Mossberg 500 issue

mossberg-operator

I had a situation where I sprayed chain grease into my 500 to quieten down the action. It worked very well until one cold snowy day the dog bolted a rabbit out of cover and all I got was a click. I became a beater with a fence post Mossberg for the rest of the afternoon. On inspection the grease had hardened and slowed the hammer so that it didn't have enough impact to fire the primer. Yours could be a clogged action, a broken or worn part. They are pretty robust. Apart from that it hasn't ever had a problem. The main irritation that mine has is that it is a 3"and if I stuff more than five 2-3/4 in the tube, it will try to get 2 on the elevator at the same time which takes me a bit of a technique to deal with.

Edited by fortune

Try:

1. Different ammo

2. Repeat "Step 1" a few more times

3. Check the chamber is CLEAN - even stick a shotgun barrel brush into an electric drill chuck & have at it....

Then get a toothpick to make sure no residual dried grease is in the chamber rear where the cartridge rim sits

4. Get the trigger assembly out to make sure nothing is interrupting (slowing) the hammer fall - a good spray from a can of brake cleaner will shift any dried grease/carbon junk

5. Ditto for the bolt; strip it apart & make sure nothing is stopping/slowing the firing pin movement

6. Check that the barrel lock up is secure & ZERO movement in the barrel in the forward/rearward axis

Pumps are basic guns, so have basic failure modes & that's IF they ever start acting up, which is not a common occurrence for this mechanism type

I ran my 870 for a couple of years before noticing it had never had an ejector spring in all the time I'd owned it!!