Question for the bladesmiths on here.

la bala

I have made one or two knives in the past but never got into the grinding side of it. What degree of bevel would you put on a hunting style blade. I have recently purchased a bench belt grinder, and have spent a couple of hours making an adjustable grinding jig. Ok I could google it, just wondered if there were any like minded people on here what could give me some pointers, ie angles of grinds, what grit belts, that sort of thing. Obliged for any input.

You want to be somewhere in the 20 degree area - You can do it by eye mostly unless you're after a scandi grind which is flippin' difficult at the best of times and definitely needs a proper jig.

God knows what's on my belt sander but it does leather, antler, wood and metal and seems to have eternal belt life!!

Get ceramic grit belts if you can , I use 40g for serious hogging off steel then work up through the grits 40 60 120 240 after that I go to hand sanding as the real fine grit belts generate a lot of heat and wear very fast , if your grinding post heat treatment you need to dunk the blade in water between swipes on the grinder it keep it cool and not mess with your temper ,

What grinder do you have buddy?

The angle of the grind/ bevel will depend on a few things But I do mine by eye/ hand you'll soon get a feel for what works etc

Thanks for the input lads, keep it coming. Fatcatsplat that 20% will give me something to start with. Bigman I purchased a Scheppach, the belt is only 25mm wide but it seems to do the job, at the end of the day it was only a ninety something quider. I did order some ceramic belts in 60 grit, they seem to work well.

• 1 month later...

Bevel angle is entirely dependant on what type of blade you are looking to end up with. Full flat grinds are the hardest to get right IMO, but make for the prettiest blade. You can work out the angle required for full flat with geometry, but make sure to leave a bit of thickness on the edge ready to take the secondary bevel.

Some of my larger blades are only 5 degree or so grinds on the main bevels. I think that Scandi grinds are the easiest to do by far, especially if you jig-grind them ;)