new Browser suggestions.

Cranfield

I have used Mozilla Firefox for years, with a brief break trying Google Chrome when it first came out, but went back to Firefox.

For the last couple of months I have been getting too many occasions of, "not responding" issues.

I have tried all the usual remedies, but nothing works, so I am looking to move.

Any personal recommendations of an alternative browser would be appreciated, I would rather not go to Chrome, as I found it quite intrusive when I first used it, although it might have changed.

I use nightly (the firefox beta tester) and have very few issues.

I suspect if you are getting a program not responding message, it is your computer, not the programme.

When was the last time hard disk was defragged, start up options minimised and registry cleaned?

Edited by Stonepark

I used to use Firefox but after similar issue and for one reason or another i gravitated towards Opera. It has a built in ad blocker you can switch on and off page dependent using a toggle switch on the address bar.

I also use Internet explorer still as some website will not function properly on Opera (or firefox occasionally)

I agree that Firefox has become 'cumbersome' recently (I use Firefox on a Mac) but have found that much of the problem was the 'AdBlock Plus' that I use. This works very well on some pages, but poorly leading to memory hogging on others. Running Firefox without an ad blocker causes lots of pop-ups and uses far more bandwidth because the wretched adds now nearly all use video ........ which I hate with a vengance!

So - to date I have used Firefox (with it's AdBlock Plus) for most things, but Safari (the Mac 'standard' browser) where the AdBlock Plus hogs memory.

It isn't ideal, but does enable to to avoid the adds where they are slowing things down by being shown (use Firefox) - and 'live with' the adds where they seems to clog Firefox (use Safari).

What interests me is whether some add designers have specifically engineered their adds to clog up add blockers?

My PC has Win7 and I have CCleanerPro installed, which cleans my PC every night.

So I have no cache/disc defragging/startup options , or Registry issues, these are the first things I looked at.

There are quite a few comments around the Internet regarding this Firefox problem, also the fact it doesn't work with SkyGo (Sky's fault I think) is a nuisance.

I do have AdBlockPlus as a Firefox AddOn and I didn't realise that could cause issues.

I can't imagine not having an adblocker, as I agree the popups are getting worse.

For the last couple of months I have been getting too many occasions of, "not responding" issues.

I have tried all the usual remedies, but nothing works, so I am looking to move.

I had the same issues months back with FF & swapped to Palemoon,

it has come from the Firefox code but has been optimized & iMO runs smoother.

https://www.palemoon.org/

Adblock plus is no good anymore...

uBlock Origin is the one i use now on firefox easy on cpu and memory...

Give it a try and see if it helps...

I have just tried this - and it does seem to work very well - and with no memory hogging (so far anyway). Thanks for the suggestion.

Further endorsement for UBlock Origin in place of AdBlockPlus, things seem to be happening a lot faster on my browser and Firefox hasn't "hung" once since I installed it.

Thanks Turmoil :good:

Same for me after 4 days trial. Much lighter and faster than AdBlock Plus, and seems to do just as good a job.

My PC has Win7 and I have CCleanerPro installed, which cleans my PC every night.

So I have no cache/disc defragging/startup options , or Registry issues, these are the first things I looked at.

There are quite a few comments around the Internet regarding this Firefox problem, also the fact it doesn't work with SkyGo (Sky's fault I think) is a nuisance.

I do have AdBlockPlus as a Firefox AddOn and I didn't realise that could cause issues.

I can't imagine not having an adblocker, as I agree the popups are getting worse.

I'm using chrome, I had adblock plus installed, now removed and just have the standard adblock installed. Stopped the problems with pages loading. Don,t think adblock plus likes chrome.

Adblock seemed to go downhill when they started allowing paid ads via a white list, regardless whether the paid ads are a good or bad thing, every time an advert tries to work on the website adblock goes away and checks to see if it's on their white list, this overhead is probably what's causing the issues (especially with some pages that seem to be mainly adverts)