.............im driving the newly sown rape fields at the moment...rape is about 1/4" high....birds are dropping on to it.....yet on the other side of the road is another rape field....

..."volunteer" from harvest...8" high...........not a bird to be seen and no slugs / pellets/ flea beetle....... :lol:

I would imagine the newly sown fields could have some remains of the harvested crop on them.

Edited by motty

I would imagine the newly sown fields could have some remains of the harvested crop on them.

must be .....it was barley previous to the sown rape .....ploughed well buried....disced ...drilled and compacted.....no brash nothing 'cept the soil...and slug pellets......yet on the other side of the road....good crop of volunteered rape and all the weeds seedling you can think of.........not a bird...