Pitting in chrome barrel...

Gunnut

Went too buy a new Beretta auto last year, from a well known Essex gun shop, quite a few on display, and spotted a second hand beretta auto with special wood,it had a few dings but that was to be expected, but it looked great and at half the price of a new one I thought it a good buy. After a few outings, I decided to give it a strip down, and give it a good clean, on cleaning the barrel I noticed, what I thought were lead deposits, near the action end, didn't think much more about it till I mentioned it too another Essex gun shop, and he said it must be lead has all Beretta barrels are chrome lined, but said bring it in and I will take a look, next time your passing. So a few weeks later I took it in, he took it into his work shop, came out and said, the barrel was pitted, it must have been used on the foreshore. Looking back I should have had the dealer strip it down for me, has this was my first auto and I didn't have a clue at the time, the last dealer said it was safe and no problem, but I would like to hear from you guys, do you think I have anything to worry about safety wise, and how about resale value, would it be a lot less, owing to this pitting...

Hi GN,

Resale value yes,if it is not too bad,I suggest you take it to a gunsmith,proper one..

He should be able to get it out before it becomes any worse..

That will then put the Resale Value Back up..

If you Leave it,,,it will get worse. If you like the gun and get on with it,Have it done.

It will not be very expensive. It would have to be pretty bad to make it dangerous.

If it just looks like fouling,Nip it in the Bud..

Now foreshore is usualy on the outside not in the barrel..

Do not take it back to the smith who said that,he might be trying to get it cheap,Flog you another and Hone the Barrel out..

Best of Luck what ever you decide to do,its your call..

Sub.

If you like the gun and you shoot well with it don't worry about it. Just carry on using it. So what if there are a few minor pits up the tubes. It isn't a safety issue. If you had a ported barrel they'd just drill a load of holes in the end. All of the old guns years ago had pitts up the tubes. I've got an old AyA #4 in the collection that has loads of big Pitts up the tubes. I take out a lot just because I shoot well with it. The gun doesn't have much financial value if I were to sell it so why get rid of it. Just keep cleaning so that they don't get bigger. Use Ed's Red and a phosphor bronze brush and hard work. They could even be plastic residue or stains of some sort. Just keep shooting.

Edited by fortune

Not sure how you would get pitting through the chrome into the barrel walls. Damage from steel shot contacting the chrome lining and scraping and wearing it away I could understand.

I'd want a bore scope down it after cleaning it with a suitable product to remove plastic fouling and lead residue.