Vintage Motorcycle

nabbers

Sun Villiers, 98cc, runs ok, 1952, once belonged to The Duke of Sutherland's Estate, the one that Rudolph Hess parachuted in to meet, probably got used by the game keeper though not His Grace..... Plenty of history with it....cheap motoring 130 mpg, no MOT needed, free tax.... £1600.

Pic:

sun-villiers.jpg

Edited by Dunkield
embedded picture

I think there are probably only 3 or 4 of these left in useable condition so its very rare. Villiers 1T engine primarily produced during 1940s. It has original tool box, thumb throttle 2 speed. Good for 30mph. I'd consider swaps, but I'm selling to finance a cheap Land Rover project.

I think there are probably only 3 or 4 of these left in useable condition so its very rare. Villiers 1T engine primarily produced during 1940s. It has original tool box, thumb throttle 2 speed. Good for 30mph. I'd consider swaps, but I'm selling to finance a cheap Land Rover project.

Is there such a thing ???

I think Hess visited a different duke (Hamilton), but it’s still a lovely little bike. When new, how did it compare price-wise with the Bantam, Fanny-B, etc, and how many were produced?

Cannot buy it because there is no space for any more vehicles. Even my old LE is languishing behind a load of other junk, awaiting restoration (as it has been since last used for commuting to work in 1976).

My typo, it was owned by Hamiltons Estate not Sutherland!

Blurb from when we bought it at auction in 2007:

Sun started life as a cycle manufacturer and built its first motorcycle prior to WWI. Motorcycle production ceased at the end of 1933, resumed briefly in 1940 and then recommenced properly in 1946 with an autocycle. The firm concentrated on Villiers-powered lightweights and first introduced its ‘Motorcycle’ (there appears to have been no specific model name at this time) in 1949. Sun’s Motorcycle was powered by the Villiers 1F 98cc engine, which was housed in a rigid frame equipped with girder front forks. The 98cc model continued in production until 1958, latterly as the ‘Hornet’ with 4F engine and link-type front fork.

This smartly presented example once formed part of the Duke of Hamilton’s estate. Described as in good condition throughout, the machine recently completed the Eskdale Run and is offered with old-style logbook, current road fund licence, MoT to October 2008 and Swansea V5.

Edited by nabbers