Magical sight and sound.

catchthepigeonmutley

Two small spitfire like planes flew over Leyland on Friday, don't think they were spitfires but no idea what they were doing other than having fun??

I think what you saw were the two of the Silence Twister aircraft flown by the Twister Aerobatic Team, they have the classic Spitfire elliptical wing.

Here is a link to the team website;

http://www.twister-aerobatics.co.uk/

Unmistakable sound that engine.

For whatever reason they (the odd 1 or 2 that are left) seem to overfly my area from time to time!

There's more than the odd 1 or 2 left, and a whole industry restoring old ones and building new ones.

The Spitfire is the aircraft I see and hear most, usually most days in the summer. There's a twin seater at Duxford that takes paying pasengers and I'm on it's flightpath. Plus usually get overflown when any airshows are on by the BBMF, B17 etc. Sure does beat being overflown by passenger jets.

Edited by TriBsa

The BBMF Merlin engined aircraft are currently grounded because of an engine problem. BBMF have two Griffon engined Spitfires that are filling the gap as best they can.

There are quite a lot of Spitfires still flying, whether BBMF's problem will affect them all remains to be to seen.

Vic.

I think what you saw were the two of the Silence Twister aircraft flown by the Twister Aerobatic Team, they have the classic Spitfire elliptical wing.

Here is a link to the team website;

http://www.twister-aerobatics.co.uk/

It could have been them not really sure, I just saw two planes flying close which is what got my attention possibly heading from Southport area heading east?? I should have had a better look 😎