My old terrier type dog has started going for it's companion. Why?

jam1e

We have 2 dogs (bitches). Both rescue. Both came neutered. The one is a black and tan smooth haired stubby nose little terrier type. Not sure on what mix. Maybe a little bit of "Staffy" as her front legs have always had that slight bow look to them. She's knocking on maybe 12 or 13 now, and we've had her around 6 to 7 years. And bar buying her a little pouffe to help her get on the sofa she is still quite active. Her hearing is starting to suffer as is her eye sight. But she can hear you if you raise your volume a little and isn't bumping into anything and does look at you when you call her name. (Millie) She was badly abused by her previous owners, but has come on hugely with trusting men again, (she was fine with women). Although she has never had any interest in any toys, or "playing" what so ever. She's not much into being fussed a lot and never has been, she likes her space, which we give her. But she is always pleased to see us in the morning, or when we return if we've popped out.

The other, (Maisie) is around 4 years old, and we had her from an older pup. She's white and tan English Spaniel looking cross, slightly bigger than Millie. Doesn't seem to have been too badly treated, bar docking her tail right at the root. She's a lively girl, nice temperament and loves her toys and playing with balls and the like. And enjoys fuss. No jealousy about her toys, and only growls a little if Millie goes near her food bowl. That's always been the case, so they've always had to be fed apart. But bar that, they'll happily spend hours together and go mad checking the other over if one has been to the vets for anything.

They're fine standing next to each other waiting for a treat, and also regularly clamber over each other on the sofa, and sleep next to each other.

Sorry about all that background, but i think it's needed.... To the point now.... Now and again, just like most animals, they will snap at each other, sometimes we don't even know why, but they've never made contact with one and other and just walk off in different directions. But in the last couple of weeks, the old girl Millie has started really going for the other and we've seen it a few times now. And it seems like for no reason at all??? Tonight the old girl went for the others throat twice in half hour! There was no reason for it. No food or bowls out, no treats, fuss or nothing to row over. The younger one is usually fine within a few minutes after one of these outbursts, (As the older one Millie is the dominant one). But tonight something is different. The younger dog is very reluctant to get off the sofa tonight. The older one is right up the other end too. (Corner sofa) And even if she moves her position slightly the older one starts groaning, more than growling and stares at her. The younger one is absolutely terrified now. Yet they've had worse outbursts before. I'm taking the older one to the vets tomorrow to see if they can find whats up.

Any members out there seen this in their dogs before?? Or has anyone got any constructive opinions on what might be happening??? We love our dogs to bits, so the whole family are upset by today's events.... I'm just really concerned the vets going to say shes just getting old and grumpy. As this leaves us where we are with potentially no improvement and maybe worse to come! :unhappy:

Could it be the start of dementia.

We had a cat who was a real softy. As he got older he became very aggressive and our vet diagnosed a form of dementia.

Another possibility is some illness that is causing some pain and resulting aggression or it could be thyroid imbalance which can cause behavoural changes. Thyroid problems are easily sorted with tablets in dogs once the bloods tests are done.

Trip to the vet is the best plan to get her checked as it could easily be something minor that could be sorted.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

I had this with my three collies years ago. We introduced a pup when the two older sisters were around eleven. They got on fine until one of the older collies eye sight and hearing started to go. The pup was around two or three at that time.

The older collie would sometimes for no apparent reason go straight for the younger dog and if disturbed would lash out.

Our vet said it was due to insecurity and fear of the other younger dog taking over the dominant role. In the end we muzzled the old girl and she slept in a crate where she felt more secure.

I'll add, she wasn't locked or forced in the crate. She chose the option. Often with a blanket over it.

Thanks for the replies folks. I did think maybe old and grumpy/insecure due to aches and pains. Also the dementia.

Having just looked at them, they're now curled up back to back on the sofa asleep! Still, as you folks have said, a trip to the vets....

Cheers.

What I have to say is based on experience of one dog and I am not a vet, so ignore if you wish.

My black lab was a lovely very people orientated dog (as most labs are) but in its last days began to growl at people for no apparent reason, I came downstairs one morning to find him barking flat out at a rucksack, and then rather aggressively he growled at me....a quick word and a stroke, and the tail wagged again...but i knew at that point something had changed. He was however 17 and I'd felt for a while it was time to say goodbye....but of course the rest of the family disagreed. All agreed a few weeks later.

Sorry for the sad story!

Cheers

Aled

Ive a spaniel 15 and a lurcher 11 in one kennel and two year old lurcher pups in the other kennel , the old lurcher suffers the pups jumping about over her as it usually means she gets out with them and tags along at the back , the spaniel never gets out the garden just does her own thing being nearly blind and deaf just follows the sun round the garden i take turns in letting the older dogs out them a couple of hours later the pups and they are rotated so there no locked away for too long , the spaniel loves laying on the back door step it used to be opening the door would move her but now you got to nudge her with your foot before she realises your there and she moves . If you let the pups out she heads straight to her bed in the kennel and if the pups are daft enough to follow you hear the yelp where shes bit them but she never does it in the garden or in the run >

I think shes stating enoughs enough this is my area ?.

Did you get to the vets Jam1e?

Have you tried giving the old dog a really good fondle?

Running your hands all over her it might be the old girl has got lumps and bumps or sore spots and doesn't want the younger dog stepping on her while she is lay down,

we had this with our old boy, he once growled at our son as he knocked him when he was lay down thinking it was the young pup charging about, he just wanted to be left alone once he was settled down.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the late reply folks. And thanks for all the advice. It was partially down to insecurity due to reduced hearing and sight. However, i asked for a blood test to be done, and we had a call some hours later asking if they (The vet) could have her for a full day the following day. At this point i knew it wouldn't be good news.  After picking her up at the end of the following day, we got the news i was dreading......

She has very advanced liver and kidney Cancer, and there is nothing that can be done. All we can do is put her on 3 types of medication for the short term. 2 to help her liver and kidney, and tramadol for the pain. I pointed out that 99% of the time, she eats her morning and evening meal, and is keen to go for a walk with the other dog (Maisie). The vet has advised us to keep going for now, but her life expectancy is 6 to 8 weeks. What a nice Christmas present.....:sad1: So for the time being she is with us, and being treated like a queen with plenty of treats, ham, boiled chicken, and Pat'e. Her favourite. When she stops enjoying life, and or food, I will know it's time to take her to the vet and send her on her next journey......

Chaz.

its not what you want to hear but when the time comes do you know what's going to happen? I've had to take two dogs this year to be put to sleep and it happens really quick, I'm saying this so you know to say a good goodbye and give the dog a really good love before the vets does there bit as before you know it its done, sad I know but probably better to be warned.

good luck.

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

its not what you want to hear but when the time comes do you know what's going to happen? I've had to take two dogs this year to be put to sleep and it happens really quick, I'm saying this so you know to say a good goodbye and give the dog a really good love before the vets does there bit as before you know it its done, sad I know but probably better to be warned.

good luck.

I have had the unenviable task before, and it never gets any easier. But thanks for the heads.

Jamie.