First time i have seen an adder in the wild.

halight

post-16608-0-49022100-1504374685_thumb.jpg

Hi all.

This last week the family and I have been on holiday to Borth in Wales ,

While walking down a country lane on a day out Hiking we spotted something moving over the over side of the road. I thought it might have been a snake but as i have never seen one in the wild in the UK. I did not really believe it. I went over to have a look and Wow its was an adder ! I'm 37 years old and I have never seen a snake in the Wild in the UK. I have been lucky enough about 12 years ago to see a common Lizard in the Wild but never a snake.

I had my wife and twin girls with me at the time so we all went over to have a look and take a photo. It was quite a busy country lane so I picked the little fellow up and helped him over the road. (I have handled snakes before) While we too a couple of photos 5 cars drove around us. I told both of the girls how lucky they were to have the chance to see a snake out in the wild in this country as you don't come across them very often.

Just thought i would share my story with your all.

I have seen several when walked up shooting in Scotland. Although we humans wear heavy boots, gaiters etc, so a bite is unlikely, there are occasionally dogs bitten. This can be serious if on the paws/legs, but can be fatal if around the head/mouth. Fortunately the snakes usually move away as approached - and also most dogs are wary of them by instinct.

I 've seen many grass snakes but never an adder .

Your truly lucky .

And wonderful to share with your kids .

I have never seen a grass snake.

I have been told many times that there are both living in area's not far from where i live but when ever i have visited them i have never been lucky enough to see one.

Not a great fan of any snakes, But I don't think some people give adders the respect they should especially at this time of year when its getting cooler and they are slowing down a bit, saw a cow that looked like it had been killed by an adder!

saw a cow that looked like it had been killed by an adder! :hmm: ok

my springer bitch got bitten on the cheek last year by an adder,seen it after curled up round a hole ,vets did a good job looking after her.

had a face like elephant man, was only young at the time,

stay away from certain areas now on sunny days.

Edited by Remimax

I know of a HPR that got bit by an adder, a big strong GWP, the handler had only borrowed it but noticed it peeing blood, vet said just monitor it. Don't think it needed any vet treatment.

Even a strong healthy adult probably wouldn't need treatment for a bite, so seriously doubt it could kill a cow unless it bite the tongue or someting

seen a few over the years, my neighbours found 1 upstairs in there house, a young 1 must of got lost. Found a load of shed skins behind my house to below a pile of brash.

An old tree planter I know used to have some cracking adder stories, they use dto come across them all the time, and play tricks on each other.

The Ozzy's used to do the same out bush except with brown snakes, which are deadly to man, thankfully for me, kiwis and pom's they would kill the snakes 1st.

Pretty sure it's an offence to even handle an adder without having a licence to handle them

I know of a HPR that got bit by an adder, a big strong GWP, the handler had only borrowed it but noticed it peeing blood, vet said just monitor it. Don't think it needed any vet treatment.

Even a strong healthy adult probably wouldn't need treatment for a bite, so seriously doubt it could kill a cow unless it bite the tongue or someting

seen a few over the years, my neighbours found 1 upstairs in there house, a young 1 must of got lost. Found a load of shed skins behind my house to below a pile of brash.

An old tree planter I know used to have some cracking adder stories, they use dto come across them all the time, and play tricks on each other.

The Ozzy's used to do the same out bush except with brown snakes, which are deadly to man, thankfully for me, kiwis and pom's they would kill the snakes 1st.

Pretty sure it's an offence to even handle an adder without having a licence to handle them

May be you should have a read of this

http://www.xlvets-farm.co.uk/sites/xlfarmpublic.co.uk/files/sa-site/press-articles/Cow_Management_August_2014_0.pdf

Seen a good few around the Yorkshire wolds over the years. Always gave them a wide birth and left them be.

Nice to see you posting again halight :good:

Hi mate,

I hope all's well with you. Its been a long time since i have posted, I just haven't found the time. I do come on from time to time and have a read. I enjoy reading peoples reports about their day's out. Lot's have been going on here over the last few years. The kids being young have taken up lots of time. But made some fantastic memory's with them. They are nine years old now and will be going into year 5 next week! Can not believe the time's gone so fast with them .

They love the outdoors but as they are getting older they are becoming more girly girls. Still i believe that they will always carry with them a love of the out doors and of nature . My one girl loves foraging . We go together about once a month to see what we can come across.

I would have normally just taken a few photos and left the snake alone. But this road was very busy and i really did not want the little fellow squashed . I know that they can bite and i know that they are venomous, I believe that for most humans that a bite can be very very painful but if bitten and checked out by our wonderful NHS most humans would be fine. I took a risk but i have handled snakes before and i believe i did so safely. With warnings to my two girls never to handle one if they are ever lucky enough to come across one themselves.

It was a lovely Hot day and it was coming unto tea time. So even though the whole area was covered in direct sunlight I would say he had come onto the road to make the best of the day's heat. Like some of you have said.

Good t hear about the recovery of everyone's dogs that have been bitten.

We also came across some very large dragon fly's while we were out. But we could not get any good photo's in time, Quiet disappointing that as i have a love of dragon fly's.

Thank's everyone for their comments.

I have never seen an adder away from Heath/ moorland, and I have never seen a grass snake away from water. I have never seen any reptiles on arable land, and IMO the plough has exterminated reptiles from vast areas of the country.

I have never seen a slow worm anywhere.

I have never seen a grass snake or a slow worm.

Next on the list to look out for , Might take me years.

I used to fish some disused chalk pits in North Kent and on hot days almost every spot of exposed chalk would have an adder sunning itself on it.

This is the only place in Kent I have ever seen adders, plenty of grass snakes everywhere , but the adders seems to be quite localised.

Beautiful to see and harmless if left undisturbed.