Looking for a PCP in FAC

byhsu

I want to get a .22 PCP, would like to know which one you would recommend. Want to be able to hunt up to 70 meters, mostly rabbits, squirrels and pigeons.

Looking at the Falcon FN19 or FN12 with Raptor action and the FX Tarantula, Would like to know if the specs on the Webley FX2000 are the same as the Tarantula in Power. Anyone with details, would appreciate your input.

Don't go for an FN12 in FAC. I have a 12 ft/lb one and it's good for about 40 shots. If you put it up to anything more than that, you're looking at only getting a couple of shots between fills.

I'd say 70 metres is getting a bit ambitous. At that sort of range you'd be better off going with .22 RF which is going to be quieter and more accurate in a crosswind in any case.

If you are serious about the FAC air rife, have you considered a Logun S16 or an FAC only Threoben?

I'd really consider a .22 RF though, for th money you'll pay for a decent FAC air rifle, you'd be looking at making a severe saving buying a normal rifle. Do a price compare on a CZ 452 Silhoutte and an FAC S16 and see how much you'll save.

Wookie

I have an FAC Rapid 7 and it's good for rabbits out to 60 - 70 yds, trouble is I'm not quite good enough (yet) to use it's capability. Would go with the previous thoughts on going for a rimfire etc, but if that is not a prospect that suits you, consider a S16, Logun Axor or Rapid 7. I might be temted to shy away from the AA 410, as the overall length starts to get a bit too long.

:lol: Dan

Righteous!

I can't believe I actually said something sensible! Time to break out the diary and make a note!

The Eliminator was the Teoben I was thinking of, either that or the FAC Rapid 7. Maybe even the MFR...

Wookie

Wookie:

I just love airguns, so would like to stick with a FAC PCP instead of a rimfire. The pellets are much cheaper than the .22 rimfire, plus I can get some moderator on the rifle and will make it really quiet. Can't do the same with a firearm. How is the quality of the Logun Axsor? I have heard they are not too good. Also isn't that gun basically the same thing as the FX Tarantula and the Webley FX2000?

Who makes the FAC Rapid 7?

Yep, Theoben makes the Rapid 7 and the Logun Axxxxxsorr is a mighty fine piece of kit.

However I think that you are slightly off track rating an air rifle over a .22 out of hand.

You can make a .22 effectively silent if you use sub sonic rounds and their stopping power is far better than a 30 ft/lb air rifle out to 100 m. At that sort of range, the accuracy they give you is limited by _you_.

As the round is heavier, it is affected by the wind less and it will get there quicker. it will also drop less.

To be honest, cost doesn't really come into it. Ok, so you pay 6 quid per 50 or 6 quid per 200... The rifle is cheaper, you don't have to lug a cylinder around with a fill rig (saving you 100+ quid) and they are potentially lighter than an air rifle.

Think how long it will take you to shoot 100 quid's worth of ammunition in both cases and then realise that that will come _free_ (effectively) with a .22.

Also, if you land is going to be assesed for an FAC anyway, you might as well go for the .22.

I've said all this and I don't even own a .22 RF. My weapon of choice is a non-FAC FN12 Raptor Lighthunter. and I've got 45 acres of bunny infested paddock and parkland to shoot on. Mind you, if I can persuade the missus, a .22 RF is on the cards, because it is far more _effective_ at getting rabbits and that is the point.

Wookie

P.s. Saying that, I wouldn't mind a Fenman either....

fisher Mike:

The reason I asked about the quality is because I have read many reviews in reviewcentre.co.uk which states that the quality of such rifle is not up to other PCP's.

Wookie:

I already have firearms, but want to get a PCP for fun, also where I am from, USA, they don't allow silencers on firearms, but for PCP's is ok. My range of hunting will be up to 75 yards and mostly my prey are rabbits, squirrels, pigeons and turkey.

Ah! Well that puts a totally different spin on things!

I'd say go with an S16 or a Theoben PCP then. Have a look at the Theoben website for velocity figures and then use a ballistics calculator to see how much a pellet will drop over that sort of range.

Mind you, they're going to be pricey for "fun" usage!

Wookie

byhsu

I have a theoben Rapid .22 @ 30ftlbs and it will kill humanely at 70yards no problem if your accurate enough. I suggest if you go for it you buy a good scope to match the cost of the rifle as the scope is equally as important, especially at longer ranges when clarity is usefull. I had an AAs410 in 12ftlbs which was an excellent gun but offered few shots per charge whereas the rapid offers 50 plus I carry a spare bottle on some days. overall and excellent gun and a lot lighter than the springers or a BSA superten, with the added bonus of magazines, offering fast pellet cycling.

• 2 weeks later...

FAC Rapid, without a doubt, try to get a second hand one with the Anchutz barrel, they are now knocking them out with 22 inch Lothar Walther ones (Anchutz is 19")

All the ones with Anchutz barrels are pre 10,000ish (SN)

Get a bipod for it and you will be able to snipe game at 70 yards no sweat, I wouldnt go any further than that simply because Im not confident enough yet but Id say the gun would be up for it ok, I was plinking with mine shooting a coke can @ 100 yards great fun :lol:

In the US a magnum air rifle is more versatile than a normal firearm as you can use it in suburban areas and pretty much everywhere firearms arent allowed, shot capacity is good, you can fill the gun to 3100psi for better consistency or to 3200 for more shots. One tip is to get a 300bar big capacity divers tank , when I bought my gun I got a 15ltr 232 bar job and emptied it in an afternoon, I only get 20 good fills out of this bottle.

A friend of mine has the S410E, a good gun but has 3-4X more fps variation than the Rapid.

Its also by far the easiest FAC PCP I have ever cycled(14lbs of cocking effort) when you are filling the magazine no pellets can fall out of the mag, unlike some rotary magazines.

Customers in the States have had some serious quality issues with Daystates and Loguns(see the yellow forum and Review centre) But in the UK they are luxury guns that are reknown for their steadiness. The Beeman Super Rapid 7/12 as it is known in the US as Im sure you will know is a much sought after gun, if you look after it it will last you a lifetime.

You can also turn the power up or down(20-30ftlbs I think) to suit different pellet weights as at 30 it will blow lightweights apart. I tend to run mine at 25 with 16 grn lead Exterminators, its clocking just over 900fps (.22) and shoots flatter than a 12 ftlb .177, it is a quite expensive rifle in the US of A but well worth it.

There is a review by an American guy who tests a .177 version here: http://www.airguns.net/reviews/super17.html

Check it out and see for yourself mate. I can recommend this gun as I own it and know a bit about it, if you like Ill get my mate who owns the S410E to send you an email with a bit of info on that, of course he will sing its praises but he has a deposit down on a Rapid after seeing mine! :P:P:P