help me out with some advise

jagoisboss

hi guys :) i just need a bit of advice, i have a .22 hatsan striker 1000s. i shoot pigeons normally and i am having a bit of trouble killing them i have a good shot and i am hitting them either in the neck or head and do not seem to be killing them. they either need to have another shot to kill them or they fly off. i have tried using a couple of different pellets but it dose not seem to make a difference. i was looking on some advise on what pellets to use or just any more advice i can get.

thank you and i will appreciate any advice you have got.

Certainly a neck shot is a NO NO !! 99% chance you will just punch a hole through one of the pipes for the pigeon to fly away and die a very slow death. A solid headshot on a pigeon out to 35yrds should put it down. I use Exact Diablo 8.44gr 177s as advised and they kill cleanly both body and head from my TX200.Taking a head shot you need patience and wait for that perfect picture, sideways on, static.

Certainly a neck shot is a NO NO !! 99% chance you will just punch a hole through one of the pipes for the pigeon to fly away and die a very slow death. A solid headshot on a pigeon out to 35yrds should put it down. I use Exact Diablo 8.44gr 177s as advised and they kill cleanly both body and head from my TX200.Taking a head shot you need patience and wait for that perfect picture, sideways on, stati

thank for the advice walker

I'd get a piece of A4 and draw round a 20p piece. At 30/35 metres take 5 shots .. all pellets should be within the circle drawn .. If not, don't shoot live quarry! ...

If your not consistent for whatever reason, its the time to find out what's wrong before you go hunting again .. Shooter/Rifle/Pellet/Scope/Weather conditions etc all could be the problem .. best practice on A4 paper and fine tune things .. Cheers

I'd get a piece of A4 and draw round a 20p piece. At 30/35 metres take 5 shots .. all pellets should be within the circle drawn .. If not, don't shoot live quarry! ...

If your not consistent for whatever reason, its the time to find out what's wrong before you go hunting again .. Shooter/Rifle/Pellet/Scope/Weather conditions etc all could be the problem .. best practice on A4 paper and fine tune things .. Cheers

And, added to that, check that you're comfortable with your angles. If you're shooting up at targets in trees or on buildings and wires, your aim point will change. Get confident in shooting in your required position - not where everything is stacked in your favour (wind, angle, daylight shooting position etc.)

Let us know how you get on mate

The OP is using a .22 so recommending 177 pellets wont help. I recommend AA DFs @ 16Gn. More importantly place shots to the heart/lungs for birds. Leave the headshots to squirrels and rabbits.

And your Hatsan is a springer? Definitely keep to body shots and 25 yard max.

My 97k running at around 10.6ftlbs will drop pidgin and corvids all day long out to 30 yards with .22 AADF.

As said it's all about accuracy and positivity, if you are afraid your going to fluff a shot youre more likely to.

Have you done much live shooting? The anticipation and excitement can also effect pellet placement.

Try and stay calm and slow your heart beat, get into the habit of shooting in between your beats.

0.1 mm in your chest equates to 3.5 mm at 35 m, that's the difference between a clean kill and a puff of feathers as the bird exits stage left.

Take body shots you have more chance of hitting vitals. A .22 will cause some internal trauma and not pass through. Very rarely do I take headshots as the flapping around scares the others away for longer. Heart and lung shots they tend to fall without little or no flapping.