Bean Frustrated

Wooder

Just drove past the bean stubble field I shot at the weekend without much sucess,must have been 200 birds on it and more joining all the time, funny how this field hasnt been un-atractive for the last two weeks and now there are birds all over it, I think it is definatly something to do with the beans sofening with the wet weather, noticed at the week end quite a few of the beans had started to split and put out little shoots. Currently sat at work unable to concentrate feel a sicky coming on!!!!!!!!!!

Like I mentioned in another thread, I don't think the pigeons care how hard the beans are. Sometimes pigeons don't feed on fields that are easy pickings. I looked at a field of spring barley last night. I don't think I have ever seen so much grain left over. It was cut three weeks ago and whilst there has been interest from pigeons, there hasn't been enough to excite me. If the stubble is still there in another three weeks it could be a different story.

Edited by motty

My farmer had around two hundred acres of beans in four fields and although I have visited the fields every day since harvest, there have never been more than a dozen birds down on the stubble. The stubbles have now been ploughed and I am hoping that the beans will have softened and will attract birds in bigger numbers. Going to have a look this morning, but with no great hopes.

arrived at the bean field, flagged the top half of the field off as this is near a cottage and the birds seem to know its safe there. started to set up, when a tractor pulled into the field with discing equipment. guy said sorry going start discing the filed. packed up moved to an adjacent wheat stubble fileld, sat there all afternnoon for 6.

better than being at work! bean stubble gone for another year, but rape going in this week.